Old March 13, 2002, 18:57   #1
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Republic of Athens
Edit: Please rate this thread. I meant to put up a poll to rate it but forgot.

This was played on a mod I made giving all six advantages to everyone and the ability to build all UUs too. I am the Athenians (Greeks renamed) and I am located at the far north of my continent. On my continent there are:
The strong imperialist power of England to the East, with many colony cities.
THe one-city "power" of Egypt, almost destroyed by Athens awhile ago.
The nation of Germany to the south, who i had a war with earlier in which i gained konigsberg.
CHina to the far SOutheast, with lots of unclaimed land between them and Germany.

On the Eastern COntinent, there are:
THe Persians in the far north.
The very strong Romans south of them.
THe Iroquois to the east of Rome.
The Russians further south.
The Japanese on the southern edge. They are not as imperialist as England, but they have some colonies. They are my number one rival and i recently got into a war with them.

Also: The technologically backward Americans on another island east of Japan, and the somewhat strong Babylonians on two islands east of america.

Note: Each turn is referred to as a month in the story, although at this point in the game they are actually 10 years each.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal

Last edited by civman2000; March 13, 2002 at 21:39.
Old March 13, 2002, 18:57   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Chapter 1: The Cabinet Meeting
Pericles sat in his office in downtown Athens. As Prime Minister of the Republic of Athens, he was the most powerful person in the world. SUddenly, there was a knock on the dorr.

"Who is it?" he asked.

"Me," said the familiar voice of his Trade Advisor, Julian.

"Come in."

"Sir, we cannot afford to continue our alliances any longer."

"Haven't we already had this discussion?"

"But sir--"

"Wait!" The PM stood up and walked to the door. He called out to a staff member, and returned to his office.

"What was that about?"

"Themistocles should be here in a moment." Themistocles was his Foreign Advisor.

"And I'll call Nikolai," said Julian irritatedly. Nikolai was the Domestic Advisor.

"What the hell, let's just call together a full cabinet meeting." Pericles left again and returned a minute later with Themistocles. A few minutes later, Nikolai, the Military Advisor Lykurgos, the Culture Advisor Alkibiades, and the Science Advisor Herod.

"OK, Julian, what's your complaint?" asked ALkibiades, annoyed because he had been in the middle of a nap.

"Our luxury excesses are shrinking. Rome just culturally absorbed Parsus and took Persia's excess incense. Now, because we lack an excess in spices and already gave them ivory for an alliance against Japan, we can't trade them for it."

"Just how important is it that we get this 'incense'?" asked Lykurgos skeptically.

"Very important," said Nikolai. "Our people need luxuries, and we can't afford to take much more from the treasury. Ever since we lost the gems trade with China we've had happiness problems throughout the Republic."

"And we can't afford to decrease science spending to make up for it," chimed in Herod. "We have a very slim technological lead and we must keep it at all costs."

"But we can't just end the alliances," Themistocles protested. "Making peace would end the alliances but make enemies of half the world! Besides, it'll only be about a year until we can end them without upsetting our allies."

"But we can't wait a year!" yelled Julian. "BY then Rome will have traded it all to other nations!"

"Hmmmm...." said Pericles. "Lykurgos, what's the current status of the Russo-Japanese War?"

"Russia is losing. St. Petersburg has fallen, though there is an unconfirmed report that our and the Russians' Iroquois allies are about to liberate it. Novgorod and many other towns have fallen in the Asian Western Desert. Sir, we cannot end our alliances with the rest of the Eastern COntinent. Ties to us are the only thing keeping them all at war with Japan. THey will make peace and Russia will fall if we end the alliances. We cannot allow Japan to get much stronger."

"Alkibiades, you've been awfully quiet," remarked Pericles.

"Uhh, yeah, I'm kinda tired and we really wouldn't be affected much culturally by this decision," he replied, yawning.

"OK, I've made my decision," said the Prime Minister. "Someone, send this to the press: The Republic of--"

"We have not yet developed very advanced printing presses," interrupted Herod.

"Well then just tell the people that stand on the hills and yell out the news: THe REpublic of Athens shall maintain its alliances with the many nations of the Eastern Continent and shall remain at war with Japan for at least 9 more months."

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old March 13, 2002, 19:47   #3
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 12:42
Interesting, very interesting, but make sure you continue this. I want to keep reading.

