Old March 14, 2002, 22:36   #1
Free_Mumia
Settler

Local Time: 16:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Razing cities
I was playing Civ3 with version 1.17 @ my friend's house and I noticed that most of the cities I conquered were automatically razed. In my game (with the original version of Civ3) when I conquer a city a little message pops up and asks me if I want to raze it or keep it. Are the cities supposed to be razed like that in 1.17? btw this was on regent, don't know if that matters or not.
Old March 14, 2002, 22:51   #2
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Size one cities are automaticly razed unless there is surplus food. Since the AI maxs out production, there is little chance unless the AI is trying to build a settler. Then the AI sets up for pop growth, thus has extra food. This was a change implemented in the first patch.
Old March 14, 2002, 23:32   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:45
I don't think the limitation on auto-destruction is food. I believe it is culture.

If you capture a 1 pop city it is destoryed, UNLESS it has a cultural value greater than 0.

In other words, I have a size 2 city building a temple. I'm 10 shields away from completing it. I'm a despot. My neibour declares war. I want to switch all my cities to produce units, but I really want to finish the temple in this city. I pop rush it (cost 1 pop for the last 10 shields). The city is now 1 pop. 4 turns later, the city has not yet regrown to 2 pop. My enemy's Horsemen burst though and capture the city. The city remains even though it is only 1 pop, because it has produced a few culture points and is now important enough in the scheme of things to escape the auto destruction of 1 pop burgs.

I think that's how it works.

Salve
Old March 15, 2002, 01:55   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As NYE said, it is based on the culture of the city.

This was introduced to prevent the player from following around the AI settler/defender pairs and attacking as soon as the city was built (when it was at its weakest).

If the city is BOTH size 1 AND has no culture, it will be razed automatically, otherwise you can choose to keep or raze.
Old March 15, 2002, 10:36   #5
Free_Mumia
Settler

Thanks for the info guys.