Old March 25, 2002, 17:01   #1
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Where is the specific start position option?
I mean, where is it in the editor? I'm trying to find it but I can't. I'm trying to play with Marla's map but i never start at the right spot! Why?

Spec.
Old March 25, 2002, 17:24   #2
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Come on! Someone HAS to know!
Old March 25, 2002, 17:45   #3
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 14:11
As far as I know (although my knowledge is often proved wrong), there is no such option. You will have to just keep restarting until you by chance end up where you want. If this gets boring after awhile, then you can take a break for a couple hours or try again the next day. Hopefully, you will be where you want in under a week. (mild exaggeration)
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old March 25, 2002, 17:55   #4
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:11
There is no option to specify starting locations for civs; however, there are utilities in the files forum that will let you set their start locations.
Old March 25, 2002, 19:35   #5
Venger
King

Local Time: 16:11
I have a funny feeling that this get's addressed in the next patch - it's too glaring an oversight to have for much longer.

Venger
Old March 25, 2002, 20:27   #6
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 15:11
Mike (the editor guy) has already mentioned that this is a priority for the editor, so I suspect we'll see it in the next patch.
Old March 25, 2002, 21:52   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:11
Re: Where is the specific start position option?
Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator
I mean, where is it in the editor? I'm trying to find it but I can't. I'm trying to play with Marla's map but i never start at the right spot! Why?

Spec.
I haven't got Marla's, but in order to start with historical positions on her map weren't you supposed to start (or continue) a scenario or somthin'???

Where's the bleepin' 'Read Me' file?
Old March 26, 2002, 07:14   #8
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 14:11
If you got the Marla map from the official Civ III site you may have the wrong version. The right version has a bunch of stuff with it and the tools to automaticaly put things in the right starting positions.

I originally downloaded the map from the Civ III site. I set the starting posistions with Gramphos's multitool. He had a file that did it automaticly. Unfortunatly that isn't enought. Marla modded the rules and one of the mods requires graphics for a UU ship that weren't with the CivIII site version.

You had better have one heck of a machine to play that. The map is EXTRA HUGE. Someone claimed to be have timed 45 minute waits for the AI moves in the industrial era. With a fast machine.

Other items I noted in a dozens turns of play is the settlers are expensive. 60 shields. Europe is really crowded.

Here is a link for the right file at CivFanatics. I downloaded it twice from Apolyton last week and it was corrupted both times.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...?threadid=9829

Unzip it and then run the executable file. It will install itself. There are instructions for how to get the proper starting positions. You have to start the game and imediatly save it as FIX.SAV then run the program that will set it up. You don't even have to quit Civ III. Just save, execute, and reload the new version called FIXED.SAV.

Have fun. Have a next generation machine as well. That thing is beyond huge.
Old March 26, 2002, 09:03   #9
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 17:11
I don't really think start positions will be adressed in the next patch for the Editor. I have a deep sinking feeling that it will be in something like 1.19f.

Someone prove me wrong! For the love humanity!