Steele
Old March 13, 2002, 19:56   #4
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Interesting...

I prefer war mongering and taking over everybody else first though
Old March 13, 2002, 21:36   #5
civman2000
Emperor

I already know that . I've never attacked anyone, but the Germans attacked me, then the Egyptians, then the Japanese..though they all only did it after i refused to pay tribute...but they only gave me one chance!!!

PS: that list is incomplete, but i dont want to give away the story

Old March 14, 2002, 19:02   #6
godinex
Prince

Old March 14, 2002, 22:22   #7
civman2000
Emperor

Chapter 2: The Declaration of War
Seven months earlier, the PM had held his famous CAbinet meeting prolonging the war sitting in the same chair he sat in now. Nikolai was sitting next to him.

"So, only 2 more months untill we can end the treaties," the advisor said cheerfully.

"I only said nine months so the people wouldn't see it as too big a commitment," came the cold reply. "Our alliances still last four more month, and the one with the Iroquois lasts five more months. The situation in Russia is getting worse. England is building more and more cities, encroaching on our territories. Babylon is expanding onto a third small island." Nikolai could not believe how negative Pericles was being.

"BUt sir, Herod told me that we are on the verge of perfecting a new form of projectile weapons greater than any other known to man."

"Always on the verge, but never there. I give 'em at least 6 months before they ctually finish it. Meanwhile, everyone else catches up technologically and we lose our lead, and then we find out we lack the substance Herod's been calling 'saltpeter'in any large quantities."

"Quit being so negative!" scorned Nikolai, losing his patience.

"Shut up!"

Suddenly, Themistocles barged through the door. Gasping for breath, he said, "The-the G-germans dec-cla..." and fainted of exhaustion.

"What the hell?!" yelled PEricles. He ran outside and called for medical help. Meanwhile, he looked for Lykurgos and after a long search found him.

"Pericles! I've been looking everywhere for you! You weren't in your office, though Nikolai was there and it looked like Themistocles had fainted there. But quick, we don't have much time." He took a deep breath. "Bismarck met with Tokuwaga in Stuttgart yesterday, or at least we think so. Then, just three hours ago, a messenger came to Konigsberg announcing that Germany has allied with Japan and declared war on Athens!"

Pericles was speechless. It was so sudden, so unexpected! Finally, he said, "Come to my office. We must hold an emergency meeting."

Ten minutes later, the cabinet was assembled in the Prime MInister's office. Themistocles had been revived and everyone had found out about the declaration of war.

"May I make a suggestion?" asked Themistocles cautiously.

"Of couse!" replied Pericles as if it were a stupid question, which it may have been.

"Before we do anything, we should send a message to the embassy in Beijing. After all, China was involved and very helpful in the First German War, and they still don't like Germany much."

"Good idea. What about England?"

"So far Elizabeth is staying neutral, though she'd gladly join if we asked."

"Wait a second," interjected Alkibiades. SHould we let England have a piece of Germany? It would be very difficult to absorb their territory down there culturally, with England's rapidly growing culture."

"I definitely agree," said Pericles calmly. "England should be kept out of this."

"But PEricles, we still do control the Isthmus of Eretria. They will not be able to send any troops by land to attack Germany. In fact, they would probaly lose Birmingham and that would slow their imperialist growth."

"No. I will not allow English troops to stomp through our part of this continent attacking the Germans." And that settled it. "Now Nikolai, I want as many cities as possible to begin training immortals or troops with that new cavalry strategy, what's it called Lykurgos?"

"Actually, there are many variants. The basic strategy we call 'knights,' but there is another faster strategy we call 'riders' and yet another based on an ancient Japanese code of war called 'samurai.' We also have designed similar strategies for men on elephants. I suggest we focus most of our energy on training riders."

"OK, Nikolai, build riders in most southern cities and immortals in the low-production cities; The details are up to you," ordered Pericles. "And Herod, put everythin you've got into the new weapon research, so we can use it ASAP. Alkiabades, you'll get a budget cut, sorry. Julian, no changes. Now everyone but Lykurgos leave, we've got a war to plan."

Edit: Minor typo fixed

Last edited by civman2000; March 15, 2002 at 17:53.
Old March 14, 2002, 23:18   #8
civman2000
Emperor

it might be awhile till i get up chapter three..i need to play som more (i'm only about 8 turns ahead of the end of chapter 2!)

