Old March 24, 2002, 05:17   #1
philler
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
for civ3 developers: a bug that crashes the game, with saved game attached.
I'm playing the chinese, I'm at war with babylon and have taken all their cities.

they only have a boat left (probably with a settler in it...). when I attack that boat and sink it, I get the message saying the the babs are defeated, and the game immediatly crashes.
(I made the savegame so that my caravel is the first unit to move. if it's not, it's in the upper right corner of the map).
Attached Files:
File Type: zip last_boat_bug.zip (91.4 KB, 2 views)
Old March 24, 2002, 06:38   #2
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 14:08
Yeah the infamous last settler on a ship bug. I think Firaxis has somes of saves of the bug allready. Then again I am pretty sure this bug was reported to them before 1.17f came out.

I looked at the save with Gramphos' save game editor. That galley has a settler and a longbowman on it. Boy you sure have a lot cities fast for what looks like a standard map.

Did you modify the game or is this the result of heavy duty warmongering. Four dead civs allready counting the babs and I have the sneaking suspicion that you are the culprit. When I first looked at the F8 screen I thought I was looking at a Chieftain game.

Yep it crashed for me as well.

I moved the Settler and the longbowman with the editor. Did it wrong the first time. I had to changed loaded to none.

So if you want to play this game out here is a version you can use. The settler and the longbowman are now moved 6 tiles west onto your land. A bit of cheat but since the game crashes otherwise there isn't much choice. I tested it and took out the longbowman with a convienent musketman and got the dead civ pop up. Clicked on it without crashing but I stopped after the screen closed.
Attached Files:
Old March 24, 2002, 07:20   #3
philler
Chieftain

thanks for the modified saved game, but I've already continued the game since I posted the message.
I made peace with the babs (so that the citiy I captured wouldn't be unhappy), and I'm trying to lure the settler in that boat to an empty space where the indians used to be.
as soon as he gets out of that boat, kaboom!

The game I'm playing is a totally standard map, I didn't modify anything in the editor and I don't use any mod.
It is a continents / 80% ocean if I remember correctly, and somehow all the (8?) civs started on the same continent.
I guess the others island are rather small and that's why nobody started on them (I'm not sure if it shows in the saved game you have but the indian have colonized a small island to the northeast).

I've been at war for most of the game but I didn't start the war very early. I first grew to 4 cities, then I was stuck by neighboring civs so I first took out england which was the weakest (did that with horsemen).
Then india, me and france conducted a war against japan and persia to the south, weakened them and made peace.
at that point I got riders, and I attacked my former allies the french who were isolated to the north. conquered them in a couple of turns, didn't have to raze anything.

then I took out the babs who I have been at war with for some time, then persia (who had exterminated zulus in the meantime), then japan to the south.
the war with the persians was the hardest, somehow they were still able to produce knights and immortals even though I had cut off their iron and horses!! (they couldn't have traded it with another civ, as none have more than 1 of each... I know they can carry on a production once it has started even though I cut off the resource, but those immortals kept coming in large numbers so either they had a lot of them in reserve or they kept building them even though they had no resource...)

at that point the only two civs left beside me are england with a couple of shitty jungle cities to the east, and india who have the western part of the continent (with me all around them).
I logically attacked india from north, east, and south at the same time.
4 turns laters all their cities were razed except the one with the Great Lighthouse. I have 3 settlers on their way to colonize these liberated lands.

No I only have to take care of the 5 or 6 small indian cities on that island to the northwest. Two caravel with elite riders in are on their way.
In the meantime, I'll also take care of the english.

conquest victory should come in 10-15 turns. probably in the 700-ish AD.

this is my first attempt at emperor and I'm surprised with the little resistance I encountered. The starting location was normal, nothing great. I wasn't especially lucky in combats. believe it or not but I didn't reload once since the beginning of the game (well, except for when the game crashed when I sunk that bab boat. I tried a couple of times and then gave up).
the most incredible thing is that will a militaristic civ and all those fights, I didn't have any Great Leader!?! do they spawn more rarely at emperor level or is it just plain bad luck?? I've probably won over a hundred fights if not more, and most my units are elite... weird!

