Old March 22, 2002, 23:39   #1
Dark Destroyer
Settler

Local Time: 22:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
War!
Im in a situation Ive never been in before, Im now at war with almost everyone (5 c ivs)

I had a mutual protection pact with the Frogs & Jerries, and after my old enemy and closest neighbour got into a scrap with them they got me to fight their battle for them. I spent about 25 turns wipeing them out, they still have about 20 cities left but they are pretty much out of it. They have refused all communication, so i cant get peace anyway.

Since then the french and germans made peace, and then suddenly declared war on me, along with the egyptians new allies the russians and chinese

I couldnt care less as I will eventually wipe out the Egytians, and the others were on a different continent.

Then my other neighbours the aztecs declare war.

Now I know this sounds like a sob story, but I have now been at war for many turns, unable to even strike at most of my enemies.

By big problem though is War Weariness. I am totally crippled as I need 70% luxuries and 30% tax just to keep everyone happy and maintain my defensive armies.

Everytime I make peace with one civ, their ally forces them to redeclare war.

What the bloody hell can i do?
Old March 22, 2002, 23:44   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:06
A. Hold off making peace with any until you can make peace with all in the same turn.

B. Switch to Communism and wipe the floor with the whole lot of them.
Old March 23, 2002, 00:03   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:06
Other options which MAY or may NOT work include bringing all your troops home or getting out of democracy to republic. Communism takes a little adjusting to, as finances are the pits in that government. War weariness can be a little fickle in democracy or republic, and predicting what will work is problematic, just as in reality.

I would have done something about the war way before I got to 70% entertainment. Such as focusing on obtaining (capturing) more luxuries, ...

How you can predictably make peace with everyone at the same time, I have NO idea. I have read of the potential for giving a lot in return for peace, but haven't given a whole lot in practice. If you have been at war with some civs for an extended period, you may have become a 'mortal enemy,' which does not bode well for an extended peace.

Sometimes the bleepin' game can turn into very painful learning experiences. If things continue to go badly, it may serve to change your objectives for playing this one (like learning from it instead of enjoying it).
Old March 23, 2002, 00:11   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Sometimes the bleepin' game can turn into very painful learning experiences. If things continue to go badly, it may serve to change your objectives for playing this one (like learning from it instead of enjoying it).
Very good advice from time to time.
Old March 23, 2002, 01:57   #5
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

From my experience, I get the impression that war weariness depends on how long you've been at war with a particular civ rather than how long you've been at war overall. If my hypothesis is right (and I haven't tested it enough to be sure), it's that first war that really needs to be brought to an end ASAP if you don't want the anarchy of changing governments. One possible strategy (and I have no idea whether it's a good one, not having seen your exact position) would be to fend off the newer attackers but concentrate whatever offensive forces you can spare on your older enemy.

Does anyone else have indications on whether or not ending that first war (even if only temporarily) brings significant improvements in war weariness even when wars that started significantly later are still in progress?

Nathan
Old March 23, 2002, 02:02   #6
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Local Time: 17:06
dont worry, eventually the game will force you into the ultimate war time govt, anarchy :P