Old March 14, 2002, 23:31   #9
easthaven

Great story civman, I can't wait for the next chapter.

Old March 15, 2002, 00:14   #10
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Toosh pah, just wait til you get into a game where 15 other civilizations declared war on you
Old March 16, 2002, 00:50   #11
civman2000
Emperor

Title sneak preview for the next 2 chapters (already have them planned...):
Chapter 3: The War Begins
Chapter 4: The Fall of Berlin

Chapter 4 will probably be very long, the 2 turns it will cover in my game were very very big turns with lots of important stuff!

Old March 16, 2002, 00:51   #12
civman2000
Emperor

let me know if i'm giving away too much...

Old March 16, 2002, 10:52   #13
civman2000
Emperor

Chapter 3: THe War Begins
Five months had passed since the Second German War had begun. Lykurgos had been sent to command the army, and Agamemnon, Assistant Military Advisor, was the temporary new advisor. The first objectives had been Salzburg, Bonn, and Nuremburg, all of which had encroached on Athens for centuries. Pericles was sitting in his office, anxiously waiting for news of success or failure in the first round of attacks. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

"It's us," said the voices of Julian and THemistocles.

"Come in."

"Pericles, five months ago you said that in five months, we would be able to end all the alliances against Japan," said Julian nervously

"Hmmm...Yes, I think that's a good idea." Julian was visibly relaxed. "Themistocles, send word to the embassies of the Eastern COntinent that we are bringing an end to our alliances. And try to make peace with Japan."

"Sir, we cannot do that. They will not accept a peace treaty because it would break their alliance with Germany."

"OK, then don't bother with it." He paused.

THe door opened violently and Agamemnon rushed in! "Great news! All three of our objectives have been taken easily!"

"Excellent!" He picked up a map from his desk. "Do we have sufficient troops in the right places to take Frankfurt and Hamburg?"

"Yes, sir. SHould I send the order to Lykurgos?"

"Yes."

At this point a messenger rushed in. "THe Germans have attacked our worker corps near Konigsberg and taken them slaves, probably to Hamburg!"

"Agamemnon, make Hamburg #1 priority. We're setting these guys free! But don't forget, after taking Hamburg, go for Frankfurt before attacking Berlin."

Two months later, word came that Hamburg had fallen, and the slaves had been freed. One month after that, Agamemnon brought some mixed news.

"Sir, the good news is that Frankfurt has fallen."

"The bad news?"

"The Hamburgers have rebelled!"

"What??!!"

"THe Hamburgers have revolted!"

"Huh? I just had a humburger for lunch, and it wasn't revolting!"

"No, the city of Hamburg has revolted back to the Germans! Hoping to advance to Frankfurt quickly, Lykurgos left a small garrison in the city, and the citizens destroyed it!"

"OK then. Just take it back before taking Berlin. But get to Berlin ASAP. The people won't like dragging out this war too long."

Three weeks later, Alkiabades and Themistocles came to Pericles in his office.

"Amazing news!" exclaimed Alkiabades excitedly. "Syracuse has revolted and wants to join the Republic!!"

"Well then, I guess we should let them join."

"Pericles, this may anger Rome," said Themistocles.

"Oh well."

"You've got the final word. But I came to tell you something else. England is demanding that we give them spices for 20 months!"

"Give them the spices."

"Sir?"

"They will most likely declare war on us if we don't, and we can't afford that. Do it, I'm going to bed now."

A week later, on December 21st, the snow was coming down outside the Prime Minister's office. He knew winter would not make a difference in the war; Germany was almost exactly on the equator. An hour ago Agamemnon had told him Hamburg had been retaken, and Herod ahd said it would be less than half a year before the new weapon was perfected. Everything was going so smoothly, and Pericles began to think about the upcoming election, only 18 months away....

Old March 16, 2002, 22:37   #14
civman2000
Emperor

Chapter 4: The Fall of Berlin (and Its Consequences)
It was March 16, and warn weather had returned to Greece (pretty much the rest of the Republic was tropical and always warm, all except the core). Nearly three months had passed since the siege of Berlin had begun, and Pericles was starting to get worried and impatient. No messenger had come to Athens with a message about the war for 5 weeks now. As he sat in his office thinking about this, he began to doodle. After nearly an hour of this, he got up to leave and have lunch. Before he could leave though, there was a knock on the door.

