Old March 19, 2002, 08:53   #1
spy14
Prince

Local Time: 21:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Need random outcomes!!
I've just installed 1.17, and have a prob with the combat system. Before with 1.16 if you lost a fight and this screwed up your game badly you could use the editor to redress the balance. With 1.17 i have tried every option available in the editor, even taking a units attack capability out all together, and still the result goes against. Normally i accept the bad with the good, but this has just destroyed a game . Will someone PLEASE address this in the next patch?? Is it me or has the whole game become more of a chore than fun?
Old March 19, 2002, 09:00   #2
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 22:55
It's silly to cheat just because you're not winning a game. Try not to get yourself in situations where the outcome of a battle will kill the entire game. Imagine if you were playing in MP for example...
Old March 19, 2002, 09:11   #3
philler
Chieftain

I'm really eagerly expecting that MP extension (if it's ever available...)

I suspect that some in the top of the list of the current tournaments' results will find themselves in a predicament when that very convenient "reload" option gets taken out *evil grin*

I consider the current version of the game as practise for the MP. I enjoy the tournaments because they usually have a special theme, and because discussing our respective strategies help us become better players... (btw when's the next one?)
Old March 19, 2002, 09:26   #4
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 15:55
Re: Need random outcomes!!
Quote:
Originally posted by spy14
I've just installed 1.17, and have a prob with the combat system. Before with 1.16 if you lost a fight and this screwed up your game badly you could use the editor to redress the balance. With 1.17 i have tried every option available in the editor, even taking a units attack capability out all together, and still the result goes against. Normally i accept the bad with the good, but this has just destroyed a game . Will someone PLEASE address this in the next patch?? Is it me or has the whole game become more of a chore than fun?

This makes no sense. You say you took out a units attack and it lost? What did you expect it to do? And how did you use the editor to fix the balance when you lost a fight before?
Old March 19, 2002, 10:17   #5
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 15:55
What a lame addition to a patch. Don't cheat, just plan your attacks better next time. Look at your unlucky result as a new challenge to work around in the coming turns. If you risk the game on a single result, you can't expect to always win, after all. That's why it's called a gamble.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old March 19, 2002, 17:26   #6
spy14
Prince

Local Time: 21:55
RE: This makes no sense. You say you took out a units attack and it lost? What did you expect it to do? And how did you use the editor to fix the balance when you lost a fight before?

I removed a units attack and it was still able to attack me, and I fixed the balance before by increasing the defence rating of a unit for a turn. I know some people think you shouldnt cheat on this, but there aint many people who'll replay 1/2 hours game because they overlooked one small step... this is an "entertainment" product remember...
Old March 19, 2002, 18:23   #7
philler
Chieftain

"entertaining" doesn't mean "winning" to me.

if when you start a new game you know you're gonna win where's the point? how is that entertaining?

nothing personal, just trying to understand.