Old March 18, 2002, 23:32   #31
Tuberski

Local Time: 16:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Yes, it does. And adjustable speeds so you can cruise through those boring times between wars.
To be honest I have never even seen this game, if it does those things it could be fairly interesting.

Thanks!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 18, 2002, 23:53   #32
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

if you like combat rts
check out strifeshadow, the designers went to great lengths to maximize combat time and minimize resource collection and building placement time, its multiplayer only though. Also its graphics look fairly dated, but if I want killer gfx, ill go fire up Tribes 2.

http://www.ethermoon.com/main/index.phtml
Old March 18, 2002, 23:53   #33
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Getting into EU would be a good use of time and money if you are a true hardcore gamer.

Not as good as a good game of Civ though.

If we had a good game of Civ.
Old March 19, 2002, 00:10   #34
Tuberski

jt did you read the latest patch news?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 19, 2002, 00:15   #35
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I read the bit about bombard on Civfanatics earlier today. That really isn't gonna make much difference though I am always in favor of configurable options. Is that what you are talking about?
Old March 19, 2002, 00:53   #36
Tuberski

Yeah, that's it. It doesn't really make much of a difference to me either. But it does show they are working on it.
Old March 19, 2002, 02:26   #37
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 17:53
Tuberski: Give EU2 a try. If you have always wanted something even close to a 'real' simulation of what might have been involved for rulers trying to expand their kingdoms, you won't find any better.

This means, of course, you'll need to look past the graphics and make liberal use of the mountain of information at your disposal. Overwhelming at first but better and better the more you play. Sort of the opposite feeling of Civ3, which is underwhelming at first and progressively more dull as you go on...

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old March 19, 2002, 03:21   #38
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:53
And since he did not go on, how would yin know?

Seriously. Nothing against EU or 2, but *'real' simulation*. Oh yah. I can feel it in my bones. I really am Henry. I always knew I was. Eight wives? No alimony? I'm there!

Maybe he is right. Maybe some of us would like EU2 better. Go ahead. Give it a try. You know, there is no law against liking more than one game. Or is there?

Keep on Civin
Old March 19, 2002, 03:44   #39
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I sure hope there's no laws against liking multiple games, because I like both EU2 and Civ3 a lot. Both games have their strong points and their weak points, and what I play usually comes down to what mood I'm in...

You don't have to pick one or the other!
Old March 19, 2002, 05:01   #40
Mannamagnus
Prince

Local Time: 22:53
To make sure that no traces of Civ3 are left on your computer: restart in MSDOS mode and type format c: after the command prompt.

I like EU; the only thing that I think is annoying is that you are not able to conquer some nations completely.
Old March 19, 2002, 06:47   #41
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 23:53
Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
EU(2) may be strategically good games but.........they're boring as hell. Talk about having to play to a formula. The replayability is just not there.

In general terms: it sucks. If it's what you like, that's great, but why poison this forum with that boring crap? If you like their forums go there.
amen
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old March 19, 2002, 07:11   #42
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 22:53
That is one of the things they altered in EU2. Wiping a large nation off the face of the map without justification is pretty difficult and will get you hated and feared for centuries but it can be done. Get a revolt though and don't be surprised if that nations flag starts flying as a rallying banner for the unhappy peasantry. You have to choose between inching toward a freer society with productive peasantry and more innovative scientists or maintaining a strong central grip that holds your empire together by forcing rigid conformity. Similarly whether or not you get colonists or explorers has been subsumed into choice of religion and your domestic policies so you can be expansionist or isolationist or land or sea orientated no matter which nation you start the game as, for example.

EU(2) can also be as turn based as you want to make it. Set every activity (there are over a hundred) to pause the game while you consider its effects and you will probably never see a day go by without an interruption. Decide you don't want to see such events again? Right click on the message and you can dynamically choose whether to set future occurances to do nothing, give you a 1 line log message, a head up message and/or pause the game. Everyone can play with their own tailored settings and at the speed they find most comfortable (an agreed speed and no pausing in multiplayer of course).

The big change in EU2 which I believe may horrify some people is the vast numbers of historical events. If you are a perfectionist dictator who wants nothing to change in your country unless you order it then you will get frustrated. Peasants revolt. Nobles will demand money or a change in policy for their benefit. Historical events can occur which dramatically change your whole outlook. The challenge is riding the wave of fortune and coming out of it stronger than ever. The iron men will try to do the almost impossible like trying to wrest the Byzantine Empire back from the immensely stronger Ottomans or struggle to keep the Timarid empire from disintegrating in its 49 years of event driven revolts. The casual player can opt for a more relaxed ride by going with historical events like playing Muscowy knowing it ought to become Russia or France knowing it ought to kick out the English and eventually see the rise of Napoleon. I say "ought" because one thing EU2 is ont is an animated history lesson. The path of least resistance is along historical lines but with 400 years of possibilities it is rare that the game truly mirrors historical outcomes.

I don't think every Civ 3 player, disappointed or happy, will prefer EU2 but I would urge all of them to give it a try and persevere through the initial steep learning curve. I believe there is a lot of rewarding game play in there, especially if you try out many different strategies instead of just attempting direct world conquest no matter who you play.
Old March 19, 2002, 10:27   #43
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
.... I find my particular posting style inappropriate ...
So do we. But, you keep coming back.

Maybe you really do like Civ3. Wish you luck wherever you go.
Old March 20, 2002, 00:52   #44
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

That was a nice catch moderator!
Old March 20, 2002, 01:22   #45
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
That was a nice catch moderator!
Where... Where....