"It's me, Herod."

"Come on in." The science advsior walked in and sat down in a chair by the prime minister's desk.

"Come, sit down," said Herod. "I am proud to announce that my colleagues and I have finally completed designing the new weapon, which we call a musket. The trick was to get just the right mix of a few other minor ingredients with the mysterious new 'saltpeter' to make a good explosion."

"Explosion?"

"Yes, the saltpeter mix, which we are tentatively naming 'gunpowder,' explodes inside the weapon and forces a large metal ball out at tremendous speeds."

"Amazing! Will you show me a sample this afternoon?"

"Sure. It is very loud, but effective. There is, um, one problem."

"What?"

"Obtaining large quantities of saltpeter." He pulled a map out of his pocket and put it down on the old desk. "You see, there are no known easily accessible supplies of saltpeter, although we have found a few sites where we think there may be some. See, here near Thessalonica, and over here pretty close to Argos, although we suspect that one or both of them is just confined to a very small area that will not be usable for long. Another curious thing is that there seems to be some near Hamburg, but unfortunately that will be untappable until the war ends."

"OK then, I'll tell Nikolai to construct large paths out to all three, and if--" and Agamemnon rushed through the door.

"Finally! Berlin has fallen! The messenger just arrived a minute ago! Unfortunately, Bismarck refused to surrender and fled to Leipzig!"

"Great," said Pericles smiling, and walking up to his advisor with what he thought was a map of Germany. "Where should we attack next, in your opinion?"

"What does that weird drawing have to do with the war??"

"Huh? Oops, I was doodling and picked up the wrong paper." He reurnde to his desk and got the actual map.

"I would say Heidelburg and Hannover should be our next targets," suggested Agamemnon.

"Hmmm. I agree. SEnd the order to Lykurgos."

Everything was going smoothly until March 29, when Nikolai met with Pericles.

"Cities are rioting because the people want peace. The most notable rioting--"

"I don't care about which cities, just do the standard entertainment increase."

"BUt Pericles, supporters of the peace movement took control of the Legislature in the last election. They may not approve of--"

"I don't care about them. I'm not ending this war until Germany is reduced to dust and we have Munich!"

"What's so great about Munich?"

"It control the SIno-Germanic Isthmus. With that isthmus in addition to Eretria, we would be able to keep everyone we don't like, absolutely everyone we don't invite in, out of our territory except if they come by ship."

And so the war continued as before until May 13th. On that day, Pericles was talking with Nikolai about the general state of affairs when the domestic advisor brought up a very important issue.

"Oh, did I tell you that we finished the path to the saltpeter sources near Thessalonica and Argos? Only the Thessalonica one seems to give very much, the one near Argos was very small."

"That's the best news I've heard since Berlin fell! Now I want you to create a mass mining and transport system, similar to the iron transport system."

"It'll be done before summer begins," he replied, and left.

As soon as Nikolai had left, Herod and Themistocles entered.

"Horrible news!" said Themistocles. "It seems that most of the world has designed a new, more advanced education system."

"It involves large quantities of academic centers called 'universities.' These universities pull the intellectual center of the world away from the Great Library of Athens, so others nations are no longer dependent on us! THis could have horrible effects on our world scientific leadership."

"THemistocles," began Pericles slowly. "I want you to find out which of the nations with this new system is the richest. Offer them gunpowder for this new system and a whole lot of money. THen, before the knowledge of gunpowder spreads very far, sell it to everyone else. We can then use to money to buy muskets for our military."

Herod looked horrified. "But PEricles, we cannot just give up our lead with gunpowder!"

"Yes we can. Actually, the new education system would benefit your department more than any other so shut up."

There was a knock on the door. "It's Agamemnon."

"Come on in, we were just discussing a new plan to upgrade our defensive forces."

"That's great, but I have something more important to tell you. A historian traveling with the army has sent back stories of atrocities performed by our troops agianst the Germans, and this has fueled the peace movement. But the news is not all bad! A man by the anme of Pyrrhus, a corporal of the 5th Riders Division, was the first to enter Berlin. When the other troops began committing the aforementioned atrocities, he convinced them to stop! We believ this also happened at Hamburg and Nuremburg, and it is said he played a key role in the capture of both cities. He has some support of the peace movement, and he is amazing at getting the people to love him!!"

