Old March 18, 2002, 16:53   #1
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 07:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
World At War! (1900 - 1950) V1.02
Announcing World At War V1.02!

The updates are complete, and uploaded to my new site (sorry about the popups). I've attached the readme folder to this post.

Install procedure:
1. CTP2 (well DUR!)
2. Official Activision patch v1.1 or v1.11.
3. Modswapper.
4. Three zip files (pics/sprites/texts).

Run Modswapper and select World At War!

Known issues:
- The Global Library is not complete. Don't use it. Sorry. Read the design notes and readme to find out what everything does.
- I haven't implemented Peter's NewDiplomod.slc yet as there are quite a few bugs to iron out of it.
- Barbs still seem to be spawning illegal units. If this bothers you in this version, delete them from cheat mode.

Notes:
- The AI is very aggressive. It ICS's, builds heaps of military units, and will try to eliminate you. This MOD is very agressive.
- There are only 600 turns. But these turns are action-packed, aggressive and testing for the human (well I thought so).

You may download the MOD from here.

I hope you enjoy this MOD. I've always loved the World War period and that's what led me to this project.

Dale.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip readmes.zip (10.6 KB, 16 views)
Old March 18, 2002, 17:26   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The sprites file is corrupt, I've downloaded it at least 4 times but still nogo...
Old March 18, 2002, 18:12   #3
Lab Rat
Settler

Local Time: 21:54
All 3 wont open with winzip, and the sprites zip was particularly erractic downloading (finishing at the wrong time etc). Still, cant wait to try it out
Old March 18, 2002, 18:30   #4
Dale
Emperor

See below.....

Last edited by Dale; March 18, 2002 at 19:21.
Old March 18, 2002, 18:32   #5
Dale
Emperor

See below....

Last edited by Dale; March 18, 2002 at 19:22.
Old March 18, 2002, 18:43   #6
Dale
Emperor

See below....

Last edited by Dale; March 18, 2002 at 19:22.
Old March 18, 2002, 18:44   #7
Dale
Emperor

See below....

Last edited by Dale; March 18, 2002 at 19:23.
Old March 18, 2002, 19:20   #8
Dale
Emperor

Okay, I've fixed up the zips on my website, and checked them. Once again that website address is:

http://www.crosswinds.net/~ctp2dale/waw/waw.html

I'll clear off these attached files (3 posts above) as it'll be confusing when I post updates.
Old March 18, 2002, 21:35   #9
Lab Rat
Settler

Ok having a few problems, dunno if its just me but i tried to install the MOD 3 times, all on fresh installations (in the right order) i got these 3 messages everytime before it reached the title screen and dropped back to desktop...

===========================================
''WAW_diplomacyproposal.txt : 158 : Expected string ID''

''WAW_diplomacyproposal.txt : 158 : Warning : required field image missing''

''Unable to Init the Databases''

Hope this helps
Old March 18, 2002, 22:46   #10
Dale
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lab Rat
Ok having a few problems, dunno if its just me but i tried to install the MOD 3 times, all on fresh installations (in the right order) i got these 3 messages everytime before it reached the title screen and dropped back to desktop...

''WAW_diplomacyproposal.txt : 158 : Expected string ID''

''WAW_diplomacyproposal.txt : 158 : Warning : required field image missing''

''Unable to Init the Databases''

Hope this helps

DOH! Wrong version of the file. Replace WAW_diplomacyproposal.txt in \Call To Power 2\ctp2_data\default\aidata\ with the attached file.

EDIT: Website has been updated too.

