Old March 18, 2002, 23:13   #1
Goatguy
Settler

Local Time: 16:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This is great news for 1.18f!!
Ill try to keep this 1st post updated fot current information about the 1.18f patch....ill try at least

As of MARCH 19, 2002: nothing new...been looking around for a while on different sites..nothin new

Check this out, this is big news for the use of artillery, planes, and ships for the use of bombing!! Dan from fixaris told people in CivFanatics that the new patch will incorperate the feature to toggle the ability for bombard units to kill a unit!!!!! I want this patch!!

Last edited by Goatguy; March 19, 2002 at 19:03.
Old March 18, 2002, 23:30   #2
Tuberski

But no link?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 18, 2002, 23:31   #3
simwiz2
Warlord

wow, this is the best news i heard since i saw stacked movement was in 1.17. 2 nice surprises in a row!

with this addition the game will be almost perfect

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old March 18, 2002, 23:46   #4
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 21:55
Right now, I'd be more happy with having the option of making Artillery units Offensive units so the AI might actually be smart enough to use it in massed invasions... they NEVER use artillery in effective ways. They might actually stand a chance in the early early industrial period if they could bring down a city's defenses with artillery first and THEN chuck their cavalry at them...

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old March 18, 2002, 23:49   #5
simwiz2
Warlord

who knows, maybe they will, IIRC they never mentioned stack movement until a few days before 1.17 came out, and Soren is always working on improving the AI.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old March 18, 2002, 23:54   #6
Scipio Africanu
Settler

here's the link to the thread...

civfanatics forum

"Donny your out of you element, Dude the China man is not the- Oh and Dude, China man is not the prefered nomenclature..." - Walter *The Big Lebowski
Old March 18, 2002, 23:58   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:55
Quote:
You will be able to toggle lethal sea and land bombardment on or off independently for any unit in the game that has the bombard ability.

Dan

-----------------------------
I really hope this means that *kill land* and *kill sea* are two seperate switches. That would be great.

Salve
Old March 19, 2002, 00:03   #8
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Scipio Africanu
here's the link to the thread...

civfanatics forum
Thank you sir!

Edit: or ma'am!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 19, 2002, 00:04   #9
Thrawn05
King

I wonder if more people will try England and the US civs just to see if their UUs will be better.

With that patch, I'll be totaly happy with civ3.
Old March 19, 2002, 01:21   #10
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:55
Yet another Patch!!

This game just continually evolves, doesn't it. Problem is, it takes me several weeks to play just one game, and before I complete one, the rules change on me with a new patch coming out.

Too bad my work load is really heavy now, or I'd pop-rush myself to get my current game finished before they release it.
Old March 19, 2002, 01:29   #11
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 10:55
Cool.

Better get that CDROM drive fixed, and reinstall Civ.

I hope we get MP soon.
Old March 19, 2002, 01:44   #12
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Nice.

And there'll be some more surprises, too, according to Dan.
Old March 19, 2002, 01:50   #13
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Is this the part where I play a well known poster and claim credit for the great features bestowed on us due to my indisputable influence on the designers?

Ahem. You're welcome.
Old March 19, 2002, 02:42   #14
Dienstag
Warlord

Thank you, notyoueither. What awesome improvements are you planning on next?

Quote:
The new abilities will come in the form of two new unit abilities, and yes you will be able to use them with air units.
My first impression was that he meant "toggle lethal (sea and land) bombardment", i.e. any specific bombardment unit either kills both sea and land, or kills neither. But that quote of his from CivFanatics makes me think again. Seperate "kill sea" and "kill land" switches would be excellent, yes. Still not too excited about F-15s, though.

What other surprises could they be working on, I wonder....?

And the other big question: "When?"
Old March 19, 2002, 03:01   #15
notyoueither
Deity

End of May. I officially gave them leave to take it easy. Hey, they gotta relax you know! Throw your rocks at me. I can take it. Besides, it takes me that long to finish 1 or 2 games per patch anyways, what with interfacing with my people and all.

What else? Hmmm. A world domination button with a password known only to DanQ would be good. He really, really wants one.

Oh, and the Banana resource. There can only be one per game. Whoever gets it receives 10 culture per turn to their capital. I really thought it should be worth more, but you know, balance and all that stuff. 10 per turn is a lot already. Go ahead, scream. I'm used to it.

