View Poll Results: How many PBEM games are you currently playing?
1 1 6.25%
2 0 0%
3 2 12.50%
4 1 6.25%
5 1 6.25%
6-9 5 31.25%
10+ 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 23, 2002, 06:21   #1
duMa
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How many PBEM games is enough?
I was just wondering... and would like to see some advice from some of the veterans out there:

How many PBEM games are you playing and how many PBEM games do you think is 'enough' for one person to handle?

Do you stagger your games? Start one in January, another in June, instead of 4 in January?

I want to play more, but I don't want to make SMAC a full time job in a year when the turns require that much more attention. So, I reach out my floppy ears to the voices of the aged.

Thx.

(Heh, would a moderator be so kind as to add a '0' option to the poll? Thx)

Last edited by duMa; March 23, 2002 at 07:15.
Old March 23, 2002, 10:15   #2
Radman
Prince

Local Time: 15:07
How many SMAC games are too many?

Two quick opinions, first, you have too many if you can't meet your obligations of movng at least once per day!

Second, you have too many games when you can't meet your obligations in your daily life!

Radman
Old March 23, 2002, 10:44   #3
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 22:07
Pretty much what Radman said. Googlie holds the all-time record, I think, with about 28, but that's going a bit far - I'm in half a dozen at the moment, but a lot of players I know are around the 16-18 mark. Guess it depends how much time you have on your hands
Old March 23, 2002, 17:02   #4
spartak
King

Never having played PBEM I can't really say.
Old March 23, 2002, 19:59   #5
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 18:07
I've had as many as 19, and am currently in 17, with 2 more forming up (CGN10 and "Attack of the Greenies").

-=Vel=-
Old March 24, 2002, 00:01   #6
John Paul Jones
Prince

Radman summed it up for me too.
I'm currently playing 6 (although one seems to have stalled), and averaging 1 or 2 turns a day from these.
Old March 24, 2002, 03:29   #7
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 00:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I don't know what else do people with 15+ games do but for me 5-10 games is more than enough. At the very beginning turns are played smoothly but if you have twenty mature games in your hands...then you can't have a job or any real other hobbies if you want to play a turn per day.
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old March 24, 2002, 11:56   #8
SITS
King

I'm currently playing 10 at the moment and sometimes it is hard to get the turns out if they all come at once. I have two very mature games at the moment so they take up a fair bit of time. I might start a couple more when they are finished...
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old March 24, 2002, 18:50   #9
Darius
Prince

Local Time: 17:07
As long as you're having fun with the games you're already in, go ahead and start another one if you want to. When you start stressing out, or not getting your turns out within a day or so, or not seeing your family, then that's too many games. Just try not to start a bunch of games at the same time, because then later on you will have a bunch of advanced games at the same time.

I was recently in eleven games, now ten, soon to be eleven again. As SITS said, if they all come at once, that's a lot. But with ten or so games, it usually averages out to 2-3 turns per day which is pretty manageable.

I keep hoping that if I play enough games, I will eventually become a decent player.
Old March 24, 2002, 21:52   #10
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 15:07
Currently I'm in 17

2 are two-player parallel games, and they sometimes turn 3 or 4 times on a weekend day (parallel games are where you start 2 games with another player simultaneously, say as the Hive and Morgan, with the other player playing, respectively, Morgan and the Hive)

5 are seven-player games, which are fast if they turn more than once a week.

Prolly, though, more than a dozen is too many. I often find myself rushing a turn to completion if it's the last one of seven or eight in the one evening, without doing due diligence (e.g. I might inadvertently leave a base stockpiling energy, or even worse, with drone problems - I once lost a defecting base to the drones under those circumastances)

G.