Wuzzat? 5 5.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 28, 2002, 09:40   #1
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Local Time: 14:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is Civ III good?
Seeing all the "Civ 3 sucks" and "Civ 3 rules" I decided to post a poll on that.
Old March 28, 2002, 09:49   #2
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 23:17
You spelt "rulez" wrong
Old March 28, 2002, 10:12   #3
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 17:17
First off you need a banana.

Civ3 keeps me happy. I go between games of course. I'm right not in my Total Annihilation mode
Old March 28, 2002, 10:16   #4
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

NO! CIV3 is evil! I keep trying to play it while hoping it will be better after each mod I add.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old March 28, 2002, 10:27   #5
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 16:17
The voices in my head tell me it's evil.

Those guys at Firaxis have coded mind control software that makes you want to line dance and sing "Achy Breaky Heart". And then you are made to forget all about.

Those Firaxians are straight from the bowels of hell!!! The world is coming to an end!!!! Billy Ray Cyrus is sing to me again!!!! Help me PLEASE!!!!!

(BTW, I voted for #1 because that demon Dan from Firaxis has possessed me and now I have no free will.)
Old March 28, 2002, 10:31   #6
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
The voices in my head tell me it's evil.

Those guys at Firaxis have coded mind control software that makes you want to line dance and sing "Achy Breaky Heart". And then you are made to forget all about.

Those Firaxians are straight from the bowels of hell!!! The world is coming to an end!!!! Billy Ray Cyrus is sing to me again!!!! Help me PLEASE!!!!!

(BTW, I voted for #1 because that demon Dan from Firaxis has possessed me and now I have no free will.)
I thought the Firaxis people were "Ghost Riders In The Sky?"

Besides, if you consider that Firaxis went throught this: : every day, it would be hard to program too.
Old March 28, 2002, 12:42   #7
dubwai
Settler

It seems to me that all the people complaining about how Civ III doesn't live up to their expectations are going though the pangs of early adoption. Yeah, the game's been out for a few months but the Civ team is still tweaking it.

If you've ever worked on even a medium sized software project (I mean something people actually use, not a school assignment) you'd know that trying to throw in every idea available is not only unworkable but irresponsible. Real development projects require that you make sure the basic functionality is bullet-proof before adding the sprinkles and icing.

I could complain, "why can't my car fly, if I was going to design a car I would make sure it had wings." That's essentially how a lot of the complaints read on this forum.

Sure there are some problems with the game right now but I feel that by the time an expansion pack is released it's going to be really solid. Sid Meier has more experience making unbelieveable, intellegent games than anyone I know of, who are we to question his team?
Old March 28, 2002, 13:55   #8
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dubwai
Sid Meier has more experience making unbelieveable, intellegent games than anyone I know of, who are we to question his team?
Just the folks who buy the games!
Old March 28, 2002, 14:41   #9
dubwai
Settler

No one forced you to buy it. You bought it, if you don't like it that's your problem.
Old March 28, 2002, 15:01   #10
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
No one forced you to buy it. You bought it, if you don't like it that's your problem.
Quote:
who are we to question his team?

You asked the question, I just answered it!

It's my problem now, but if other consumers also decide it's their problem its likely to also become a problem for those you obviously idolize!
Old March 28, 2002, 15:15   #11
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 22:17
I voted its a extraordinary game.

First of all, I just got done at Microsoft uploading Critical Updates.
Second of all, because I have a half-arse OS - half Windows98SE and some part of Windows2000 -- because of IE5.5+ Critcal Updates.

Third, CivIII included the bink file for Windows2000, the one I have to use to even get the game to start - because of Microsoft Critical Updates.

Fourth, because CivIII even works somewhat, after Microsoft and Critical Updates.

Fifth, because the drivers for my ATI card do not work with the game, I bought a GeForce 2 MX 400 type PCI graphics card, the drivers do not corrupt my gdi32.dll and another file mspn32.dll or something like that.

Sixth, even though I have to restart my computer after playing the game every time its played - there are still less updates from Firaxis than Microsoft.

Seventh, if I ever have an OS from Microsoft that works, I might as well use Windows 95, games seem to work with that OS - Microsoft quit updating that OS.