"So you're suggesting we bring him back and give him power, making him a figurehead for popularity? If you are, the answer is no. However, I may consider giving him some high position, so have him sent to Athens."

The cabinet members left Pericles's office, and he imagined what this Pyrrhus might look like....

Old March 16, 2002, 22:55   #15
easthaven

two thumbs up!!

Old March 17, 2002, 10:33   #16
civman2000
Emperor

I think I'll attach the saved game with the last chapter...sneak preview:

Chapter 5: Pyrrhus Arrives
Chapter 6: The War Winds DOwn
Chapter 7: Peace
Epilogue: The Great Age of Pyrrhus and Pericles

Old March 17, 2002, 20:30   #17
civman2000
Emperor

Chapter 5: Pyrrhus Arrives
It was August 22, and a very aunny day in Athens. Hannover having fallen easily 25 days earlier, Pericles had been able to send a larger than normal force to Heidelburg and begin an offensive on Leipzig at the same time. From what he had heard, however, both cities would be difficult to capture. Heidelburg had now been under siege for nearly three months, but to the best knowledge of the Prime Minister it still was garrisoned strongly by the Germans. As he thought anxiously about these things, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in, Nikolai," he said.

The door opened and Nikolai stepped in. "How did you know it was me?"

"YOu have a strange way of knocking."

"Uhh, sure, whatever. Listen to this though. It seems that a man of Chinese descent named Sun Tzu in Sparta has written an amazing book on military strategy. He calls it the 'Wart of Ar,' no, oops, I mean 'Art of War.' He brought it to the mayor of Sparte, who, after skimming through it, brought a copy to me. Here it is." He held out a somewhat thick book, and Pericles took it. He began to read.

"This looks good! I'll give it to Agamemnon, I think he'll be able to use it as standard training so that all of our troops, everywhere, know some tactics without even setting foot on a battlefield!"

As Nikolai left, Pericles called out, "you should erect a statue for this Sun Tzu guy!"

Pericles began to leave to take the book to Agamemnon, when there was another knock on the door.

"What is it Julian?" he asked.

Julian walked in, looking very annoyed. "How on earth did you know it was me???"

"I've been memorizing the sounds of a few people's knocks."

Julian gave him a strange look, and then spoke. "Pericles, you missed the reception for Pyrrhus!"

"What? Pyrrhus, here today? WHy didn't anyone tell me???"

"He arrived an hour ago, and there was a big sort of parade-like welcome. I thought you knew about it, and then when I came to tell you about it, you weren't here!"

"I just went out for lunch! I can't be here every minute of the day!"

"Well, he's coming to meet you here in five minutes."

"Huh?"

"Remember, you said you would meet with him the day he comes at 2:10?"

"Oh yeah. Is it that late already??"

"Yes it is. You should prepare yourself in the little--" and there was suddenly a knock on the door.

An unfamiliar knock, thought Pericles. "That must be Pyrrhus," he whispered to Julian. "Are you Pyrrhus," he said in a commanding voice.

"Yes," said a quiet, refined voice, despite the fact that Pyrrhus was born a poor country bumpkin near Thermopylae.

"Then come in." A man that looked to be in his late twenties walked in, though Pericles knew he was actually only 24. He was very tall and skinny. "You mosdt likely already know that I am Pericles."

"Yes sir." He seemed to be very nervous.

There was an awkward period of silence, and Pericles finally broke it. "Pyrrhus, how would you like to share power with me?"

Julian was aghast. "But Pericles, you said that--"

"I have changed my mind."

Julian was horrified. "Pericles, sir, do you--"

"Leave right now," said Pericles angrily. Julian stomped out of the office. Pericles turned toward Pyrrhus. "After studying your background and popularity and I believe you are fit to do the job."

Pyrrhus was speechless. FInally, he said, "popularity?"

"Yes, didn't you know? The people love you. Hearing of your actions in the war, I love you too. I could appoint you my chief advisor. THe legislature would not have to approve because it would not have to be an official position."

There was another long silence. "I'm dreaming," said Pyrrhus.

"You aren't."

"Um, I guess..." he paused. "I-I accept."

"OK then. Whaddaya say about ending the war soon?"

"Sir?"

"I asked it you want to end the war soon."

