Old December 30, 1999, 15:35   #31
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Local Time: 19:42
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Quoth Jeff:

Quote:
I won't engage in any wild speculation about a date, which is ALL any release date you hear about is.
Of course, and I'm not expecting any sort of official response to this blue sky session. I just saw that reference to a 3Q 2000 ship date and thought, "They obviously aren't exercising any common sense!"
[This message has been edited by Lee Johnson (edited December 30, 1999).]
Old January 3, 2000, 15:00   #32
Darkstar
Prince

Local Time: 18:42
I'm living on planet earth, Harel. How about you?

You can go digging for where they had stated that. I'd thought it would have been 18 to 24 months timeline for things of Civ2 caliber (for a small group of people that work decently together).

However, I do have a few friends in the Game Entertainment business, and they assure me that everything they've ever been connected with had somewhere between 0 to 6 months of futzing about before the team was dragged in, and then typically 4 to 8 months to hard deadline. A couple of those games are/were decent PC sellers, so taking THEIR word for it (and I've never caught them lying to me about things programming related), I am inclined to believe that typical, and not untypical.

Now, you have to remember, that TECHNICALLY, Civ3 is been in the making since Brian Reynolds began considering how to make the sequel to Civ2. How long has that been? A designer or two CAN "futz" about, laying out basic design for a long time, I'd suppose, before the project was given a green light. And if Sid has been messing about with Dinosaurs since before he left Microprose, that means Dinosaurs has been in "concept" for a long time. When did he first consider the idea? All good apps start as thought projects by their developers... You don't get a team together and just go forward when making games, do you? We don't in the real world apps. We decide what we are after... a designer considers what's needed. Perhaps for quite a while (seconds, hours, days, weeks, months, years) before code starts. Teams formed, design's specked and tightened.

I really don't expect most games happen too differently... aside from there is a vaguer target when it's started, it's still code. Code is code. You design, test, debug, and repeat. You close in on your target, one small step per coder per pass... until the deadline that was so far off suddenly starts looming at least... {If you want to know what happens during Crunches, well, that's a Coder's Secret. I could tell you, but then you'd have to be chained to a computer here for the rest of your life...}

-Darkstarr
(just ranting along... it's a slow monday...)
Old February 8, 2000, 10:48   #33
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Following the news of Brian's departure from Firaxis, my release date guesstimate for Civilization III is forthwith amended to 4Q 2001. I know that the people left behind are capable individuals, but you don't lose a major team member from a project without losing momentum--especially when he's the lead designer.

I'm just making this alteration in case somebody was planning to check my estimate next year.
Old February 8, 2000, 11:06   #34
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hope you are right about 4Q 2001, because I have fear of some rush to 3Q 2000 with some CIV III cloned from SMAC and full of bugs!

I hope Firaxis is not playing dirty tricks, because I'm earing from another game company that "a game is not property of developer nor customer (!) but of the distributor, that can chose when to deliver it, finished or not!"

If the quote I red on italian games magazine is correct, I think someone is going crazy.
I pray it will not happen the same with Firaxis.

------------------
Adm.Naismith AKA mcostant
Old February 8, 2000, 11:20   #35
Tim Train FIRAXIS
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:42
FWIW, (and I apologize if this has already been answered elsewhere) this game will not release in 2000 and has never been slated for that timeframe. We're still a long ways from figuring out a release date. We plan to make Civ 3 a triple-A title in every category, including of course art, design, AI, and playbalance; unfortunately these things take time. But happily, when we're there, you will have the best incarnation of the series, and we won't release it until it is the best.

Hope this clarifies!

Tim
Old February 9, 2000, 01:12   #36
MarkG

This is certainly time for.... the NewsMaker Man!! Using his powerfull news script he...

Seriously, great to see some more info coming out from Firaxis. Also very good to see that the plan is to make Civ3 "triple A" game. Don't worry about time Tim, I think we've learned to wait instead of screaming "give it to me, give it to me!"

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited February 08, 2000).]

Old February 9, 2000, 01:34   #37
zaz
Warlord

I was planning on buying a new system this year, but with that statement ("We plan on making Civ 3 Triple- A in every category"), I fear that anything I could buy today will not be up to spec when Civ3 is finaly released. This may keep a large portion of the gaming public from being able to buy the game. My current system is only 2 years old and already I can't play half of what's out there.
Old February 9, 2000, 01:53   #38
Hugo Rune

Buy a new system.

No, but seriously, too good graphics would mean a hit on the customisability on which Civ2 mainly built its following.