Eighth, - because its part of the real civilization every one faces in this World.

Ninth, I'll think of something, like killing the computer players - afterall its only a game.

Tenth, because CIV III is only a game, but reflects about the real world (Gee - do some of your game work with Windows XP, whatever it is - oh, yes, do not forget the Critical Updates needed for Windows XP - you may just get an OS from Microsoft - one of these days - in the future - about as long as it takes to get through a game of CIVIII - not really - the game is still better than all of that up above.

Now excuse me, I think it must be time for another Critical Update from Microsoft - I may even get time to play CivIII someday.

Good Day to ya, all!
Old March 28, 2002, 15:21   #12
SpencerH
Emperor

Did you ever think of not installing their "critical updates"

My win98se and IE6.0 with no "critical updates" work just fine. I did have a "touch" of problems with the IE5.5 critical updates that only caused me to format my hard drives and start from scratch .
Old March 28, 2002, 15:21   #13
ACooper
Prince

Raion - but sadly true
Old March 28, 2002, 15:24   #14
Subway's Jared
Settler

Local Time: 22:17
Well, I think it's a great game. Let me tell you why.

It crashes for nothing, corrupts my saves, wait time between turns on huge maps are just unbeleivable and the AI self destructs it's self, is annoyed with you for nothing, never has money to trade with you.......But still, I keep playin cuz I like it. So you can guess that I chose option #2.
Even with it's flaws, civ3 is a great game.
Old March 28, 2002, 15:35   #15
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

IT'S A DISGRACE!!!

I hardly ever play it anymore.

The first 15 minutes of playing the game did NOT capture my attention.

I have never completed a single game of Civ3. I always lose interest halfway through.

Civ3 is more like a patch upgrade for Civ2 that just gives some better graphics and not that much new in the way of gameplay. It does not seem like a full upgrade to me.

Right now I'm not all that interested in playing Civ3. I'm more interested in taking a closer look at the game and finding ways that it could be improved.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old March 28, 2002, 15:45   #16
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloud9
Civ3 is more like a patch upgrade for Civ2 that just gives some better graphics and not that much new in the way of gameplay. It does not seem like a full upgrade to me.
What about culture, golden ages, resources (trade is much much better), etc?? Plus, as many many people have said, there are just about as many changes as there were from civ1 to civ2, so why are people only complaining now? It was definitely rushed to the shelves too quickly, but, despite that, it is still an extraordinary game.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old March 28, 2002, 15:48   #17
dubwai
Settler

Quote:
You asked the question, I just answered it!
Quote:
It's my problem now, but if other consumers also decide it's their problem its likely to also become a problem for those you obviously idolize!
You totally missed the point. It's really easy to sit back and criticize others, but if you've never been involved with designing, implementing, and delivering commercial software, your opinion of this game's quality means very little to me. The 'bugs' most people are reporting on this site have more to do with their personal preferences than actual errors.

Civ III almost never crashes, it hasn't crashed once since I installed 1.17, and I suspect Windows ME in most of the provious cases. Worthless OS can't even keep the explorer up.

The Civ III team picked the scope for this game and went with it. If you don't like their choice, make your own game. I'm just sick of seeing posts about how Civ III sucks because it doesn't make breakfast in the morning or walk the dog in the evening.

I don't think the game is perfect by any means. I have my own desires for changes and enhancements. As a software engineer, I realize that you can't include every user's wishlist in your design. It's impossible, the product would never be finished. This is true for a small user group. I can't even imagine how many great ideas have to be queued or tossed when you have a user group the size of Civ III's.
Old March 28, 2002, 15:58   #18
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000

What about culture, golden ages, resources (trade is much much better), etc?? Plus, as many many people have said, there are just about as many changes as there were from civ1 to civ2, so why are people only complaining now?
Maybe so, but these days higher standards are expected than were yesterday.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old March 28, 2002, 16:09   #19
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Higher standards, yes. That's why we expct there to be changes. BUt that doesn't mean we should expect a larger quantity of changes.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old March 28, 2002, 16:12   #20
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Quote:
In my country there's a saying: 'the customer is king', meaning that the opinions and feedback of costumers are ALWAYS important.

