Old March 19, 2002, 18:54   #1
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Inifinite Build Bug/Cheat
This might sound like a stupid question, but what EXACTLY is the Ininite Build Bug (I've also heard it called Ininite Build Cheat)?

The reason I'm asking is because my roommate and I love to play over our LAN within our home, but as the game advances resyncs get worse. I read on another thread that one of us might be inadvertantly using this bug during the game and hense adding to the resync problems...if this is actually the case, I would like to know what this bug/cheat intails so that we can avoid doing it in our future games.

Thanks to anyone who can help shed some light on this bug/cheat.

Last edited by Wittlich; March 19, 2002 at 18:59.
Old March 20, 2002, 11:01   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:57
As Oerdin posted in this thread:
Quote:
You use the bug like this; first you rush buy something (ANYTHING!) then you go to the city manager and rush buy it there too. Then all you have to do is keep your que filled and remember to click rush buy in the top manager each turn and you will recieve everything in one turn for free.
Old March 20, 2002, 13:08   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Thanks for the info Locutus. Ok, I don't think that either of us have done this before...I'll double check with my roommate though to be sure. Thanks again
Old March 20, 2002, 14:55   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:57
Have you read what Oerdin recently added to the FAQ? Some useful tips on reducing resynchs there... Kind of odd that you would get resynchs when playing over a LAN within the same house, should give you a *really* fast connection...
Old March 21, 2002, 00:34   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

That's exactly what I thought too. (concerning the LAN connection)

However, my roommate and I are in a game that has been going on for a few months....and surprisingly, the resyncs are few and mild (so far). Most of the time when the game resyncs is when either I or my roommate combinds units into a stack or when we break them apart. Occationally, after I stack units or break them apart, my roommate's computer will just dump the entire game. When this happends, I save the game, we both do a computer restart, then load up the saved game and continue on. So far it has been managable. *keeps fingers crossed*
Old March 21, 2002, 01:23   #6
Oerdin
Deity

I havbe no experience with playing over a LAN so I'm not sure if this will help you or not but it almost always pays to free up as many resources as possible before you begin a game. It also helps to reboot the system prior to playing since this will reset any memory leaks and fix any instabilities. Check what I wrote in the FAQ and if problems persist then post another message. I hope this helps.
Old March 21, 2002, 07:38   #7
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 21:57
Hi Wittlich,
another LAN player! a rare breed it seems! anyway i've been playing CTP2 over LAN for about a year and this is what i've come up with to help me finish a game:

1. ALWAYS set 'dynamic rejoin' to yes in the setup menu for multiplayer(see FAQ).

2. ALWAYS play with the Activision 1.1patch installed (i used to try LAN without and you would get resynsch's every other turn!!)

If you set the 'dynamic rejoin' to yes, when you get a resync and the player that has been taken over by the AI is in the setup screen, he/she can rejoin and launch back into the current game on their next go. In this way you don't need to go through the hassel of constantly rebooting/reloading saved games.
I play all the mods with upto 4 human players and the rest AI(max 7 civs total, this leaves 1 for the Barbarians-has caused me a few problems in the past when i've selected 8 civs and i think the Mods like Craddle use Barbarians(9 total civs) - can cause crashes in multiplayer.)
I still get resynchs, but they don't happen too often.One thing to consider maybe is how different performance-wise both your pc's are? On the LAN i use all pc's are the same spec. In the normal world this shouldn't be too much of a problem, BUT we are talking CTP and even though the 1.1 patch makes things much more stable in multiplayer, i get the feeling that it was all a bit of a rush job. Still i have had good LAN sessions and the mod community here are very good at wanting to try and fix these problems

EDIT: As Oerdin said, free up all the system resources you can, i treat CTP2 with kids gloves and have nothing else running when playing multiplayer.Also i think you would notice if you were doing the rush buy bug!!

Last edited by child of Thor; March 21, 2002 at 08:01.