Old March 17, 2002, 21:41   #1
Mr Bunny
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
as a gesture of goodwill would you kindly answer questions for newbie
Hi all. Civ II has nearly ruined my life and caused me to go broke. To this I say: Civ II rules! It's the greatest!!
Anyhow this is my first post and I have a few questions.
FYI I have Civ II gold multiplayer edition, with DSL, on a (shudder) Macintosh.
1)I am dying to play aginst humans but I can't imagine how the logistics work out. I can spend 100 hours on a game easily. How is it possible to play a game, how can you get 5 or 6 people to commit to the time etc? The only online games I've played have been Starcraft, but its not turn based and the games only take 30 min or so.
2) I want to learn more about "customizing" the game, playing scenarios, installing mod packs (?) but all the "how to" stuff (i've read tons of old posts)
seems geared towards PC only. Am I screwed again, or is there a Mac Civ cult out there that can help me out?
3)Are any of you freaks in the LA area?

Any help will be appreciated and hopefully I can repay the favor someday by pillaging your farmlands and destroying your civilization.
Thanks, Tom C
Old March 17, 2002, 21:43   #2
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:52
I know nothing about multiplayer, but here's the local Mac-Civ2 "hangout":
http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=106
Old March 17, 2002, 23:51   #3
Smash
Emperor

You need the MAC patch for multiplay.Get it here

with that you are fully compatible with pc players as well as other mac players.

Yes games take awhile.Or you can play "one night slug fests".Have a look in the multiplaying forum for an idea.

Customizing is quite easy once you know what is what.Have a looksy in your support folder and familiarize yourself with it.
The problem for mac players is the pc version uses different file types for graphics and sounds.A mac player needs to convert these to mac freindly formats first.SoundApp and graphic converter are frequently used utilities and are available for free d/l at download.com.There are also at least 2 mac scenario conversion utilities that do most of the conversion "automatically" using those utilities.

Apolyton has (afaik) the largest selection of scenarios and mods all converted and ready to go.The mac section is here.You can find the converters,mods and scenarios there.Also,included with Red Front is a delete events applescript that is vital for playing ANY scenario with multiple "stages'.
Old March 18, 2002, 10:43   #4
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 21:52
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
I don't have no Mac
But welcome to the civ2 Apolyton community
Old March 18, 2002, 11:05   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 21:52
Yes, Welcome Mr Bunny - you will like it here - the norm is for us to answer questions from newbies and old hands alike - like Julius I too am a PC man so cannot help much this time, but there are several Mac experts here - you have found Smash, MacUser is another and (IIRC) MWHC is a third ...
Old March 18, 2002, 12:13   #6
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 16:52
I'm a Mac user and first posted here in early Feb. Got a ton of free help, so I know you'll like it here.

Smash and Scouse Gits are all over it -- follow Smash's link to get the proper Civ2 Mac "patch." The current (and presumably final) version is 1.1.1. I've succeeded in playing MP with PC players since installing, with no significant problems. (Be sure to follow the Patch Release Notes requiring you to rename the application.)

Beyond that, hoping to see you on the Civ2 Multiplayer forum and/or the Civ2 Mac ghetto forum. (I also highly recommend the Strategy forum, especially the Great Library found therein. If you think Civ2 has taken over your life, just wait till you see the depths of sickness some others here reached! )

Welcome Mr Bunny!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old March 18, 2002, 15:06   #7
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 15:52
Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
...If you think Civ2 has taken over your life, just wait till you see the depths of sickness some others here reached! )
Yes, and some of that was done by players with families...

(the marchioness finds le marquis at the PC)

Welcome, Mr Bunny! Browse, and ye shall find. Post, and ye shall get answers. The CivII community here is still thriving, tho it got rather quiet around the release of Civ3...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old March 18, 2002, 22:12   #8
Mr Bunny
Chieftain

Thanks fer all the help! I've been gorging myself on lots of great info. Hopefully I can contribute someday. Hey Jrabbit- you from Illinois?
Old March 19, 2002, 10:17   #9
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 16:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Bunny
Hey Jrabbit- you from Illinois?
From the greater Chicago area -- north suburbs.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old March 19, 2002, 17:42   #10
Mr Bunny
Chieftain

We are always pleased to speak with our Illinois friends- I'm from Oak Park.