Old March 13, 2002, 09:24   #1
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 17:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What can I spend all my money on? Rushbuilding?
I have amassed a rather large amount of gold, but I cant seem to find anything to spend it on. I am on a large continent and have killed every other civ on it, so I have to build some galleys and make contact with other civs. Is there anything I can spend my money on in the meantime? Rushbuilding doesnt seem to work the same way as it did in Civ2.
Old March 13, 2002, 10:41   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 15:41
That gold can disappear quickly if you use it to expand to distant lands. Those super-corrupt cities require one or two hundred gold per turn to rushbuild temples, bad guys, courthouses (if close enough to warrent them), etc. Find a new continent that would be worth a forbidden palace. Start shipping the settlers and spend your gold making them happy and expanding your borders.

Rush building a factory will cost about 700g. Save it for more modern improvements, or buy some universities. A rushbuilt harbor costs about 300g. If you rush build a cultural improvement, think of it as turning your gold into culture points.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old March 13, 2002, 11:10   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Also, bear in mind that rushbuilding works differently under despotism and communism than under the other governments. Under Despot/Commie, you work your people to death (forced labor) in order to rush things. There is very little you can do with money under those governments. Under the others, it works the same way as in CivII, except that it's more expensive.

Some advice: find those other civs, and become a republic asap.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 13, 2002, 11:34   #4
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Also, bear in mind that rushbuilding works differently under despotism and communism than under the other governments. Under Despot/Commie, you work your people to death (forced labor) in order to rush things. There is very little you can do with money under those governments. Under the others, it works the same way as in CivII, except that it's more expensive.

Some advice: find those other civs, and become a republic asap.

-Arrian
Thanks for that, I didnt realize your govt type affects rushbuilding.
Old March 13, 2002, 19:18   #5
Matrix@CF
Settler

Local Time: 23:41
I have also experienced the fact that don't know where to spend my money with, because I don't have monarchy/republic yet, or I'm at war and am better off as a despot or (rather) commie.

I mostly build it up then. Then when I am at another government (again) there are always things to spend it usefully on.

Stealing from another Civ has never been an option though. Far too expensive.

Now: play on the world as it is today...
Alicia Silverstone
Old March 13, 2002, 19:28   #6
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
Also keep in mind that when it comes time to upgrade your units, it will take a lot of gold, even if you have the Leonardo wonder. This is especially true once you get into the Industrial Era. That stockplie you have can disappear rather quickly once you start upgrading into units like Riflemen or Infantry, so it wouldn't hurt to have a few grand tucked away for that.

One thing you can do, if you really insist on spending your money, is give the other civs a generous gift, especially ones that you would like to have as allies. Giving them a bunch of gold out of the blue will go a long way to improving their opinion of you.
Old March 13, 2002, 22:22   #7
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 15:41
If you truly have money to burn, try espionage. Peek into every city building a wonder, do some subversive monkey business. Bye bye gold...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.