Old March 26, 2002, 21:02   #1
Eric S
Warlord

Local Time: 14:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI fanatical about attacking formers?
I had a game that I was playing, and I had reached the point that I could have trancended at any point. The AIs were still quite aways away from that, so I decided to play cat and mouse with them. I started pumping out fully armored formers on cruiser chasis, and sending them off to auto-clear fungus (same trick with much more expensive gravships to get the fungus on the land) to see if I could clear all of the fungus from Planet before winning. Well, the AI started targeting every one of my formers, even though they'd loose without doing any real damage.

Admittedly, there weren't any softer targets out there, but I had kept the military at home for the entire game, so it's not like they felt preasured into attacking. Doesn't the AI realize when it's making a suicide attack?
Old March 27, 2002, 16:16   #2
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 23:13
Once while I was playing Lal, I forgot about one of my fringe bases (I just keep on ICS-ing ) and all that base had was a synthmetal sentinel. Now University pronounced Vendetta and sent a Chaos Needlejet and a Chaor Rover to the base. My first thought was "Oh Sh*t!" but guess what the dumb AI did? I attacked the two nearby formers.

Yes the AI can be even dumber than you'd expect at times.
Old March 28, 2002, 15:43   #3
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 22:13
I dont think my expectations could ever get that low with the AI
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old March 29, 2002, 04:25   #4
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Computer always seems to attack the closest units available, or the unit that is otherwise most vulnerable. AI is always destroying my formers and crawlers. It's an annoyance but not lethal and just gives me time to counter attack. Stupid.
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old March 31, 2002, 12:15   #5
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 16:13
*reminds self to send in armored formers with next invasion force*

It could be that the AI attacks the most dangerous unit around in terms of attack and defense power. We all know how dangerous formers can be, folks. No, seriously.
Old April 3, 2002, 23:16   #6
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 16:13
Thas why MP rules

people use all the accumulated knowledge at poly against you
Old April 4, 2002, 03:05   #7
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
people use all the accumulated knowledge at poly against you
Yes they do...wait...is that a good thing?
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis