yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:43
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Firaxis' Civ3 Site: Your Suggestions
http://www.firaxis.com/civ3

First, if you haven't already, please click on that link to surf around what Dan (Firaxis' Webmaster) has come up with so far.

I thought it might be helpful, or at least interesting, to hear from you guys at Apolyton regarding what you'd like to see as the site develops. For example, do you think it should remain fairly static, always changing with new content, a doorway to interacting with Firaxis itself, what?
  • FORUMS: Frankly, I don't think Firaxis has enough staff (or at least a dedicated person) to handle a forum. And with Apolyton here, why waste resources and open a can of worms. Your thoughts?
  • MAILBAG: Those who remember the SMAC days, might recall that we had the exciting prospect of hearing from various of the Firaxis members in answer to our e-mails. This lasted about 3 or 4 issues and just died without a word. It seems a fun idea, but again requires consitent effort to pull off. Should we try to revive it?

Well, those are just two things, and I haven't even touched on site design, etc. But perhaps I should leave with the meta-question: Do you even think that the official Civ3 site should be a priority for Firaxis? If so, please give some suggestions. Thanks.
[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited January 23, 2001).]
Old January 23, 2001, 07:34   #2
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Local Time: 18:43
I'd rather if they spent the time on the AI, and on making the AI configurable by us. The sneak previews and such are nice, but I think they'd be just as well off doing that through sites like Apolyton (as they did with the first unit graphics released). The fan base is so committed to the game that they (we) will be happy to spend our free time making Civ3 websites, leaving the game designers time to, well, design the game :-)
Old January 23, 2001, 07:56   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Civ site is already answering as many of the emailed questions as they can. Having an Apolyton-only mailbag seems unneccesary. I think the combination of an official Firaxis Letter/Q&A page on their site and the unofficial Apolyton forum where occasional Firaxis names are spotted is a good compromise if they have not got the resources to devote someone exclusively to the role.
Old January 23, 2001, 08:36   #4
bagdar
Warlord

Local Time: 02:43
I think the Civ 3 website is fine the way it is. Why do you think that the website steals time from AI development? It doesn't say much anyway, and they'll do the site updates when they're able to. As for forums, Apolyton is the best one there is, and Dan posts messages quite often, so there's no need for a forum or message center on the Civ 3 site. (In relation to the developing speed of the game, I suppose) So, everything's fine. I congratulate the website team of Firaxis: they put up the website quite early, for the fans.
Old January 23, 2001, 08:51   #5
MarkG

i've got only one suggestion/request: often updates!

"ask the civ team" features should come at a regular pace every 7-10 days, even if they dont give as much info all the time. when we have more rare chances of asking question before the release, we tend to forget to ask(and the suggest/"correct") about smaller but also important stuff

Old January 23, 2001, 11:15   #6
ChrisShaffer
Prince

bagdar, no matter how much time they're spending on AI development, I encourage them to spend even more time on it. If they spend 1,000 hours programming the AI and 200 hours designing the website, I'd be happier to see them spend 1,150 hours on the AI and 50 hours on the website (yes, I pulled those numbers out of thin air, I have no idea what is realistic for this).

As a for-profit company, Firaxis will only be able to devote X number of hours of paid staff time to the entire Civ3 project. yin26 asked if we thought the website should be a priority for Firaxis. In case my answer wasn't clear enough -- "No, I do not think the website should be a priority." Of all the things that need improving from Civ2, in my opinion the AI should be priority number one. The website will have virtually no impact on my enjoyment of the game, and there are plenty of unpaid volunteers (here at Apolyton and elsewhere) who will do the website development.

Spend the paid staff hours on the game, not the website please.
Old January 23, 2001, 12:10   #7
Steve Clark
King

I'll take a contrarian view in that Firaxis' civ3 site means nothing, except hype (which is admittedly important). If they want to get feedback, have Dan post a question here as he had done in the past. The staff that works the web are not the ones developing the game. However, everything takes resources. Resources are best spent on development (scenario-building and then AI ), marketing and support.

Ideally (imho), there should be NO firaxis/civ3 website until Civ3 is released and then all of the resources would be focused on supporting the game.
Old January 23, 2001, 12:16   #8
bagdar
Warlord

I do agree with you that as much time as possible must be secured for game development, but the team making the game is a big one, and probably the guys who make the website aren't that involved in the programming. (and, the website is a small one) If the guys who ought to be programming spend their time making shockwave animations, then we have a problem. Anyway, I think we have a nice website and a collosal game is on its way. I can't wait!!!
Old January 23, 2001, 20:55   #9
MOHonor
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:43
What makes you think some web guy can program AI? Honestly, I'm sure Dan was hired to do...ta-da...the Civ III website. Right? Everyone follow?
Old January 24, 2001, 04:39   #10
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 06:13
Dan most likely is that MOHonor but he seems to be should be inlvolved in the making of the game too. As for the website, I really do think its for promotion but I don't think a CIV3 will need any promotion if it lives up to our expectations
Old January 24, 2001, 05:44   #11
Jeje2
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 01-23-2001 07:51 AM
i've got only one suggestion/request: often updates!

"ask the civ team" features should come at a regular pace every 7-10 days, even if they dont give as much info all the time.

Right on the point. Let's just hope Dan continues to answer questions regulary. It doesn't have to much/time, just as long as it keeps on coming...
Old January 24, 2001, 07:51   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

I don't think Civ3 is going to have a problem selling itself (all the magazines will be queuing up for bimonthly updates) but if customisation is an integral part of the new design then a good website will make all the difference in keeping people playing. IMO Rollercoaster Tycoon (and to lesser extent SimCity3000) succeeded far better than they might otherwise have done because they made it easy and appealing to swap graphics, tactics and mods from one cental location and actively produced their own. Now most of that effort can be supplied after the product has gone gold, but the initial design structure must be in place to support it and with enough material to make it a useful resource from day one.
Old January 25, 2001, 08:49   #13
ChrisShaffer
Prince

quote:

if customisation is an integral part of the new design then a good website will make all the difference in keeping people playing. IMO Rollercoaster Tycoon (and to lesser extent SimCity3000) succeeded far better than they might otherwise have done because they made it easy and appealing to swap graphics, tactics and mods from one cental location and actively produced their own.

But the point with Civ is, those websites already exist. SidGames, Apolyton, etc. Firaxis doesn't need to make a website to encourage people to swap files or discuss tactics. Those websites already exist.
Old January 25, 2001, 10:37   #14
wittlich

Here, here. I agree that the Apolyton Civ Site is just fine for CIV III. The way that it stands now, at least the CIV III forum has a focal point...right here

Old January 25, 2001, 10:53   #15
Adm.Naismith
King

Good point Grumbold! It's OK Apolyton has its role as fan community centre, but a good company MUST take care of its products: a good support will enhance the general evaluotion of the product itself.

Let the fan sites do part of the work, but try to underline their best effort: take their best scenarios and MODs and put their link on CIV III official download area, add few new animated unit once or twice a month to help fans custom, make enough regular patches to keep player sticked to your game...

A live site means the game is still live too: you know the game will sell for long if is good AND supported.

Too many people feel like CTP2 could have been a great game, but has been killed by the crazy "sell and forget" politic by Activision.

Back to the point: fans site are for Community and minor game tweak, official site is for main Support and main Game enhancement.

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old January 25, 2001, 16:01   #16
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:43
I hope to play a lot of Civ III multiplayer.

A Civ III battle headquarters much liked the old SMAC one would be good to bring together and meet new people to play. Firaxis should add this to their website at release time.
Old January 25, 2001, 21:55   #17
wittlich

Interesting point tniem. I agree

Old January 27, 2001, 01:06   #18
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Just rememver that it should still be playable for people behind firewalls (Civ 2 is but Smac isn't).
Old January 28, 2001, 21:46   #19
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Local Time: 19:43
Says who? I've played Internet SMAC from behind my masquerading Linux router/firewall. Configuring the firewall is just a matter of knowing which ports to open and forward. SMAC uses DPlay, just like a bazillion other games.