Old February 12, 2001, 17:28   #121
Roman
King

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ includes names of various (though by no means all) important civilizations throughout human history. Almost none of these were the indigenous inhabitants of the place where their civilization developed. Leaving the Americans out due to their displacement of Native Americans is like leaving the English out because of their displacement of the Celts. The same argument can be made for almost any other civilization. My conclusion therefore is: keep the Americans as one of the default civs, after all there is no doubt that they are at least now a great and dominant civilization (together with us their European allies - the Atlantic Civilization [according to Huntington, anyway]).
Old February 12, 2001, 21:21   #122
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:45
Local Date: October 30, 2010
There should be an option box for Unique Benefits. If you check the option box, the game immediately prompts you to "Insert Age of Kings CD-ROM" and allows you to play that for a while.
Old February 13, 2001, 02:25   #123
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 19:45
Now, EnochF, play nice... Firaxis said they're gonna have abilities for Civs, so we should think of some so the +/- guys don't get their way!
Old February 13, 2001, 06:32   #124
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:45
quote:

Civ is a product of time, not of original growth and settling from the beginnning of human civilization as all the others seem to be (to a certain degree, nobody is perfectly original).
As long as there are Civs with custom names, they can and probably should remove the Americans. It won't bother me. Maybe they should be the default race name for the civilization that forms whenever the English player gets a schism from having the capital captured

I think this is one of that tweak easy to do by Firaxis and very nice to see for the sake of "historic feeling".
Was suggested time ago: take original culture - proper Civ - then let the player change name every time his/her Civ have a main change, e.g. main terrain conquer, destroy of another Civ, change of government, etc. Lots of similar events should be added if "Rise and fall of Empire" concept will be implemented.

Pop up appear

quote:

"Sir, we have annexed all cities from the Republic of Greek, now our German Sud East Province.
We can celebrate this victory renaming our Civ as -Empire of German Europe- " (name suggested, player can overwrite it
Choices: NO, keep our glorious name
YES, this is my will

I think is it flexible, more educative because jounger players can realize their country didn't rule the world from the dawn of Civ (only Chinese have some point to believe this ), funny for everyone - change name sometimes to better fit your Civ feeling can be great, but if you like to keep the same 'til the end, fine!

I'm afraid Firaxis will not implement this, not because of programming trouble, but because of marketing reasons: lot of players want his/her original country name on the box, careless if it never was an early Civilization.

Imagine on game box side and reviews Civ III feature include more than 100 different civilization to play with; now imagine Civ III feature include five civilization and minor tribe from start, evolving into many different civ as game advance ".

Do you think a company that still insist keeping Sid name on the title will do the later choice or the former ?

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
[This message has been edited by Adm.Naismith (edited February 13, 2001).]
Old February 13, 2001, 08:51   #125
TacticalGrace
Prince

Local Time: 00:45
quote:

Originally posted by Roman on 02-12-2001 04:28 PM
Leaving the Americans out due to their displacement of Native Americans is like leaving the English out because of their displacement of the Celts.

No there is a big difference. A big clue to the difference should be that we don't refer to the Celts as the Native English.

also a lot of the character of the people living in england has survived the many invasions over the millenia. The same cannot be said of what has happened in america. the american culture is largely that of english colonists with no trace of the ancient culture that grew natively in that area.

I bet that if you went back to 3000BC in england you'd find a miserable bunch of pasty faced britons, complaining about the weather, eating mind-numbingly plain food and get upset about the ring of stones that was supposed to be a millenium project.

for those who were interested in the 1812 discussion (and we are all interested in history here) the Britannica online says this:

"Though the U.S. gained none of its avowed aims, popular legend soon converted defeat into the illusion of victory."

note also that the English burned down all the public buildings in Washington.

got to hand it to the British of that era: they knew how to make there place in history.

Old February 14, 2001, 17:15   #126
MarkG

final results

Civ3: Unique (Dis/)Advantages for each Civ?
OptionVotes / Percentage
1) Yes, like in SMAC 57 / 17%
2) No, keep it like in Civ2 51 / 15%
3) Yes, but give choice for play ala civ2 40 / 11%
4) Yes, but give choice of (dis/)advantages in the start of the game 38 / 11%
5) Yes, but give both 3 and 4 148 / 44%
Total Votes: 334
Vote | View Comments
Forums Main Page

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited February 14, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited February 14, 2001).]

Old February 14, 2001, 18:39   #127
Cyclotron
King

Well, its a known fact that 85% percent of people are drunk at any given time anyway...
Old February 14, 2001, 19:55   #128
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by cyclotron7 on 02-14-2001 05:39 PM
Well, its a known fact that 85% percent of people are drunk at any given time anyway...
you should notice that 66% are "yes, BUT" answers....

Old February 14, 2001, 22:09   #129
Cyclotron
King

I should also probably notice that Firaxis is going ahead with this regardless... Oh well, let's hope for the best. The guys can't be all bad... I'm sure if they want to make this work they will.
Old February 15, 2001, 07:27   #130
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:45
The renaming idea really appeals to me. Changes of government, large scale revolts and conquering another country would be ideal opportunities. Historically minded people could play through the Chinese dynasties or seek to transform Russia into the USSR. If large scale revolts are built into the game I can see lots of players enthusiastically trying to play as England, colonise the Americas then engineer a revolt so that they can then take the side of the breakaway group.