What will the Departure of BR mean when related to the release date?

Old February 9, 2000, 04:18   #39
Adm.Naismith
King

Tim Train, just because you post right after my "fear of" post, I want to thank you for the nice reply. I feel better now!

Hoping you won't be fired for your effort to make CIV III "as good as deserve, using the time it needs to"

------------------
Adm.Naismith AKA mcostant
Old February 10, 2000, 20:35   #40
NoviceCEO
Warlord

Local Time: 21:42
quote:

Originally posted by Hugo Rune on 02-08-2000 12:53 PM
No, but seriously, too good graphics would mean a hit on the customisability on which Civ2 mainly built its following.

OK dude. I've discussed this in another topic, so I will only give you a brief statement: Ain't Quake highly customizable?
Old February 11, 2000, 02:35   #41
Biddles
Prince

If it comes down to a choice between graphics and customization, graphics will win hands down. There will be a greater number of customers who lack either the skill or the will to customize the game, so they will be catered for with nice graphics. But that isn't so bad. Maybe Firaxis can make it so that you can download 3D meshes into the game files:

Loading 3D Studio Max R 2.5

Opening stormtrooper.max

Replacing infantry 3D mesh with stormtrooper.max

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
Old February 11, 2000, 03:45   #42
ACEofHeart
Warlord

My guess it will be released DEC 14th,2000.
But it won't be from Firaxis !!!
It'll be released only thru the Internet at brianreynolds.com
It'll be titled "Gotcha"
Old January 16, 2001, 14:42   #43
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Time for a mid-course correction. I am revising my ETA for Civ III from 4Q 2001 to 2Q 2002. If it ships before then I'll be ecstatic, but I don't think we'll be seeing it this year.
Old January 16, 2001, 18:23   #44
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:42
Okay, my votes are on Bob Hope, Pope John Paul II, Milton Berle, Boris Yeltsin, Elia Kazan...

Wait a minute. This isn't the Civ 3 death pool.
Old January 16, 2001, 21:51   #45
tniem
King

Spring of 2002. Just in time for the summer season so that I can't work to pay for the college semester that I had just wasted waiting for Civ III.
Old January 17, 2001, 09:18   #46
Adm.Naismith
King

No, I bet Civ III will be released THIS (2001) year. Ready or not.
They haven't Sid Dinos to sell in the waiting until 2002, as I supposed a year ago. Fresh money matters.

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old January 17, 2001, 09:33   #47
bagdar
Warlord

Local Time: 02:42
quote:

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith on 01-17-2001 08:18 AM
No, I bet Civ III will be released THIS (2001) year. Ready or not.
They haven't Sid Dinos to sell in the waiting until 2002, as I supposed a year ago. Fresh money matters.

And that's what makes me want ot believe a 2001 release also. Of course we don't want the game to be finished hastily, but it'll be almost three years if it's released toward the end of this year. Also, on the website, they say that they are hoping for a fully-fledged product site by spring-summer. How much later can the release be? I hope it doesn't take long to hit the shelves in my country.

speaking of a "release", I recall this:

some time ago, a conversation like this had happened:
friend: civ 3 is released
me: what? when? how? where did you see it?
friend: that's what this magazine says. but it's no longer Sid Meier, i think activision will release it. It says that there are many more improvements, advances and nations.

So as soon as I was finished with school business, I rushed to buy C(Drop it soon!):CTP Back then, what made me hesitate at first was that there was no Sid, and I was right in my prejudice. I'm sure that many of you, when asked for an explanation for rotten school grades, accused "Sid Meier", because that's what Civ means. Now I'm waiting for the *real* sequel and it WILL be magnificent.
[This message has been edited by bagdar (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old January 18, 2001, 11:01   #48
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Frankly, I doubt that Civ3 will be released before 2002. With a game that has to stand up to a legacy as large as Civ, it will take several months of bug fixing, and fine tuning. Firaxis wants to get this right, or else the Civ legacy will go down the drain.

------------------
*grumbles about work*

"Where hope has no champion, evil reigns supreme." - Magic the Gathering
"Peace and Prosperity through Democracy" - UAS Motto
"And thus begins Ragnarok, the end of all things..." - Starchild & YYYH
Old January 19, 2001, 02:06   #49
AzNtoccata
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:42
Not really, probably 2 strikes til firaxis is out =). Screwing up once isn't THAT bad, but still bad.
Old January 20, 2001, 01:12   #50
wittlich

When ever the release date is...I just hope that Firaxis/Hasbro doesn't release a lemon like Activision did with CTP2!