Oh yeah. I told them to get off their duffs and make sure the game runs AI turns on 256x256 maps with 16 civs in less than 5 seconds on a 386 running Win3.1 with 4MB of RAM. Hey, not all my people have joined the twenty-first century yet. Gotta look after them too.

PS. I mean a Real World world domination button. Don't p*ss him off man. The squads could be coming sooner than you think.

Keep on Civin
Old March 19, 2002, 03:22   #16
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 23:55
Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
Nice.

And there'll be some more surprises, too, according to Dan.
As more civ specific options...
Old March 19, 2002, 07:23   #17
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 22:55
I'm still fully expecting arguements over which combination of settings should be the "official" ones based on historical outcomes, game playability and personal prejudices
Old March 19, 2002, 08:35   #18
player1
Emperor

Now we only need AIR SUPERIORITY naval vessels:

Like Destoryers & AEGIS Cruisers
Old March 19, 2002, 08:36   #19
Deathwalker
Prince

This is great news
I'm just curiouse if there set any units with this in the default rules or if we'll have to do via the editor
Old March 19, 2002, 08:40   #20
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
This is great news
I'm just curiouse if there set any units with this in the default rules or if we'll have to do via the editor
My opinion:
this needs to be in default rules only if MODERN NAVAL units CAN HURT bombers.

And Cruis. Miss. need boosting in that case.
Old March 19, 2002, 08:53   #21
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Another nice improvement. I wish the game had been delayed a few months to incorporate all of these improvements in the standard game. Now I hope right now Firaxis will delay MP until the SP game is perfected.
Old March 19, 2002, 10:03   #22
Carver
Prince

Happy Happy Happy
Now this is a good morning (if you live on the East coast of USA). I come into work, unlock the computer and see there's a new patch coming out with killer bombardment and "more suprises".

Bravo FIRAXIS!
Old March 19, 2002, 10:45   #23
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Its interesting to note that firaxis seem to be adopting the most rational change for these bombardment rules ie allow us to toggle it on or off as we like with the editor. That was the concensus opinion (I think) from a recent discussion of whether bombardment should be able to kill units. Does this mean that they ARE listening ? I hope so.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old March 19, 2002, 10:52   #24
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

They are indeed, most of the stuff from the last patch which wasn't a bug fix was from player's ideas.
Old March 19, 2002, 11:46   #25
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Very good news, just thought this over and decided I will want all types of Bombardment to be able to sink ships. Must be fun.

And if the patch includes something else, too, it will be even better. For 1.17 included the stacked movement, but nothing else much, really.
Old March 19, 2002, 11:52   #26
Toasty
Chieftain

I'm just as happy about this as anyone, but wouldn't it make more sense to have a 'toggle lethal bombing' in the editor? i.e., Battleship has 'lethal bombing', meaning it can be killed by artillery, while infantry doesn't.
Old March 19, 2002, 11:56   #27
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Is this the part where I play a well known poster and claim credit for the great features bestowed on us due to my indisputable influence on the designers?

Ahem. You're welcome.
You are the man!
Old March 19, 2002, 11:59   #28
dac
Chieftain

I cannot see myself using the lethal bombarment option for air units if sea units remain completely defenseless against aircraft. Just bombing the AIs fleet into oblivion without even scratching the paint on my bombers just doesn't seem fair.

But, it's a switch, so to each his own. I just hope the AI picks up on this change and sinks a few peoples transports loaded with Modern Armor.
Old March 19, 2002, 14:49   #29
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
The new abilities will come in the form of two new unit abilities, and yes you will be able to use them with air units. As far as I know the existing system simply wouldn't allow a bombard action to deal the deathblow to a unit unless it was a missile. This new flag simply removes that restriction.

There are plenty of other goodies coming, I'll have to leave some suspense for you all...

Dan

I think this does show that Firaxis is working on improving the game and they are listening to us. So many times in these forums we hear claims of the opposite. I guess it just goes to show it takes all kinds. For those who want to jump to different games - go ahead - we all know you will be back!
Old March 19, 2002, 15:37   #30
Sinapus
Warlord

It would be neat if there was a way to get fighters to launch at other fighters and aggressively shoot them down, bomb aircraft still on the ground, etc., in addition to the air superiority.

Or does it already do that? (Haven't had much time to play, alas.)