Old February 3, 2001, 16:08   #1
sleeperservice
Prince

Local Time: 02:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
In order to buy the game I want multiple maps.
Thanks.
Old February 3, 2001, 23:41   #2
don Don

Multiple maps a la TOT? Only if we can have some better means of modelling transportation between maps. If you want maps for Earth, LEO, Geosynch, and the Moon then have some way to "move" between them.

Old February 4, 2001, 00:32   #3
sleeperservice
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by don Don on 02-03-2001 10:41 PM
Multiple maps a la TOT? Only if we can have some better means of modelling transportation between maps. If you want maps for Earth, LEO, Geosynch, and the Moon then have some way to "move" between them.

Yes ala TOT.
Dont worry about trans .I am sure that mods could use multiple maps in a great way.

Old February 4, 2001, 15:20   #4
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:45
I dont think muliple maps are important.. i have tot and i only play the 'original' game, the others take too long, and with only 7 civs max seem a bit empty.
Old February 5, 2001, 19:19   #5
JosefGiven
Warlord

Local Time: 00:45
I am dead set against multipul maps in Civ III. Sorry, but I am.

It was one of the features that I thought really had no place in ToT. What was the point? Right at the end of the game, you could teleport blokes onto another planet, build a few weiner cities, and five turns later 'discover' transcendance mutter...mutter...new-age hippie nonsense...

From another angle, let's say you concentrate on populating this new found world. Once that's done, what then? Haven't you just copied what you've done in the beginning and middle stages of the game on Earth? With two planets captured, occupied and developed, you're faced with the same dilemma that you would have playing a scenario restricted to Earth. There is no where else to go!

To show that I'm not all gloom and doom, I'd like to mention an idea that I read about for an alternative end-game. ToT introduces the concept of an alien civ. I'm in two minds about this...Whilst the idea of alien civilization can be tackled seriously and objectively, Firaxis could easily bungle the job, and turn our precious Civ into a ridiculous sci-fi mockery!! Intsead, I like this idea of an alien INVASION! A super hard-core alien race that decends to Earth trashing everything in sight, and giving even the most developed human civ a really hard time.

Hmm, I've made it look silly. Well, it's there in The List, except the idea's original author explained it much better.

------------------
Josef Given
josefgiven@hotmail.com
Old February 5, 2001, 22:44   #6
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:45
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I would like to say that multiple maps are a very powerful design too for creative scenario designers. With multiple maps, one could simulate a lot of effects, including colonization, high-altitude bombers, etc.
Old February 5, 2001, 23:50   #7
Kestrel
Warlord

Local Time: 00:45
Like a previous poster I too am in favor of the flexibility that 'multiple maps' can offer.

Multiple maps can also (of course) be used in the Standard (non-fantasy, non-scifi) game to simulate Deep Ocean (for Submarines to hide) , Underground (for tunnels, bomb shelters), Surface (as per Original Civ2) and Stratospheric realms (allows high altitide fighters/bombers to circumvent the "Wall of Flesh" and "Ring of Airbases" cheats).

You can set it up so that the players can only build cities on the surface (so reducing the time it would take to play the game), but the the inclusion of these other (linked) maps can add tremendously to the complexity (and realism) of the game.

(See also the "3-D" mod-pack or the "Millennium" modpack for Civ2-ToT.)
Old February 6, 2001, 07:45   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:45
quote:

Originally posted by Kestrel on 02-05-2001 10:50 PM
Multiple maps can also (of course) be used in the Standard (non-fantasy, non-scifi) game to simulate Deep Ocean (for Submarines to hide) , Underground (for tunnels, bomb shelters), Surface (as per Original Civ2) and Stratospheric realms (allows high altitide fighters/bombers to circumvent the "Wall of Flesh" and "Ring of Airbases" cheats).

I'm loosely in favour of multiple heights representable on one map (I'm thinking along the lines of games like XCom - much better than trying to scan across from three separate maps) but I can't see how a wall of airbases is a "cheat". It's a game way of establishing precisely what most modern countries try to have. In Civ 3 it would be nice to have fighter patrol/reaction options to bar incursions without having to have a physical wall of units. National air and sea space is as rigidly controlled as their land when countries have the hardware to do so.

Old February 7, 2001, 21:53   #9
sleeperservice
Prince

bumb