Old March 27, 2002, 10:19   #1
GarethDaragon
Settler

Local Time: 22:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is Too Much... Sum Up!
i bought civ 3 days after christmas. spent a frantic month not sleeping and pounding my head against the wall due to flipping cities and stupid AI that liked to camp out in my territory without a pact... and finally i got bored to the point that i put the game away and went back to diablo2 (yes, yes, one of those people)... but after my millionith meph run, i finally hit the wall of blood and gore and now i'm back to the land of the civs. downloaded the new patch last night and played for about five hours having a pretty damn good time... my question is this.

now that the patch has been out for awhile and the "pros" have gotten a chance to nitpick out every little flaw that still needs to be fixed, what does everyone feel about the game now? is it better since the patch? is it worse? should i go back to my desperate quest for a lightsabre?... and just how many units do i have to camp in a city to ensure that it doesn't flip?

thanks in advance...

g ward
Old March 27, 2002, 10:42   #2
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 22:14
Re: Is Too Much... Sum Up!
Quote:
Originally posted by GarethDaragon

now that the patch has been out for awhile and the "pros" have gotten a chance to nitpick out every little flaw that still needs to be fixed, what does everyone feel about the game now? is it better since the patch?
It's different. Some things have been improved. Others havedeteriorated. All in all, I'd say it's worse because of the agressive tech trading. That, for me, is a big minus.

Quote:
should i go back to my desperate quest for a lightsabre?...
No, quest for bananas in civ III.

Quote:
and just how many units do i have to camp in a city to ensure that it doesn't flip?
A lot or one. Sometimes stationing 15 units in a city won't prevent a flip, but just one will. Or so I've heard.

Robert
Old March 27, 2002, 11:43   #3
randommushroom
Warlord

Local Time: 17:14
Overall:

Better.

Prevent flips by having strong culture.
Prevent flips by razing large cities, replace with your own settlers and population.
Yes, the game needs bananas.
Yes, the tech-trading among the AI is freaky fast.
Still a good game.
And Better.
Old March 27, 2002, 12:10   #4
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 16:14
Re: Re: Is Too Much... Sum Up!
Quote:
Originally posted by kailhun

It's different. Some things have been improved. Others havedeteriorated. All in all, I'd say it's worse because of the agressive tech trading. That, for me, is a big minus.

No, quest for bananas in civ III.

A lot or one. Sometimes stationing 15 units in a city won't prevent a flip, but just one will. Or so I've heard.

Robert

1. The tech trading is not that bad. You can always catch up by the middle ages.

2. flipping cities are best kept by keeping your culture higher than the other civs. It's not really that hard to combat. Build culture improvements whenever you can and keep at least 1 more unit in the cities you have captured until most of the citizens in the city are your Civ's.
Old March 27, 2002, 13:47   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 15:14
Re: Is Too Much... Sum Up!
Quote:
Originally posted by GarethDaragon
... and just how many units do i have to camp in a city to ensure that it doesn't flip?
In one of his Q&A sessions, Soren mentioned that roughly 2 defenders for each citizen would probably prevent a flip.
Old March 27, 2002, 14:09   #6
dikwhit
Settler

Local Time: 16:14
yes im one of those people too..... (i got legit lightsabres on useast hc )and a civhead.... the patch helped but to put it in d2 terms.... they need a lot more runewords turned on
Old March 27, 2002, 16:04   #7
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 14:14
Diablization
I'm Sometimes One of Those People

Is it possible to play Civ3 & have Diablo2 (even offline) running in the background (and vice-versa)? Alt-Tabbing between the 2 so waiting for the Civ3 AI to move while I'm crafting, gambling, or doing a short stroll sounds nice.