if you're interested I'll check to see if I have a 4000 BC saved game of this map.
Old March 24, 2002, 07:23   #4
philler
Chieftain

I do have a 4000 BC save.

and it's already 770 AD, so the victory will be in the 800's.
Old March 24, 2002, 08:04   #5
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 14:08
Well that looks like a pretty succesfull first game on Emeror. I lost mine. Stuck on an island and by the time I made contact the world was full up. All I had going for me was that no one could get at me. A whole 8 cities jammed onto an island that was mostly plains with as much desert as grassland is not very condusive to going on the rampage.

Lost by Space Race. I had everyone at war with the leader but the other two civs couldn't put an invasion together and I had been forced to concentrate on a navy to protect my shore. I did have 3 parts built.

My second and present emperor game is going much better but I have gone rather a bit more of a builder than you. I am in my second war and its with tanks. The first was a phony war. The Russians tried to extort and I told them to shove off. Stupidly they wasted time trying to get at me. I mostly blocked the shore but they did manage to land a few units three times. Pretty pitifull. Since then Cathy has tried to bluff me THREE times. She is next. Right after the Greeks who share the same continent with me.

I have to catch up with the Iriqouis before its too late. They are too far away to be worth fighting right now.

Your idea with the Babalonians may work. There seems to be places where they may be able to land. You can win by domination anyway.

Suggestion. Don't follow them. If they try going to sea the game could crash when they sink. I know one person handled this situation by getting another civ to attack the ship. If he watched the attack the game crashed. But when he left the area his ally took the ship without a crash.

You may have to hunt them down later. There very may well be another fair sized land mass they could land on.

Emporer doesn't help the AI if you have more than they do so fast. They usually can't get their production up because they waste the land by irrigating too much. I noticed you were not doing that. Looked more like the way I develop the land.

Riders are a deadly unit this early in the game so I can see how you could pull of a rush. I don't know if I can do that. I don't play for conquest. I like to see how early I can launch. My last game on Monarch I launched before 1800. Thats when I decided to finally try Emperor. Not as hard as I expected. I had more trouble adapting to Monarch. Deity looks to be all together different. The AI gets a heck of lot of units to start the game on top of the production bonuses.

Good luck with that ship. If it won't settle get the Editor that Gramphos made. Just move both the units on the ship to the shore. Be sure to mark them as not being loaded on anything. Its not cheating. Its a work around. I don't think simply deleting the units would work. That might bypass the check for the destruction of the civ. Then you would be stuck with a civ that cannot ever go away.
Old March 24, 2002, 08:38   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

According to Mike Breitkreutz the "last ship bug" will be fixed in the next patch. There were a few savegames already, including mine in the 1.17f readme thread. In the IRC chat about 1.17f Mike said, that the bug was found and will be fixed in the next version.

As to the ship: Once you have peace with the Babs, give them a crappy city of yours for free, declare war, sink the ship and retake the city. That's the easiest way out.
Old March 24, 2002, 09:48   #7
philler
Chieftain

sorry, I didn't know this was a known issue, I don't have time to read all the threads of these forums.

I was finally able get rid of the babs when they landed and founded a city (interestingly they had immediately 2 longbowmen and 4 spearmen, + workers!!)
I also had a problem with an indian city which was on a 1-square-only island. I had to make peace and sue for this city before redeclaring war again.

had it been their last city I would have been screwed.

for those who care, I'll post the saved game so you can see the summary replay.

conquest in 860 AD, 7467 pts.

as incredible as it seems, no Great Leader, even though I had a militaristic civ!
go figure...
Attached Files:
Old March 24, 2002, 13:41   #8
Mr. Blaze
Settler

Local Time: 17:08
That no great leader thing IS weird, my current game, im the Romans, started a war with the aztecs early. was a continent with 7 civs on it.. :/ and within about 20 turns from the start of the war i had 3 great leaders.. havnt had any since tho