Old January 16, 2001, 18:15   #1
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:42
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Military Leaders Are in Civ3, So...
So, we now know, since it was hinted at on the official Civ 3 page, that "leader" or "general" units will appear.

quote:

Great nations can produce gifted leaders from history, each one capable of leading your civilization to martial glory. Whether helming an army on a distant battlefield or passing their personal experiences onto future generations of soldiers, these towering figures can single-handedly alter the course of history.

This raises a lot of questions in my mind. For example…

Are Leaders built, like military units or Wonders? Do they appear at random? Are they immortal, or do they eventually die? How are Ancient Leaders different from Modern Leaders, if at all? Do they fight alone, or can they only boost the power of the military units they accompany? Do they, like a Wonder, mysteriously affect the entire military of their civilization, or merely the ones around them? How fast can they move? Can they upgrade units or strengthen them? Can a civilization "build" or have more than one Leader unit at a time? Is there a higher maintenance cost for Leaders than for standard military units? Can they be disbanded? Can they be named or renamed? Do Leaders have any of the abilities of Diplomats or Spies? Do Leaders strengthen Diplomats or Spies as well as standard military units? When a Leader dies (or is destroyed in battle), does his military suddenly revert to "normal," or does it retain its strength? Are there special graphics for Leaders? How many? That is, do all Leaders look the same, or do Alexander, Napoleon, Pompeii, Attila, Patton and Robert E. Lee have distinctive graphics? How customizable is the Leader system?

Well, I suppose some helpful Firaxian might happen along and answer some of these questions… but in the meantime, what do you think would be the best way to implement military leaders?

(I'm a civilized, peaceful Civ player. All I care about is that the leaders are mentioned by name in the historical replay and maybe get their own "portrait" in your throne room.)
Old January 16, 2001, 18:28   #2
Brent
Prince

I don't think the leaders would be actual units. I think they would be something a little more like your high council members, or if you played Colonization, like your Continental Congress members.
Old January 16, 2001, 21:40   #3
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I like better the idea of them being special units able to boost troops stacked along with them, but actually very weak in combat (after all, they're still persons, right?)

So, what formerly was just a small army, with undisciplined troops, could become a nightmare to your powerful enemies in just a few turns...
Old January 18, 2001, 14:46   #4
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Local Time: 00:42
quote:

Originally posted by Fiera on 01-16-2001 08:40 PM
I like better the idea of them being special units able to boost troops stacked along with them, but actually very weak in combat (after all, they're still persons, right?)

So, what formerly was just a small army, with undisciplined troops, could become a nightmare to your powerful enemies in just a few turns...

I like this too, but dont make it too unrealistic, dont add way to many special things to armies that have 'generals' or 'leaders' with them, maybe a: +1 to attack, or +1 to defense, or both.

p.s. I agree that leaders should be easy to kill when they fight alone, after all, they are humans!
Old January 19, 2001, 02:14   #5
AzNtoccata
Chieftain

I think they'll probably be random mondifiers to armies. Like on # turn you get "a super general has been found (or something similar)" then you build a riflemen and then it'll be "So-so's riflemen" with attack defense move modifiers
Old January 19, 2001, 03:26   #6
Biddles
Prince

Local Time: 00:42
I think great leaders are in a sense "built" by the civ. If the civ has excellent training facilities or institutions then the occurence of leaders is going to be increased. (I don't just mean places like westpoint either, maybe a king takes his young son with him and teaches him military stuff, making him into a better leader). Of course the basic human personality for a leader has to be born or formed in early childhood, something that can't be controlled.

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission