Old March 13, 2002, 20:36   #1
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 21:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
how to provoke war between AIs
I need some tips. How do you get AIs into a massive w/o getting involve too much? Just like the USA in WWI, who sit around and built up massive army while Britain and Germany were dying in the trenches.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old March 14, 2002, 05:44   #2
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 23:42
Here's my tip:

Keep as good relations towards foreign goverments as possible. Being their friend usually provokes a war between them. This is part of my strategy how to win my total-war games in deity level

- Paul Valery
Old March 14, 2002, 12:32   #3
Spatzimaus
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:42
There's the cheap way and the expensive way.

For the cheap way, wait until you can get Mutual Protection Pacts. Make them with EVERYONE, if you can, but at minimum half the civs.

Then declare war on someone. If your only goal is to cause worldwide strife, make it someone far away, but in most cases it's better to have it be a neighbor so that during the confusion you can walk in and destroy him.
The moment an enemy soldier fights on your land, or an enemy ship shells your squares, all your allies jump in on your side. This tends to cause a cascading effect, because in the process of attacking this person several other nations will be pulled in (HIS allies), and when your allies attack those allies it triggers even more (in many cases, turning your allies against each other).

You, on the other hand, will only be at war with one civ. Assuming he survives, make peace as soon as you can. If this one civ is a neighbor you can usually wipe him out.

For example, I'm playing with civs A, B, C, D, and E. A is my neighbor. I make MPPs with B, C, and D, then declare war on A. A, in response to my declaration, attacks (usually by trying to sieze any workers near the border). The moment he does, B, C, and D jump in, but only B and C have a chance to take offensive action. But, A has an MPP with E, so they jump in. To top it off, E had an MPP with D also, so when B counterattacks E, D goes against B (while still both fighting A, my original enemy).
If I ever actually got around to attacking A, E would declare war on me, but since I picked the alliances such that E is on the other side of the world, I'm not too worried.

Also, make sure to agree to Right of Passage with any allies that border you, especially once you have railroads; this allows them to attack through you with impunity (since the victim won't be willing to interfere with your road network).

That's the cheap way. The expensive way is to buy Military Alliances, but once you get the MPPs it's SO much easier.
Old March 15, 2002, 11:37   #4
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 14:42
Novice question-- How do I create MPP's?

I often see offers of resources and techs but don't see option of MPP. Probably using wrong screen {foreign advisor} or some prerequisite is missing.
Old March 15, 2002, 14:13   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 00:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
To create a MPP you need to:

1) Have an embassy with the other civ
2) Have discovered Nationalism
Old March 16, 2002, 03:24   #6
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:42
Quote:
You, on the other hand, will only be at war with one civ.
What happens if some of the Civs attack each other and pull you in too?
Old March 16, 2002, 03:28   #7
Qilue
King

Local Time: 07:42
That's when you clear the table, give them 1gp and tell them piss off since your busy.