Old February 15, 2001, 18:20   #1
The Big W
Settler

Local Time: 19:46
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Questions from a newbie
Hi! I'm new to this forum. I've played and loved SMAC, and I have a few questions for anyone with the patience to answer them (probably for the 100th time this week):
1) Is Brian Reynolds involved in Civ3 like he was with SMAC?
2) I know that the official answer for Civ3's release date is "when it's finished," but are there any timeline expectations at all, such as: is it expected to come out sometime next year? sometime this year? within the next 6 months? etc...
Thanks!
Old February 15, 2001, 18:37   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by The Big W on 02-15-2001 05:20 PM
1) Is Brian Reynolds involved in Civ3 like he was with SMAC?

Nope! Sid Meier is however!

quote:

2) I know that the official answer for Civ3's release date is "when it's finished," but are there any timeline expectations at all, such as: is it expected to come out sometime next year? sometime this year? within the next 6 months? etc...
Thanks!

Well, some optimists predicts summer/early autumn this year, but perhaps a christmas-, or early spring-02 release is more realistic. We really dont know yet.
Old February 15, 2001, 18:39   #3
Roman
King

Local Time: 00:46
Hello Big W and welcome to Apolyton.

As to your question about Brian Reynolds, he left Firaxis to create a company "Big Huge Games". I think, however, that he participated in the initial stages of Civ3 development, so you might be seeing some of his ideas in the game. At Big Huge Games he is working on a RTS with an elements of TBS in it, but not much is known about this game yet.
Many other Civ designers (including Sid Meier), though, are working on Civ3.

Nobody has any real idea when Civ3 will come out, but most rumours suggest third Quater this year. Some rumours, however, point to early 2002.
Old February 15, 2001, 19:50   #4
joseph1944

Computer Gaming World pipeline section list Aug. 2001 as release date. However that can be changed.

------------------

Old February 15, 2001, 21:37   #5
wittlich

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 02-15-2001 05:37 PM
Well, some optimists predicts summer/early autumn this year, but perhaps a christmas-, or early spring-02 release is more realistic. We really dont know yet.

Hi and welcome Big W ... I'm one of those optimists who is placing his bet on around an August 2001 release date ... but of course, this is only through the "grape-vine"

Old February 15, 2001, 21:37   #6
The Big W
Settler

Local Time: 19:46
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Thanks for your responses. With Sid Meier's involvement, I'm sure Civ3 will be as brilliantly complex and fascinating as SMAC. I definitely can't wait!
Old February 16, 2001, 03:05   #7
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:46
Wellcome Big W,

1. It's true that Brian Reynolds left Firaxis, but maybe this is not so bad, because :
a) he admited that he is more fascinated now by RTS than TBS (how could he truly dedicate himself to Civ3 when he enjoy more AoK ?)
b) Sid Meier is more involved now in Civ3's development

2. Earlier estimates indicated mid 2002, but with the recent news about Firaxis stoping the Dino project, my guess is we will see Civ3 sometimes this year (maybe in time for the winter holidays shopping).
Old February 16, 2001, 04:27   #8
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 01:46
Welcome to The Big W

All I will say to Firaxis is .. give SID as much time as he feels fit to do all the stuff wanted. If anything has been learned from the Activision farse .. its you just can't rush these things. I would prefer a top quality Feb02 release, to a average quality+many patches Aug01 release ..

Lets face it, Ive got Civ2,TOT & SMAC to keep me company until then .. What more do I need ?? CIV3

------------------
"Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon
[This message has been edited by The Viceroy (edited February 16, 2001).]
Old February 16, 2001, 17:52   #9
JosefGiven
Warlord

Local Time: 00:46
quote:

Originally posted by The Viceroy on 02-16-2001 03:27 AM
...I would prefer a top quality Feb02 release, to a average quality+many patches Aug01 release...

Yep, same here. Even if the wait kills us!!

[This message has been edited by JosefGiven (edited February 16, 2001).]