"Um, yes, sir."

"Quit saying sir. OK, next Tuesday I want you to come here and plan how to endi it as quick as possible with me."

"Yes, si--oops, sorry."

There was a knock on the door. "Come on in, Agamemnon. What's new?"

"Heidelburg has fallen!" he said, opening the door. "Why, hello Pyrrhus."

"Hello."

"THat's great, Agamemnon. Put our entire force into the siege of Leipzig now. And please leave, I was having a private discussion with Pyrrhus."

"OK OK, sorry," said Agamemnon, and left.

Under three weeks later, on September 9th, there had been momentous change in Athens. Pyrrhus had used his popularity to get the people to work extra hard building a workshop for weapon design and other inventions. It was named Leonardo's Workshop for Pyrrhus's father, a blacksmith named Leonardo. Pericles's approval ratings were at an all-time high, anf the peace riots had ended. MAny cities had even held celebrations for no apparent reason, other than loving their leader. A road had been built to gain access to the rich gem mines near Marathon, and Pyrrhus had convinced Pericles to give many of these precious gems to the people as gifts. Nikolai and Themistocles broke the euphoria when they brought news that the Japanese had built a great chapel similar to the one that was being built in Delphi, and the Delphi chapel would be ignored by the world. But despite this, the people were happy, for one of them, Pyrrhus, was in power.

Old March 19, 2002, 23:26   #18
civman2000
Emperor

Chapter 6: The War Winds Down
WInter had come once again, and the electio was only 6 months away. Pericles's chances of reelection had been dismal, but Pyrrhus had changed that. However, as the war was not ending as promised, the original euphoria Pyrrhus had brought began to fade. Leipzig had been under siege now for over 100 days. Pericles was afraid he would have to remobilize to have a sufficient force to overrun the rest of Germany. While he sat thinking in his office, Pyrrhus came in for a scheduled meeting.

"Wow, is it already the 27th?" asked Pericles.

"Yeah, less than a week till the new year begins."

"Hmmm. Well, lets get started." He sighed. "THere's no end in sight at Leipzig, and it's killing my ratings."

"There is still half a year till the election."

"ANd what if Leipzig still hasn't fallen?"

There was a pause in the conversation. "Is Leipzig that important?"

"No, but Munich is. We can't get to Munich without Leipzig."

"What about just going around--"

"Pyrrhus, we can't let Munich be surrounded and culturally dwarfed by the Germans."

"Bismarck would probably give up other cities for peace."

"But not Leipzig, and Leipzig is all that matters other than Munich. They can keep Bremen and Stuttgart for all I care."

There was suddenly shouting outside. Agamemnon burst through the door with a slip of paper in his hand.

"Sorry to disturb you, but this just came from the battlefield." He handed the paper to Pericles and left saying, "let me know later if there's any deviation from the plan for Operation Sweep-Up."

Pericles looked at the slip of paper and read aloud: "December 26th. Official message from General Lykurgos to Prime Minister Pericles of the Republic of Athens: Leipzig has been taken! There have been very heavy losses, but the army is still strong. Reinforcements will probably be needed to execute Operation Sweep-Up. Bismarck cannot be found but we do not know where he has fled to, but I suspect Munich." Pericles put down the paper. "Munich! Of all places for that sad Bismarck to go build a small palace and establish himself!"

"It is not confirmed," said Pyrrhus. "And what is Operation Sweep-Up?"

"Our plan to spread out the army to take out the rest of Germany quickly after Leipzig falls. A plan which I will cancel. We can't afford to remobilize to send the needed reinforcements, and the war must be ended soon." He paused. "Go find Themistocles and Agamemnon."

Pyrrhus left and returned a few minutes later with the two advisors.

"Themistocles, send an emissary to the nearest German troops we know of and see what they would offer for peace. Have him note whether they accept any deals giving up Munich. If there is any city they will not give up at all, have him jot that down. I want a list of any deals they would accept involving us getting Munich, and the most that they'll give us without Munich involved." He turned to Agamemnon. "Agamemnon, abandon Operation Sweep-Up, I want--"

"But sir--"

"I said what I said. I want at least 75% of our offensive forces besieging Munich. Tell Lykurgos to take no cities other than Munich or Bremen without my explicit consent."

"But Pericles--"

"I AM YOUR SUPERIOR OFFICER!!!!!!" roared Pericles.