Dale
Attached Files:
File Type: txt waw_diplomacyproposal.txt (37.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Dale; March 18, 2002 at 22:57.
Old March 19, 2002, 20:30   #11
Dale
Emperor

How are people going now? I'm assuming silence means no bugs.
Old March 19, 2002, 20:40   #12
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Well, in my case it means no time
Old March 19, 2002, 23:34   #13
Lab Rat
Settler

Quote:
I only just started a new game as the Scottish on Regular map, with 5 other civs, on Impossible and marauding barbs. Ive played 20 turns so far and ive already took the Dutch city of Amsterdam, I gathered a quick 12 stack of 8 Infantry, 3 cannons and a HOVER infantry (???) that i found in a goody hut in the first couple of turns. I thought it odd that such an advanced unit should be given. It kinda reminded me of the ''The Rocketeer'', where he saves the yanks from the Nazis. lol anyway...also i think ive had it easy so far, being at the end of a long continent is really helping me leave my cities unguarded and really give it to the Dutch, who are the only civ right next to me, on land anyway. And probably the default high happiness, has helped alot to build quick armies, as i chose communism.
Anyway Ill keep you posted.
Old March 20, 2002, 10:43   #14
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 16:54
Dale,

I'm assuming that the future units will not be able to be built in your mod because a player will never be able to reach the required tech.

What you may want to do about the inappropiate units showing up from the goody huts is to link those units to more appropiate sprites, and then changing the name of the unit in the gl_str.txt file, as well as the descriptive in the Great Library. You can also give them the same stats as the units in your game.

A bit of work, but this may at least make the in-game atmosphere more consistent.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old March 22, 2002, 00:24   #15
Dale
Emperor

Hex:

Thanks for the idea mate. I've done that and it appears to be working. It also fixes the hut problem to where you could get funny units. I redid all the units as machine-gunners, and am calling them "Revolutionaries". Similar to the Free French and the Free Polish who joined the Poms, or just simply revolutionary forces within your own empire, like the French Resistence to the Germans. So basically, revolutionaries will join you or kill you.

Lab Rat:

Don't ya just love Communism for it's production base? That's the gov choice of me. Though later on, the pollution really kicks in.

Coming in V1.03

- Completed Great Library. (That's a bugger of file!!!!)
- Bug fix which stopped AI's not getting beginning units sometimes.
- Bug fix in diplomod.slc to allow multiplayer playing (see the thread about the diplomod crashing in multiplayer in Cradle and Med Mod).
- Bug fix to allow AI to terraform.
- A number of fixes/balances that enhance the gameplay.

Should be coming soon. Just gotta finish this game of Empire Earth........
Old March 22, 2002, 04:34   #16
Leonidas
King

Dale: Great. I'm just finishing up playtesting Cradle v1.3 beta. So I should be ready to play this latest version when you're ready to release it

BTW, have you given any thought to making a World at War Mod for the years 1951 to 2000?
Old March 23, 2002, 18:17   #17
Locutus
Deity

Dale,
Is the game supposed to crash (or, more accurately, freeze) when you try to open the research screen (F6 key)? Well, I suppose not (that would be something ), but any ideas on what might cause this?
Old March 24, 2002, 16:46   #18
Dale
Emperor

Leonidas:

Nah, no plans from me to make a WAW 1950-2000. Though, if pushed hard enough I might think about one based on the Cold War.......

Locutus:

Yeah I noticed that on the weekend. I have no idea WTF is happening with that.

I wonder if it has something to do with my order of advances in the .txt file.
Old April 1, 2002, 01:16   #19
CIAGreg
Settler

Dear Dale;
I am have some dificulty getting the program to work. I have downloaded all the files and I go to open it in ModSwapper.
Then the game begins to load and will suddenly pop back out to windows and the message SLIC Error appears about 40 times The fall under the following heading C:\PROGRAM FILES\ACTIVISION\CALL TO POWER 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\WAW_capturecity.sic:2 6: No function named DestroyBuilding
It changes sic numbers and the last part changes a few times as well. Not sure how to fix it hope you do any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
CIAGreg
Old April 1, 2002, 18:19   #20
Dale
Emperor

CIAGreg:

Quickfix:
1. Reinstall the Activision 1.1 or 1.11 official patch.
2. Reinstall WAW.

