Old March 19, 2002, 02:34   #1
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 14:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
An idea for the U.N.
One of the roles of the UN is to help out nations that might be experiencing difficulties. So I thought, why not add a Foreign Aid diplomatic function as soon as it gets built? Every civ can set aside a certain amount of gold per turn for foreign aid. And the more they spend, the more the other civs think favourably of them. So if you're in a "nobody likes me, everybody hates me" situation, you can divert a bunch of cash towards helping unfortunates around the world in order to improve your diplomatic standing with your neighbours.
Old March 19, 2002, 04:15   #2
Dienstag
Warlord

Local Time: 21:55
That would be good a good use of the UN. Sounds a bit like the World Bank, as well. The trouble is, by the time such international organizations appear, you're thinking about exactly how to win, probably. At that point, only the Diplomatic victory encourages any philanthropy; any other end-game means you can more or less ignore world opinion.

Another problem is that, by the Modern Age, any Civ that would have needed the charity has most likely been conquered by now. There may only be a few remaining civs, and you'll be looking at them more as competition than as someone to give a helping hand to.

A third point is that the AI seems to be quite volatile in its relations with you. Gifts may not be accepted as such, or good relations can degrade for no obvious reason. Basically, I think the AI is programmed in such a way that humanitarian aid won't raise it's opinion of you much, or even maintain a high opinion if such is the case.

These observations are not meant to imply that things should be this way. I like your idea of more uses for the UN and tying it in with reputation. There would have to be a few changes in the game before that would be really useful, though. Perhaps if world opinion factored in your final score? Make the UN vote for the diplomatic victory not when the UN is built, but later and have whoever donated the most be one of the candidates?

Well, that's all I can come up with at the moment.
Old March 19, 2002, 04:18   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Also sounds good. Could be added to the big thread we have about the UN: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=44682 .
Old March 19, 2002, 04:31   #4
Dienstag
Warlord

Local Time: 21:55
There's always another thread somewhere, isn't there?
Old March 19, 2002, 04:35   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Currently that's by far the biggest UN thread we have .
Old March 19, 2002, 06:36   #6
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 23:55
excellent idea. i turned off un in the last two games, it is too easy winning on that level. but then again, i really feel that spaceship components should be more expensive - how come i have spaceship before SDI or smart weapons...that is really dumb.

there still has to be some tweaking in the late game - MPPs are too easy to exploit, and it is too easy to swindle your way out of multiple pacts by simply waiting for the AI to attack. also, AI rarely builds any fighters....
so patch priorities:
1.UN fixing, spaceship more expensive
2. air power management
3. did anyone see a SAM work?
4. MPP management
5. why do AIs like communism so much?
6. inherited oppresion unrest
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old March 19, 2002, 07:06   #7
Solver
lifer
Deity

I got my SAMs work once.

As for the spaceship, you should increase component cost and reset them to later technologies, maybe create new ones (Editor).
Old March 19, 2002, 08:18   #8
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 23:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
I got my SAMs work once.

As for the spaceship, you should increase component cost and reset them to later technologies, maybe create new ones (Editor).
i am lazy, i want it in a patch
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old March 19, 2002, 10:29   #9
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dienstag
That would be good a good use of the UN. Sounds a bit like the World Bank, as well. The trouble is, by the time such international organizations appear, you're thinking about exactly how to win, probably. At that point, only the Diplomatic victory encourages any philanthropy; any other end-game means you can more or less ignore world opinion.
Well that's the idea, it would be another tool to help you get the votes you need to win. Plus it could be set up that not giving money has a negative impact on the other civs opinion of you.

Quote:
Another problem is that, by the Modern Age, any Civ that would have needed the charity has most likely been conquered by now. There may only be a few remaining civs, and you'll be looking at them more as competition than as someone to give a helping hand to.
That's not important. The UN now does more now than just help disadvantaged nations, it also provides humantarian relief for things like earthquakes, droughts etc. Where the money goes isn't the issue, it's the act of giving that is.

Quote:
A third point is that the AI seems to be quite volatile in its relations with you. Gifts may not be accepted as such, or good relations can degrade for no obvious reason. Basically, I think the AI is programmed in such a way that humanitarian aid won't raise it's opinion of you much, or even maintain a high opinion if such is the case.

These observations are not meant to imply that things should be this way. I like your idea of more uses for the UN and tying it in with reputation. There would have to be a few changes in the game before that would be really useful, though. Perhaps if world opinion factored in your final score? Make the UN vote for the diplomatic victory not when the UN is built, but later and have whoever donated the most be one of the candidates?
Well of course, it would have to be programmed into the game by Firaxis. All I'm doing is passing along an idea that popped into my head while having a brew at my neighbourhood pub. It seems logical and reasonable, and not that difficult to implement into the game, so I figure I'd just mention it. If we restricted our comments only to what is actually doable at the moment, we'd all still be playing Civ II.
Old March 19, 2002, 10:37   #10
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Also sounds good. Could be added to the big thread we have about the UN: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=44682 .
Well I had a look at your UN thread, but the first post was a bit lengthy for me first thing in the morning. I'll be sure to drop by a bit later when my brain is in gear. There was some good ideas though. I'd really like to see some more diplomacy options in the game, even more than existed in SMAC.