About your (il)logical reasoning:

No one forces me to buy a chicken, but I do buy one.
After eating it I get as sick as hell because of the inferior quality of the meat. So that would be my problem I suppose?

Glad you're not running my country!

AJ
Old March 28, 2002, 16:17   #21
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

By the way, I would have voted
'It could become extraordinary if Firaxis would focus on improving it'.

Although it needs to be patched asap, I'm having fun playing.
As a matter of fact, since I've bought it (first day when available on Belgian market) I haven't played other games yet, so yes ,

it's rather very good!

(but patch it!)

AJ
Old March 28, 2002, 16:23   #22
ACooper
Prince

AJ - you sould know that they are working on it and you sould be FAIR about it.
Old March 28, 2002, 16:27   #23
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

test link
Old March 28, 2002, 16:34   #24
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

I do know ACooper, and I'm very pleased with that.

After I've read about the next patch being prepared, I've stopped criticizing. However, that doesn't mean that Firaxis/Infogrames still have a job to do.

For example: every week new posters ask about a world map with correct starting locations. (yes I know, there are some around)

Mike is working on it, I've read +/- 6 weeks (or has it been longer) ago.

Does this easy feature
-that really should have been there from the release !!! --> imagine including a world map without correct starting locations, which they actually DID !! -
really take that long to release?????

I've just expected them to try just a litlle bit harder (faster!).

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the game quite greatly!

Fair enough?

AJ
Old March 28, 2002, 16:57   #25
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 18:17
Dunk like Civ III.

The game is fun and captivating.

Sure, there are some things I would like to see different, but the game is more fun than 5 barrels of monkeys on a hot afternoon.

I hope the expansion pack has three things...

1) The ability to add tons of civs without replacing current ones.

2) The ability to add new buildings and units through the editor.

3) A scenario builder... with the capabilities of the cheat menu in Civ II.
Old March 28, 2002, 17:29   #26
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I would vote for it's great, but if not rushed is would be extraodinary.

So, if I have to chose I would get 1 option.
Old March 28, 2002, 18:15   #27
civman2000
Emperor

IGNORE IMMORTAL WOMBAT'S LINK DO NOT CLICK ON IT!!!!!!

Old March 28, 2002, 18:19   #28
Ethelred
King

Why is it that every poll needs a patch?

I want polls with GOOD choices. Instead of

YES THE BEST THING ON EARTH EVEN BETTER THAN WHATEVER.

note the lack of anything like really good, good, in need of much improvement, not worth improving anyway or even fails to entertain at all.

IT SUCKS BUT COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT IF THEY DIDN'T TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN

somehow average snuck in though.

even mediocre is missing.

IT JUST PLAINS SUCKS MONKEY *CENSORED BY BOTS*

ITS WORSE THAN THE ANY OF THE ABOVE.

IT MAKES BATTLE CRUISER MILLENIUM 2000 LOOK LIKE A FINISHED GAME

almost all the polls insist on sabagotaging themselves with questionable choices.

And some have banannas and some don't. What is the world coming to. I don't care about bananas myself but its seems a popular choice on the polls that have it.

Pollsters should think of the Bananna as undecided due to brain damage if they can't otherwise justify putting it amongst the choices.

I voted for the first option but thats too high and the next one down is way too low.

Its realy good but not extraordinary except as a creator of sleep deprivation at which it excels. Could use some more refinement but I like it allready.
Old March 28, 2002, 18:25   #29
Ethelred
King

Immortal Horses Posterior botched his treachery. It dosn't work.

At least if you have voted allready anyway.

You really should have said what his nefarious plan was.

ImMORAL WompRAT is trying to fix the poll.
Old March 28, 2002, 19:12   #30
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:17
Quote:
The people I've talked to who bought Civ III were expecting a great game, a real improvement over Civ II. Their expectations were not met. Yes, it is now their problem that they have a game that they are happy with, for they could have better spent their money on pizza and beer but must somehow glean calories from alternate sources until their cash flow is back up. It is not, however, their fault that they now have a game that they are not happy with, which I hope you were not trying to imply. Furthermore, their problem is now also Firaxis's problem, for by releasing a substandard game Firaxis has lost many future customers.