Old April 10, 2002, 00:31   #21
CIAGreg
Settler

Comments
Dear Dale:
The game was very good and I commend you on your work. I do however have some suggestions.
First of all, I have some issues with the tech tree. Naval warfare is one which I think given the fact that there where Battle Crusiers and Cruisers fairly early in the century and should therefore be accessable early on in the game. I understand the idea of the aircraft carrier came later so it should perhaps have its own topic. Next, Nylon and paratrooper should also be avaliable soon due to its use before things like tiger and sherman tanks. Then there is the V1 which should also be avaliable much sooner for much of the same reasons as the Nylon. I can understand your desire to lump like advances together to aviod have to meke more topics. I personally apprieciate the time you put into making this. I am simply oe of those people who prefer it to be as historically accurate as possible.
Finally, I strongly have a problem with the governments as a have in the original game. The fascist, in particular Germany, was very reasearch minded. The fact is that had it not been for Hitler picking a fight with too many people we all might be speaking German. Thier equipment was more armoured with more punch to them. Even German aircraft were in many ways superior and whould have had devastating impact had Hitler not desided to play gerneral. All this is an indication of the huge scientific machine the Nazi's had going. Also the Russians while not as advanced as the Americans were very much into science. the Russians put the first satalite into orbit and took a huge leap in rocket technology. They also developed the first submarines to house nukes. while alot of Russian advances where made on thier own, due to the opening knowledge of Russian espionage a staggering number of advnces where stolen. so perhaps a edge in espionage would fit more with the communist.
One last thing I would recommend changing is the max. numbers of cities for the empires, for there is no other NEW form of government to switch to to aviod unhappiness.
Again good job on the game hope these suggestions might make it better.
Thanks,
CIAGreg
Old April 10, 2002, 06:56   #22
Dale
Emperor

CIAGreg:

Thanks for playing and the suggestions.

You and I want this era to be historically accurate. This why I've made some tech choices like I did:

- Sure some technologies were available earlier, but they did not come into useage untill later. IE: tanks were invented in the 1830's (they called them tractors back then), but didn't come into a viable war-machine until combustion engines. Rocketry has been around since the 1930's, but the advances in radar, vacuum tubes and fuels stopped V1's untill 1942 (first test in Denmark). Synthetic materials had been around since the 1920's due to medical and chemical research, but Du Pont didn't invent nylon untill 1932. It took about 5 more years till nylon was used in parachutes. In reality, nylon was invented for lingere (stockings).

Thus, a lot of the tech tree placements are very dependant on the actual beginning of common useage. Take penicillin. Discovered in the late 1920's, but it wasn't till World War II when USA started making billions of units per month that it became "available".

When I finish the great library, have a read through the historys and you'll see why I chose the placements as such.

As for ships, I can see your point. Maybe some of those ships in naval warfare could move to radar, when naval warfare became interesting. I'll think about it for a future update.
Old April 10, 2002, 22:16   #23
CIAGreg
Settler

Dear Dale,
I see you points and are well taken. I was interested in what you thoughts about the governments science rating as I tried to deminstrate that the Facisist were better at researching than depicted in the game.
CIAGreg
Old April 10, 2002, 23:20   #24
Dale
Emperor

CIA:

Actually, come to think of it, the research for fascist nations is pretty low. Hmm....

Here's what I'll try. I've finished the txt mods to V1.03, but what I'll do is change the possible science percentage to 70% (same as democracy) from 60% (same as communism).

Basically, I'll change the gov's so that communism is the big producer, democracy is the big science, and fascist is inbetween. All the economies of the time were pretty even so I'll make economics all the same.
Old April 11, 2002, 23:28   #25
ElvisMonster
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:54
Dale!

I've been playing World At War 1.2 for a few days now. Fantastic!

Looking forward to 1.3.....and beyond!
Old April 12, 2002, 00:20   #26
Dale
Emperor

EM:

Thanks for the vote of confidence mate. Now for some good news. All the mods for V1.03 are complete, Plus! the Great Library is finished as well. Man, that's one DOG of a file!

Here's a preview of some of the changes:

- Battlecruiser and Cruisers now available with Assembly Lines.
- Empire size changed to 75 for all Govs.
- Fascist now has science equivalent to the era (Dem - 80%, Fas - 70%, Com - 60%) and production (Dem - 1.15, Fas - 1.3, Com - 1.5)
- Barbs elliminated (see next point).
- New concept/unit: Revolutionaries. Either join you or fight against you (they are what barbs were).
- Great Library complete, with history texts for advances & units.
- All bugs detected eradicated.

Stay tuned.