Old March 18, 2002, 12:17   #1
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 16:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My last thread here: Can someone tell me what is the best way to uninstall Civ3?
The last time I did it, I had a mess and had to go into the registery. Is there a free utility I can download that will get rid of this monster once and for all time?
Old March 18, 2002, 12:28   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 17:53
http://www.pcmedixwebs.com/regclean.htm

Always happy to help people get rid of useless beta software. Play Europa Universalis 2!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old March 18, 2002, 12:33   #3
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 15:53
Just put your computer back in the box and take it to the store you bought it from. Maybe trade it in for a Playstation or something. This will probably suit your individual needs best.

Goodbye
Old March 18, 2002, 12:41   #4
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

LOL@ yin, I couldn't help noticing when I tried your link that it had a link, along with several useful looking ones like Popup Stopper and Spyware Removal that it also had a link entitled:

MEET RUSSIAN WOMEN

Yin, there is a pervert streak in you!

Cooper, you I won't miss. I think if Firaxis rammed the Civ3 box a foot up your arse that you would thank them for introducing you to the realm of multiple orgasms.
Old March 18, 2002, 12:53   #5
ACooper
Prince

You always have a way with words j/t.

Old March 18, 2002, 14:26   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I see Russian women each day, anyone evies me?

Yin plays EU 2?
Old March 18, 2002, 14:40   #7
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 21:53
JT! You can't go!

Don't you realize that the gravitational pull of 'poly is such that even if you WANNA leave, you'll be back?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old March 18, 2002, 14:53   #8
Cookie Monster
King

Though I don't think I've ever conversed with you on these forums I have read many of your posts. I will miss your entertaining thoughts JT.
Old March 18, 2002, 14:54   #9
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Vel,

I will go to the BHG forum and terrorize BR. I hate RTS. I am really mad now because in my haste to delete Civ3 from my HD I deleted SMAX instead (Firaxis directory, ack) and now will have to reinstall it for the one SMAC PBEM I am doing.

jt
Old March 18, 2002, 14:56   #10
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 22:53
The Add/Remove programs list works best I find.
Old March 18, 2002, 14:57   #11
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
The Add/Remove programs list works best I find.
Same
Old March 18, 2002, 15:00   #12
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 21:53
Know what you meant about clickfest RTS games...the only one I've EVER played that I found to my liking was EU...wow...good luck and godspeed bro....and don't lose touch!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old March 18, 2002, 15:30   #13
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
Yin plays EU 2?
And loving it!

Old March 18, 2002, 15:41   #14
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Yin, did you play EU. I did and I just don't think EU2 is going to offer enough for me to go back. What do you think?

Is there any possibility of realistic MP with EU2?
Old March 18, 2002, 16:54   #15
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I can't speak to the MP in EU(2). I can say I never really feel the need since the AI (unless you purposely exploit a hole or two) is quite capable. Yes, I did play EU and initially deleted it. However, as a number of people whom I respect goaded me into re-installing, I gave it another go.

The most jarring difference is that EU(2) takes a deliberate -- as in seemingly slow and boring -- pace. That's intially why I uninstalled. That and the lousy (o.k., 'abstracted') combat model turned me off.

But what I realized is that there is a strategic depth to EU(2) that no similar game has ever matched. There are so many logical/historical checks and balances to everything that you **gasp** actually have to think and plan carefully! Imagine!

I wrote at some length in another thread here why I feel Civ3 is just a buggy screen-saver by comparison, but I'll boil it down to this: In Civ3, it's pathetically easy to win unless you let the comp simply cheat you into defeat (is Diety really a strategic game?). Dimplomacy doesn't matter. War is inevitable no matter what the box says, so just kill everybody as fast as you can. If you can expand your cities, you'll slop your way into victory. Dull. Tedious. Sleep-inducing.

With EU(2), you can and will get your a$$ handed to you for going on a war path without a long term plan that includes allies, relgious considerations, troops at home to deal with uprisings, perhaps even war taxes and some loans ... and in the end, the bastard on the other end of your sword might hold out against you long enough to let winter set in, killing 80% of your seige troops sitting outside a fortress that refused to fall before the first snow.

Yes, EU(2) has a plodding pace but it is punctuated by moments of sheer intensity as your empire rises or crumbles entirely ... often because of missteps you took in any number of, at the time, seemingly trivial areas you didn't consider carefully a few hours earlier. "Perhaps that royal marriage would have kept me in the game?"

I take it back: Compared to that, Civ3 isn't even a good screen-saver.

Old March 18, 2002, 17:02   #16
Khab
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:53
For what it's worth, I'll second yin on this and whole-heartedly recommend EU2. Warmly. A lot.

I haven't even looked at the Civ3 shortcut since I installed EU2. I can't see myself doing so anytime soon either. And if you do take the plunge into the unknown, know that the EU forums have some of the nicest, most helpful people around. And Paradox actually SUPPORT their game and LISTEN to their customers. Incidentally, the other day the lead programmer posted a teaser screenshot - of a scenario editor. An editor has NOT been promised or even talked about previously. Also, if you Civ's potential for editing cannot be matched... Don't worry.

I used to love Civ and Civ2 over everything else, bash whomever let go a single breath of criticism about it. Civ3, I couldn't care less.
Firaxis and Sid have fallen prey to their own hype.

