Old March 22, 2002, 16:47   #1
HuntrIsGod74831
Settler

Local Time: 22:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Internet being a wonder?
what do you people think about making the internet a wonder of the world in civ 3? connecting millions of people around the world is no easy feet. a penny for your thoughts?
Old March 22, 2002, 17:43   #2
Wjousts
Settler

Local Time: 17:06
A decent idea, it could increase science output in all your cities, maybe happiness too.
It could also increase the chance of successful propaganda since foreign citizens will be visiting your subversive websites (I don't think changing the chance of propaganda is possible with the current editor though).
Old March 22, 2002, 18:03   #3
godinex
Prince

Local Time: 16:06
I like the idea of wjousts "could also increase the chance of successful propaganda since foreign citizens will be visiting your subversive websites" I think is the best idea about the internet problem... and can also increase the comerce in all cities.
Old March 22, 2002, 18:03   #4
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 18:06
Increase science by having instant access to lots of knowledge, but decrease production as people are goofing off at work (like I am right now) on the net and not being productive.

I don't think it would effect coruption that much, as the internet opens up even more ways to commit fraud, dispite the better communication between people.

just my 2 cents.

Slightly off topic, I have always thought that a great wonder would be "Interstate Highway System", instead of having to build superhighways in all of your cities. Placing that much concrete (I am a civil engineer and do this type of work) is an amazing feat, considering the right of ways to be aquired, the money and the actual construction....

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old March 22, 2002, 18:27   #5
TechWins
King

Local Time: 15:06
It was thought that at one point we would have a Great Canal wonder and an Internet wonder, but I guess along the ways those ideas got scratched (I won't even mention the likely reason why, either ). The reason why it was thought is, either, because it was mentioned in an early review of Civ3 or Firaxis happened to drop a line about it....this was about a year ago, IIRC.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old March 22, 2002, 20:18   #6
Thrawn05
King

I wouldn't call my current 14 kbps connection from a 56K modem a great wonder....

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a wonder like that. But why would I want a city on the other side of the map joining my civ? It would just produce 1 shield anyway since it would be so far away.
Old March 22, 2002, 21:24   #7
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 23:06
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
The Internet would be a Small Wonder with a similar function in modern times as before the Great Library. Hook up and you can learn about other civilizations' advances, say you get to know everything another civ knows after a set number of turns - provided of course that the other civ is also hooked up, so it works both ways. Including times of war.
Old March 23, 2002, 00:21   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:06
This is Civ3. This is not CtP. This is not CtP2. "Wonders of the World" is a Civilization (the game) concept other than the "7 wonders of the world," and therefore totally arbitrary.

(Sorry, too much rum)
Old March 23, 2002, 02:21   #9
Carbon Copy
Settler

Here's what I would imagine it doing:
The Internet would be a cool wonder/small wonder, but it would come so late in the game that the field of civs probably would already be spread out a good bit, and it's hard to find a benefit that wouldn't be completely unbalancing at that point of the game. So let's have its effect level the playing field, rather than specifically tilt the playing field in the builder's direction.

I imagine it being a Great Wonder and working kind of like the Great Library, but between EVERY civ that has researched Computers (kind of like how the Manhattan Project goes), i.e. if you have computers, regardless of whether you built the Internet or not, you can automagically learn a tech if two other civs also with Computers have it. Additionally, it provides EVERY civ with a small research discount (let's say, 10%), applied after any difficulty bonuses are taken (i.e. if it's deity and the computer only requires 60% of the beakers that the human does to research a tech, after the Internet it would require 54%, not 50%). This would signify the net as a levelling force in scientific knowledge rather than a gap-widening one. The tech prices for the modern age would probably need some upward adjusting back to their 1.16 levels, if not higher, to compensate, though.

This could make the end-game tech race a bit closer than it usually would be. It would also mean that, like the Manhattan Project, you wouldn't necessarily want to go and prebuild it to get it as soon as you can (unless you're lagging behind in tech and you need to catch up to launch your ship).
Old March 23, 2002, 06:22   #10
philler
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:06
it should also decrease production of all cities by 50%, because of all those people spending countless hours on the internet instead of working!!