"Pericles," said Pyrrhus quietly. "Calm down."

Two weeks later, on January 10, Themistocles met with Pericles.

"Here are the reports from the emissary. The Germans would not make any offer giving up Munich, and their best offer only gives up two cities."

"So Bismarck is at Munich." said Pericles thoughtfully. "OK, file that, lets close the diplomacy until Munich falls. Anything else happening in your department?"

"Um, oh yeah, our alliance with China can be cancelled as of yesterday."

"It's already been 20 months? Man, time flies! Cancel it, please."

"That's all. Bye!" He left, and, as he closed the door, Nikolai opened it.

"We finally finished building your Southern Office in Ephesus. In honor of the name the Prime Minister who started it wanted it to have, we're calling it the 'Forbidden Palace.' THat is, if it's OK with you."

"Great! Um, sure, call it whatever you want!"

On February 18, Nikolai and Herod met with Pericles to discuss a budget change.

"Pericles, we need more funding or we'll fall behind!" said Herod.

"And I calculated that we would still have significant surpluses with the proposed 10% change," chimed in Nikolai.

Pericles closely read the papers they had brought him. Finally, he said, "OK, you can do it."

Later that day, Themistocles met with the Prime Minister.

"PEricles, in the past few months, many of our former allies have made peace with Japan. Rome, Iroquois...Russia is practically the only one still in the war. And Japan has dsicovered a design for a printing press, which Herod tells me is a very effective communication device."

"Ahh, I see. But a few months ago, when we attapted the same thing, they demanded that WE make concessions."

"That was only because they were still allied with Germany."

"You mean they're not?? Sure, I'll meet with them! GEt a meeting between me and TOkuwaga for the 23rd in neutral Rome."

"You yourself?"

"Yes. With Pyrrhus, too."

On February 24th, Pericles returned to his office with joy. He had made peace with Japan and gotten somewhat friendly relations by allowing a map trade in exchange for Tokuwaga giving him designs for the printing press as a part of the peace treaty. Now the only thing needed was for Munich to fall....

Old March 19, 2002, 23:27   #19
civman2000
Emperor

feedback please?

Old March 20, 2002, 00:26   #20
easthaven

Its Good! I like the flow of the story, very easy to read and get caught up in.

Old March 20, 2002, 01:01   #21
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Interesting story, but it makes things go by a little too... well, quick. I like it how small events are focused on.
Old March 21, 2002, 17:46   #22
godinex
Prince

You are a great sotory teller CIVMAN2000
Old March 22, 2002, 18:50   #23
civman2000
Emperor

Chapter 7: Peace
On March 13th, 1061, Nikolai and Herod came to meet with Pericles and Pyrrhus.

"I shall begin," said Herod. "WE have developed a new advanced musical system." He took a whistle out his pocket, and blew it. Suddenly, a group of various musicians entered. The music they played was beautiful. Pericles and Pyrrhus simply sat for half an hour, entranced in the music, which than finally ended. Everyone applauded the musicians, and they left.

"Who wrote that?" asked Pericles eagerly.

"A man by the name of Johann Sebastien Bach," answered Herod.

"Hmmm. Sounds German."

"His grandfather immigrated forty years ago," cut in Nikolai. "But why should his origins matter? It is amazing music, and it doesn't matter who wrote it!"

THe four men all thought about the music for a few more minutes. Finally, Pyrrhus broke the silence. "I have an idea. Remember the Delphi CHapel, that would have been world-famous if Kyoto had not built its 'Sistine Chapel'? What if we use this Bach man's music to enhance it, and build it up a bit to make it a full cathedral! The amazing music and design would make it a wonder of the world!"

"I think that's a good idea," said Nikolai. "And with the upgrades that we've been adding to the chapel for the last few months, it would only take a few weeks to make these upgrades!"

"Good, do it," said Pericles enthusiastically.

"Oh, before I leave, Pericles. There are more peace riots, THebes again along with some other cities."

"Pericles, I know we can just upgrade the entertainment, but listen to me," Pyrrhus said quickly. "Doing that will just put off more riots for a few months. The people will not have any true satisfaction. You have to--"

"Pyrrhus, I can't end the war. I may be able to make nationwide entertainment changes, or build cultural facilities, and I hope that will please you. But I cannot end the war until we have Munich."

