Old March 25, 2002, 10:51   #1
EmperorMatthewI
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Don't have enough room...
I really don't have enough room to put all the European powers on the continent. I had heck to pay trying to put Benelux (Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg) on the map.

Any way, i'm suffering a few setbacks on the scenario. There have been points where i've tried to open the scenario, but the program crashed. At present, I'm using a 400x400 map. Do you think i should use a smaller map and sacrifice detail?

Patience is an asset, if your plan is world conquest.
Old March 25, 2002, 11:28   #2
EmperorMatthewI
Chieftain

need help...
For now, I'm going to have to settle for the basic units and just a map with cities. I'm not very good with SLIC code nor do I know how to edit sprites. If anyone wants to help me on those two fronts, e-mail me at Great2bdaking@aol.com. I'll take care of the maps and background.

Old March 25, 2002, 13:22   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
When it comes to a map, a smaller map would perhaps not be a bad idea as people who don't have high-end PCs (like me ) wouldn't be able to play your scenario.

When it comes to the Benelux, just having Amsterdam and Antwerp would probably suffice (and Dunkerque, but unfortunately that's part of France these days). Maybe add Luxembourg and Arnhem if you have the room, but (as painful as it is to admit for me as an inhabitant of the region ) most of the Benelux didn't played a very significant role in WWII (aside from the Ardennes, but that's not an urban area). On a small map even just Amsterdam would suffice as well.

When it comes to units, you definitely ought to check out Harlan's WWII units pack if you haven't already (it's in the file database somewhere).

It's not really possible to actually edit existing sprites. You could make screenshots of them and change those but that would be a lot of work. Not really worth the effort since there are already tons of WWII era units out there.

When it comes to SLIC, that's gonna be a little tricky. At the moment there are many scenario makers on these forums and many other people with good ideas of things to implement in SLIC. This is great, a fantastic development compared to a few months ago, but there are only a few SLIC coders. The demand is WAY bigger than the supply. But if you post some practical ideas on the Creation forum of what you'd like to do with SLIC, hopefully/probably someone will at the very least give you some pointers of how such things could be done.

But just having a simple scenario with some cool units and a nice and realistic map would already be a great thing to have, not every scenario can/should be of the same level of complexity as the Alexander scenario (I thoroughly enjoyed Frederick scenario myself)...
Old March 26, 2002, 12:03   #4
EmperorMatthewI
Chieftain

All the Start Dates and Events
In Chronological Order:

Japan: September 18, 1931 - Invasion of Manchuria
Italy: October 5, 1935 - Invasion of Ethiopia
Germany: September 1, 1939 - Invasion of Poland
Great Britain: June 22, 1940 - Fall of France
Soviet Union: June 22, 1941 - Invasion of Soviet Union by Germany
United States: December 7, 1941 - Pearl Harbor

Some people were asking about that so I figured I'd tell you

Old March 26, 2002, 13:26   #5
ískallin
Call to Power II Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 10:10
I had the same problem
Always when i tryed to start up my scenario the game crashed
and with the Benelux should i have the dutch playable???
Old March 26, 2002, 15:42   #6
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Very interesting list, EmperorMatthewI, I like the starting dates of Italy and Japan (one could easily have chosen a later date but I like it better like this)...

That would be an interesting option (playing with the Dutch), see if you can survive for more than 5 turns
Old March 26, 2002, 16:11   #7
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 18:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Very interesting list, EmperorMatthewI, I like the starting dates of Italy and Japan (one could easily have chosen a later date but I like it better like this)...

That would be an interesting option (playing with the Dutch), see if you can survive for more than 5 turns
Should be possible...

...from a start date of September 18, 1931.

The good Emperor is trying to do the whole war on a 400x400 map? Ambitious!
Old March 26, 2002, 17:20   #8
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 08:10
More accurate dates for some of those nations:

- USSR: 17th Sept 1939 - Invasion of Poland to comply with the German-USSR pact). Or, you could use 30th November 1939 which was USSR's invasion of Finland.
- Great Britain: 3rd Sept 1939 - Declared war on Germany to comply with Polish-British Mutual Assistance treaty. Also, British naval and air units were engaged with Germany for the defense of Norway.

My opinion for Germany's start date would better be put at July 1936. Reason: It was Nazi Germany's first military action by aiding Franco in the Spanish Civil War. Dur to their assistence in the revolution, it begin the downward spiral into WW2.
Old March 26, 2002, 17:51   #9
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
- USSR: 17th Sept 1939 - Invasion of Poland to comply with the German-USSR pact). Or, you could use 30th November 1939 which was USSR's invasion of Finland.
I agree here.
Quote:
- Great Britain: 3rd Sept 1939 - Declared war on Germany to comply with Polish-British Mutual Assistance treaty. Also, British naval and air units were engaged with Germany for the defense of Norway.
Matter of preference, I suppose. I like both alternatives myself.

Quote:
My opinion for Germany's start date would better be put at July 1936. Reason: It was Nazi Germany's first military action by aiding Franco in the Spanish Civil War. Dur to their assistence in the revolution, it begin the downward spiral into WW2.
Hmm, I think that would be too early. Japan clearly started the war much earlier than the classic dat of September '39 but Franco's war, although it was a prelude to WWII, was a different war. The same basically goes for the war between Italy and Ethiopia but I'd make an exception there because AFAIK that war was basically one of the few successful campaigns of the Italians (and the Italians only).
Old March 26, 2002, 18:05   #10
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 08:10
Didn't think I could slip the German one in like that.

I just wanted to play as Germany earlier, and see if I could complete Rommel-Kleist's pincer Middle-east manouver like it was supposed to happen in real life.
Old March 27, 2002, 12:33   #11
EmperorMatthewI
Chieftain

anyone have Japanese WWII units
does anyone happen to have some Japanese WWII units, cause I'd like to use some for the Pacific front.

Speaking of which, if I end up using other things, maps, units, etc., I'll give you credit in the read me file i will include with the Scenario.

The turnlength file will be one per scenario. Meaning i will have 6 turnlength files in this thing.

I will also have a special wonder for this scenario: The Manhattan Project. However, there will be a catch. It can only be built by either the Germans or the Americans . (Sorry Stalin, can't have it!) This will allow that civ to build the Atomic Bomb. However, I will try to fix it so both civs can build their own versions. Americans will call the wonder by its historical name as the Germans will call it by theirs, don't know what the Germans called it but if anyone knows, I'd like to know.