Old March 19, 2002, 21:57   #1
Colwyn
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 07:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Enemy units appearing in my cities via an EVENT!
When playing some scenarios I give Red Front as my immediete example I find that enemy units created in an event somehow end up in a city I still control.

Ie I own Riga a event occurs to create units at the co-ord of my city and they appear in my city with my units. I can disband them but not move them. I still have production and enemy units will no longer attack that city though the units inside will attack my units outside the city. This may been seen as good but ruins the game as I have to kill the city to be fair.

This only happens for Riga and sometime Kursk, looking though the events files many other of my cities are included but from what I can tell it(events) won't create units at a location that the enemy controls.

But with Riga/Kursk it apparently does?

Can some one clarify this or offer a explanation as to how this could occur. ie if I have no units left in the city will it allow it etc

I have reinstalled the events file from the original download but it still occurs.

I run win2000

Please help as I love RF V1.4 but this is happening more often now!
Old March 19, 2002, 22:09   #2
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 17:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What are you running it with? MGE/FW/ToT?
Old March 19, 2002, 22:13   #3
Colwyn
Prince

Running it with FW
Sorry should have mentioned FW.
Old March 19, 2002, 22:14   #4
DarthVeda
Emperor

Did you have units garrisoning the cities at the time the German units appeared?
Old March 19, 2002, 22:15   #5
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I'm guessing this as I don't have the RF events in front of me, but I'd say that your problem is being caused by the units not having alternate 'spawn' points for when the city/square is occupied by enemy units. You an fix this by editing the rules to include an extra spawn point.
Old March 19, 2002, 23:06   #6
Colwyn
Prince

Thanks darth/case for responding
Darth I'm not sure if I have any units left when the enemy ones appear as I start with about 5 but in RF there is a lot of casualties for me at the start of the game so its impossible to tell at what exact moment when Riga was attacked or killed my units the others appears.

Are you saying that if you have no units left and a event occurs that if a city is left defenceless the units will appear? Actually this won't be it b/c my units are there as well during my turn!

Case - I am not aware of this where can I make these chages to try this ie extra spawn point?
Old March 20, 2002, 00:03   #7
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Case
I'm guessing this as I don't have the RF events in front of me, but I'd say that your problem is being caused by the units not having alternate 'spawn' points for when the city/square is occupied by enemy units. You an fix this by editing the rules to include an extra spawn point.
If all locations specified in events for creation of a unit are enemy occupied than the event just doesn't happen. The only way an enemy unit can occupy a square (or city) that you also occupy is if it is added using "cheat mode." There must be something haywire with Colwyn's Civ2 program.
Old March 20, 2002, 02:03   #8
Colwyn
Prince

Haywire!!
Ok I'll try reinstalling civ FW b/c you may have a point b/c it only recently started to happen. I'll let you know.

Would this event do it if I owned the city at 33,61 or like create units will it not do it until the computer took over the city?

@IF
RECEIVEDTECHNOLOGY
technology=60
receiver=Germans
@THEN
MOVEUNIT
unit=AnyUnit
owner=Germans
maprect
moveto
numbertomove=ALL
@ENDIF
Old March 20, 2002, 09:39   #9
klesh
King

That event there will move all units within a box (the mapprecets determine the box dimensions) to 33,61. If the city at 33,61 is owned by you, the units will stop on their way there and the command 'leaves' them. They will then be standing at (for instance) 31,61 and attack the city on their own.

As techumseh said, if an event is set to create a unit in a city not owned by that particualr civ, the event merely doesnt occur. I have never seen it go through with the event and place units in another civ's cities...

Hope that helps.

-FMK.
Old March 20, 2002, 14:27   #10
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 22:57
I can't say I've ever seen this happen with land units before, but I have encountered enemy computer units in my cities that have an air/sea domain. I think that the computer will create these units in the square regardless if it is occupied by another power.

What unit is being created in these cities? If it is a naval/aerial unit, I believe you have your answer; if not, check what position the unit occupies in the rules.txt - it could be on one of the original default slots for naval/aerial units.

But I'm generally puzzled by this. Anyone else have a theory?
Old March 20, 2002, 15:36   #11
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 16:57
Sneaky Corsairs
With Harlan's LOTR scenario, I recall seeing naval dromonds created (via CreateUnit for the Haradrim) in a conquered Harad port containing a Gondor land unit. They were vulnerable to ground attack. It happened a while ago, but I think placing a human *naval* unit in the port may have prevented their creation there.
Old March 24, 2002, 18:33   #12
Colwyn
Prince

Reinstalling Civ2 & FW did the trick!
Thanks for your help and advice with this matter!

Since reinstall no furhter instances occured re enemy units appearing in my cities!