On April 21, 1061, Pericles and Pyrrhus launched their campaign for Prime Minister. Aided by the new "printing press" device, they began advertising their attempt to jointly become Prime Ministers. They were in Pericles's office writing up plans for the campaign when Agamemnon entered looking rather triumphant.

"Munich is ours!!!!!!" he yelled with joy. "WE've captured Bismarck too, he should be in Athens the 26th."

"You're bringing him to me?" asked Pericles.

"Yes, for punishment."

"Wait a minute," said Pyrrhus. "SHould he be punished? That would not go well with the public, nor would it help maintain peace with Germany."

"But we can't just let him go," protested Pericles. "He did attack us, you know."

"But wouldn't we be in the same situation if we had started it? It's not a question of who started ti, it's a question of winners and losers. And I don't think we have to rub in our victory any more."

"Well then what are we supposed to do?" asked Agamemnon annoyedly.

"Bring him back here, but instead of punishing him, negotiate peace and return him to Germany."

"Sounds good to me," said Pericles. "Oh, and Agamemnon: is Lykurgos coming back with Bismarck?"

"Um, yes."

"Well, sorry, but you're going back to being assistant advisor again!"

Agamemnon cursed and left.

A few minutes later, after Pyrrhus and Pericles had gotten back ti work, Nikolai came in.

"Pericles, the Delphi Capel has been developed into what shall be called 'JS Bach's Cathedral. Also, Bach has been given a large subsidy."

"Great!" said Pericles. It seemed as if everything was coming to a happy end!

Five days later, on April 26th, 1061, Pericles and Pyrrhus waited patiently in the Prime Minister's office as guards escorted an angry Bismarck to the room.

"OK, what are you going to do to me?" asked Bismarck icily and with a thick GErman accent.

"Nothing," said Pericles.

"Please be merciful and don't toy with me and just kill me."

"We're just going to negotiate the terms of peace and send you back to Germany," said Pyrrhus.

Bismarck was dumbfounded. He began crying with joy, and kissing the feet of the two men.

"Get yourself together," said Pericles irritatedly. "What city do you want to rule from?"

BIsmarck was trembling again. "Uhh--uhh, COlogne."

"Then how does this sound: Germany shall cede all territory except Cologne and its surroundings to Athens. They shall also give their maps, treasury, and budget surpluses for at least 20 months."

"Aw, c'mon, have some mercy on the old man," said Pyrrhus. "Let him keep Stuttgart too, you yourself said you didn't care about it!"

Bismarck looked at Pyrrhus in wonder. This man, who had fought to destroy GErmany at Hamburg and Berlin, and the second representative of the wishes of Athens, sticking up for the enemy that some Athenians had decribed as "savage," "barbaric," or "full of aggresion"? He started to cry again.

"Correction," said Pericles. "Germany shall cede all territory except Cologne, Stuttgart, and their surroundings to Athens. They shall also give their maps, treasury, and budget surpluses for at least 20 months."

Bismarck could not believe the merciful treatment he was receiving.

Old March 22, 2002, 19:06   #24
civman2000
Emperor

Epilogue: The Great Age of Pyrrhus and Pericles
The news of the coming of peace and the great achievement of constructing Bach's Cathedral both in the same week overwhelmed the public. Parties were held in the streets, and the this time period became known as the "Great (or Golden) Age of Pyrrhus and Pericles." Pericles and Pyrrhus easily won the election on June 21, and established the standard position of Chief Advisor, who runs with the prime minister and takes over if they die in office. THe mercy of the duo and the Athenians became known throughout the world, and they gained international support. Athenian culture florished; freedom and happiness was everywhere.

On December 5th, 1062, Pericles was shot by an extreme rightist while giving a speech. The public outrage was extreme, and the gunman was slaughtered by an angry mob. Pyrrhus mourned for weeks, and finally actively took full power on February 2nd. Although he still heralded freedom and equality and power for the people, the golden age was over. Pyrrhus was elected Prime Minister for 5 more four year turns, but nothing was like the 20 month period from the coming of peace to the death of Pericles.

THE END

Attached is the savegame
Attached Files:
File Type: zip athstory.zip (219.1 KB, 2 views)

Old April 21, 2002, 17:23   #25
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 16:42
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Bump
Old story from the very bottom goes to the very top with my mischievious powers