10. Ask people what sex they are. Laugh hysterically after they answer.
Old March 18, 2002, 17:13   #17
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 07:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's been so long since I've played Civ3 that WinXP has made the shortcut invisible in the start menu. To be honest, I believe I'm over two months without playing Civ3. Must be able that as the Civ3 CD is now 5 down the stack on my desk. Currently on top are CTP2 (yes I know what you're gunna say, but the MODs may it a good game), and Empire Earth. Yes I know it's a clickfest, but I enjoy it. I just didn't enjoy Civ3.
Old March 18, 2002, 17:28   #18
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
It's been so long since I've played Civ3 that WinXP has made the shortcut invisible in the start menu. To be honest, I believe I'm over two months without playing Civ3. Must be able that as the Civ3 CD is now 5 down the stack on my desk. Currently on top are CTP2 (yes I know what you're gunna say, but the MODs may it a good game), and Empire Earth. Yes I know it's a clickfest, but I enjoy it. I just didn't enjoy Civ3.
2 thumbs up for CTP2 dude! Haven't played Empire Earth so no judgement there.
Old March 18, 2002, 17:41   #19
ACooper
Prince

EU(2) may be strategically good games but.........they're boring as hell. Talk about having to play to a formula. The replayability is just not there.

In general terms: it sucks. If it's what you like, that's great, but why poison this forum with that boring crap? If you like their forums go there.
Old March 18, 2002, 17:49   #20
Khab
Chieftain

Have you played any one of them? If so, for how long? I've played Civ since 1991, so I figure I can make an educated decision.

Also, I WILL go to the EU forums - that's where I'm at usually. I only stopped by to see if Firaxis had let anyone know anything whatsoever about the scenario editor, or even next patch. Predictably, and disappointingly, they haven't.

But I sure won't stand up an oppurtunity to get someone to try a really good game (IMHO) just because you don't have the brains to ignore posts you don't like.

Old March 18, 2002, 18:01   #21
ACooper
Prince

I too have played Civ since the first game and every version since then. I also own EU and EU2. With EU it always came down to the same things over and over. And slow and boring EU2 is the same but with more bells and whistles to make is a little more bearable.

I have as much a right to say the the game sucks as you do to say it's great. In fact, I think I go visit there forum tonight and share how much it sucks.

nah.....that'll just make me like you.
Old March 18, 2002, 18:23   #22
Khab
Chieftain

I beg to differ. I wasn't flaming Civ3 as much as hyping EU2, and you aren't seriously saying that Firaxis has NOT disappointed you with this?

Old March 18, 2002, 19:44   #23
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

be careful. it is possible that the game has contaminated every good and holy thing you had on your computer. The safest bet for uninstallation is some gasoline and a match. DAMN YOU FIRAXIS

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old March 18, 2002, 20:06   #24
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Everybody here should try are real game. In case you missed the message: Europa Universalis 2.

Old March 18, 2002, 20:17   #25
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Yes, EU(2) has a plodding pace but it is punctuated by moments of sheer intensity as your empire rises or crumbles entirely ... often because of missteps you took in any number of, at the time, seemingly trivial areas you didn't consider carefully a few hours earlier. "Perhaps that royal marriage would have kept me in the game?"

So basically 1 screw-up can ruin your game? Boy sounds like fun.

And before you say "oh another Civ 3 fanboy" I don't even play the game anymore. I haven't tried EU2 but that coment above doesn't make it more appetizing.

However, In case you didn't notice this is a CIV 3 site not EU2. go sell EU2 somewhere else, if we wanted to hear about it we would be on the EU2 forums.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 18, 2002, 22:17   #26
Khab
Chieftain

Ok. Gone.

going back to the EU forums. You've definetely managed to convince me I really don't want to be here.

Old March 18, 2002, 23:14   #27
Spook42
Settler

I had also picked up EU2 last month, seeing as its price had gone down to $20.

Having played both Civ3 and EU2 now, I have to state in objectivity that yin26 and others here are correct: for a "historical" or "world-level" strategy game, EU2 gives far more value. It's a HECK of a game for what it now costs. Although my middle-aged muddled mind would've preferred a turn-based OPTION for the EU system.

Civ3 can still be "fun," and seemingly more "epic" in going from bronze age to ballistic missiles. But in terms of the warfare and naval models, trade, economics, religious effects, and especially diplomacy, the EU system has much greater depth in these subelements. Not to mention the vast array of possible "nations" that can now be played. (I'm trying the Ottomans now, with the long-range vision of converting most of Europe to Islam --- but I know it ain't going to be easy. ) Making choices on the "domestic slider," with its whacks against stability, certainly requires some long-term thinking on how one wants his nation's type of governance, trade. The various historical "events" thrown in also helps maintain the historical feel within the game's four-century timeline.

Regrettably, the non-inclusion of coalition armies (or some means of creating specific military coalitions through the diplomatic system) is a significant historical oversight IMO, but otherwise, I think the level of abstraction for land warfare in the EU system is correct. It's an added plus that various "historical" military leaders have gradiated proficiencies, as do the national leaders also.

I suppose the biggest downside to the EU system is that "information overload" is more of an issue than for Civ games. If people don't want to concern themselves with too much subtlety on how economics, trade, religion and diplomacy interact with each other, then Civ3 is certainly more "accessible." But then, some EU/EU2 gamers embrace that very premise. It'd be nice, however, if the manual wasn't printed so damn small.

BTW, who else here, as gamers too of the EU series, show at the EU/EU2 "Community" forums? I've seen some earlier posts by Velociryx on the EU topics, though not EU2.
Old March 18, 2002, 23:27   #28
Tuberski

Does EU have a pause function?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 18, 2002, 23:29   #29
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I made a few posts as Frodo Baggins on the EU boards but not many. The average poster there is more mature and intelligent than here and I find my particular posting style inappropriate in a place with some culture.
Old March 18, 2002, 23:30   #30
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Yes, it does. And adjustable speeds so you can cruise through those boring times between wars.