Old March 25, 2002, 16:19   #1
dman2430
Settler

Local Time: 16:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How Do I Speed Up Construction & Advances?
Hello,
Once again I'm proving to all of you that I have no idea what I'm doing. You all talk about speeding up construction of something or reducing the turns it takes to get a new advancement. How do you do this? Also, what are the penalties for it. Please help. Also, in case you haven't seen my other post, I'm still trying to place an embasy. Explain that as well if you can.

Later Days,
Dylan The Newbie :-)
Old March 25, 2002, 16:57   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 18:11
Embassy: upon the discovery of Writing, double-click on the little star icon next to your capitol city's name, and it will bring up the embassy options. Bring your checkbook.

Speeding construction: depends on your system of government. Under despotism and communism, this consumes people, through forced labor. Under monarchy, republic and democracy, it costs money. Right-click on a city and there should be an option for "hurry production." You can also zoom to the city and click on the tiny icon that looks kinda like a foot. I think the "h" button will also work from the city screen.

Speeding advances: press F1. On the top of the screen, there is a sliding bar for Taxes/Science. At the beginning of the game, it is set to 50% tax 50% science. You can click on the + or - to increase or decrease it, or you can drag the slider.

In a more general sense, speeding advances requires more commerce. Build roads, build libraries, markets, universities, banks and research labs, build Great Wonders that save money or increase science. Build lots of cities. And trade with the AI.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 26, 2002, 11:46   #3
Borg Hunter
Settler

Local Time: 17:11
More speeding construction tips: Build mines all over the place, make your citizens work on high-shield land (forests, plains, bonus grassland, hills, mountains) For wonders that affect all cities or cities on the same continent, build the wonder/small wonder in your capital or another high-shield city. Build power plants and factories also, but beware the pollution! Avoid coal power plants if you can and build a less-polluting one. In fact, build the Hoover Dam. And of course, if you have a city which has coal and iron in its radius, build Iron Works. Just have a few spare workers automated to clean up pollution (Ctrl + P). Alas, more cities doesn't increase production.
"Bypasses are roads that get people from Point A to Point B or vice-versa very quickly. People living in Point C, which is a point directly in between A and B, wonder what's so great about Point A that everyone from Point B wants to get there, and what's so great about Point B that everyone from Point A wants to get there. They just wish everyone would work out where the hell they want to be."
From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (slightly edited)
Old March 27, 2002, 12:57   #4
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 23:11
Quote:
Originally posted by dman2430
Hello,
Once again I'm proving to all of you that I have no idea what I'm doing. You all talk about speeding up construction of something or reducing the turns it takes to get a new advancement. How do you do this? Also, what are the penalties for it. Please help. Also, in case you haven't seen my other post, I'm still trying to place an embasy. Explain that as well if you can.

Later Days,
Dylan The Newbie :-)
TIP: try the manual.

That is if you've actually bought the game.

Oh I get it, you're waiting on the finally patched version before buying the beta?

Guess you've got a good point there!

AJ
Old March 27, 2002, 18:01   #5
dman2430
Settler

Local Time: 16:11
Yeah, I have the manual
Yeah, I bought the game
How dare you take me for a piece of slime like that? (Just don't ask where like 35 of my 40 CD's come from ;-)

But that is the biggest fricken manual I have ever seen. I'd just rather look in the game's civilopedia which helped me none.

Later Days,
Dylan :-)
Old March 28, 2002, 11:07   #6
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 23:11
No offense ment ...

AJ
Old March 28, 2002, 15:36   #7
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 22:11
On the Domestic Advisor screen, up at top right, change the science rate and luxury rate, remember the tax rate is what is left over when all add up to 100%. Ex: 70% Science - -0% Luxury - leaves 30% for taxes. Left side tells if the Tax is in the red instead of in the Black.

Have a lot of 'we love the King' days by making citizens happy.
Start a war to gain a leader to build a wonder faster.

Research upwards instead of across, meaning the levels not the screen, lower techs will take less time then.

See how the computer plays the game, and try it their way.

Buy the tech after the other Civs want you to give them a token because your doing so bad - ask how much to buy a tech if they have any one different - 40 gold coins is not that bad to buy a tech, but you will have to tweak the Science setting tax screen up above in the Domestic Advisor and check on that screen every few turns.

Its a micromanagement game. Tweak the city display screen and other things - adjust how fast the city will grow or set it for production in the city screen.

Read the manual and play the game for years, it will eventually come to you that you may play it the way that you want or not any anyway playing the game.

Its a model and as such, any emotions that you feel when playing the game will determine how many save games starts you load up to retry again and again.

Remember the last Civ game was out 5 years ago, so you have probably 3 years to perfect your playing ability of the game.

Cheat whenever possible, and cause disruption with the other leaders. Start wars and beg for forgiveness, and woo them with your leadership abilities.

Check out the stradegy Civ III link.
Old March 28, 2002, 15:46   #8
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 22:11
Have your Emperor's hat, (and clothes and be wearing the ensemble) and your confetti and Bugle ready and available while playing the game.

Snacks may help also!

Set aside several months of playing game time - the game is like an OS, use the keyboard command on page 196-199 if you like.

Type like Hell, while playing the game to make the game go faster.