Old March 26, 2002, 18:44   #1
Oddible
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Diplomatic Agreement: End War with ...
It would seem that there is a missing Diplomatic Agreement in CivIII. That to ask a civ to end a war with another civ. (As is evidenced in current global conditions, this isn't exactly terribly effective). I only played CTP and CivIII and do seem to recall this being an option in CTP. I can think of many scenarios where this would be something I would like to do. If I am attacking a civ because of a Mutual Protection Pact I could force a Peace Treaty with both me and my ally by making a condition of peace with me peace with my allies as well. Where did this go?

Now I'm left to completely crush an enemy to get them to sign a peace treaty with my ally first. I guess I'm looking for ways to lighten the burden of war. Frustrated...

Story:
In a two continent game, I share my continent 60/40 with the Germans. The other continent has England, India, China & Japan. India and Japan signed a MPP and began a war that due to other MPPs caused a world war with everyone else vs. them. Due to finishing off the Zulus on our continent, Germany and I couldn't get involved on the other continent at first. With 2 cities left, I dropped three transports worth of tanks and mech inf into China and saved their asses from the Japanese - forcing Japan back to their previous borders. I'm about to start giving cities back to China when lo and behold Germany and England start a war and draw in China in an MPP against Germany! Well after this huge war my resources are strapped and I'm not about to get into it with Germany but I don't want them to polish off China either. So what can I do?

If I ring China's (now 4) cities with mech inf will they attack me to get at the Germans (who will surely crush them)? Will the Germans attack me to get at the Chinese?

I want to tell the Germans to cease war with the Chinese! I'll pay them! I exhausted incredible resources to spare the Chinese and now they're about to go down to my closest ally (and most dangerous - panzers, ouch).

The only way I've ever been able to resolve this in the past would be to let Germany overrun China and just make sure I've got plenty of cities on the new continent as well (sometimes even attacking China myself to get those coveted cities with wonders). Jeesh.

War is rampant. Once a country is at war, it would seem that they are more likely to start another war with another civ if they sign Peace with the first. Crazy.
Old March 26, 2002, 18:53   #2
Tarquelne
Warlord

Local Time: 17:13
I read the title, I read the first two sentences, I think I'll stop: I strongly agree. I'd like to see a lot more development in the diplomatic system. (And Culture, and Resources.)
Old March 26, 2002, 20:35   #3
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

I *STRONGLY* agree oddible, the times I have wanted to see such an option are too many to count. This would be a fairly simple thing to program too, I would imagine.
Are you listening Firaxis?!
Old March 26, 2002, 20:47   #4
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 13:13
This is a very good idea. Another (similiar) idea that I had was to enter into MPPs against a certain civ. "If Russia attacks you, then we'll help, if anyone else attacks, you're fu*ked."

Steele
Old March 26, 2002, 21:49   #5
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:13
This would be a useful feature...it was in SMAC, and I used it a lot...
Old March 26, 2002, 23:05   #6
monkspider
King

I reccemend everyone contact the Firaxis customer request page, it takes but 2 minutes, and you can even copy/ paste my message, which I will post below if you want.
http://www.firaxis.com/contact_gamefeedback.cfm

Request to add "end war with X country" to list of diplomacy options.

Dear Firaxis,
Thanks for the greatest game I have ever owned. I have but one request, I would like to see a diplomatic option to request that a country end it's war with X country. Say, you talk to India and tell them to end their war with Egypt, possibly for a price. This would be a fairly simple thing to add in a future patch. Just add some new AI programming, a new line of text to the diplomacy screen, and voila! Please take this under serious consideration.
Thanks in advance,
Dustin Bond
Old March 27, 2002, 00:03   #7
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
I reccemend everyone contact the Firaxis customer request page, it takes but 2 minutes, and you can even copy/ paste my message, which I will post below if you want.
http://www.firaxis.com/contact_gamefeedback.cfm

Request to add "end war with X country" to list of diplomacy options.

Dear Firaxis,
Thanks for the greatest game I have ever owned. I have but one request, I would like to see a diplomatic option to request that a country end it's war with X country. Say, you talk to India and tell them to end their war with Egypt, possibly for a price. This would be a fairly simple thing to add in a future patch. Just add some new AI programming, a new line of text to the diplomacy screen, and voila! Please take this under serious consideration.
Thanks in advance,
Dustin Bond

Um....my name isn't Justin Bond.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 27, 2002, 00:04   #8
ACooper
Prince

Even I'll agree that this needs to be changed. This would be very valuable to builders and warmongers alike.
Old March 27, 2002, 12:09   #9
monkspider
King

I agree Acooper, let's hope Firaxis is listening in the same way that they paid heed to our requests for stacked movement.
Old March 27, 2002, 12:13   #10
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
I agree Acooper, let's hope Firaxis is listening in the same way that they paid heed to our requests for stacked movement.
Well, I hope it's a little better than the so-called stack movement feature.
Old March 27, 2002, 12:50   #11
Cookie Monster
King

Oh I wish they had this option in Civ3.

Loved that diplo feature in the CtP series and I believe in SMAC/X as well. That option is a good way to attempt to stop someone from beating the ^&*$ out of one of your buddies.
Old March 27, 2002, 15:38   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

yea i would like to see this feature too. in my current game, i am at war with Persia and Germany, and I am real nice to England and America.

America is on my continent (cuts me in half almost ) so i get to see most of their battles. England is wiping the floor with them. they're not taking too many cities, but they're using ships to pillage a lot of stuff.

i NEED england's navy to sustain a war with persia (persia took out babylon and now has it's own continent) and i need america for "homland security" (they're calvary roam around my land and attack Rogue Persian units

if only i could stop englands war.
Old March 27, 2002, 20:40   #13
monkspider
King

thanks for the thoughts folks, let's keep this near the top! (In fact if Mark wanted to "top" this noble topic himself I wouldn't nescarrily hold it against him. )
Old March 28, 2002, 20:11   #14
monkspider
King

We gotta let Firaxis know that this is something we want to see! Again, this shouldn't be the most difficult thing to add considering they had this feature in SMAC/X and CIV 3 is essentially running on a heavily -modified smac engine.
Firaxis is a team which treats it's fan's wishes with respect, let's let them know what we want!
Old March 29, 2002, 00:57   #15
Il Duce
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:13
These implementations need to be applied ASAP. More depth is not a bad thing.