Old March 28, 2002, 19:26   #1
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 22:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What IS that thing?
Can someone please tell me what the thing is in the upper left hand corner of the Info Box. It looks like a bulb or a fancy cake of soap. It lights up when you put the cursor on it. I did, and, when I clicked, all my guys went into lightning action. So fast I couldn't tell what was happening. I recognised that some of them were carrying out orders to go places I had already commanded. But I couldn't tell what else was going on.

Anyone got an explanation? It's not in the manual, as far as I can see.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 28, 2002, 19:31   #2
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 17:18
If you click on it or in the box, you will end the current turn.
Old March 28, 2002, 20:14   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:18
I've found that to be annoying at times - I go to hit any of the small square buttons, and if I miss a little to the right it ends my turn.
Old March 28, 2002, 21:48   #4
bigvic
Prince

Re: What IS that thing?
Quote:
Originally posted by MyOlde
It looks like a bulb or a fancy cake of soap.
I guess we've solved that mystery. Cake of soap? It reminds me more of a mood ring stone.

i like ibble blibble
Old March 28, 2002, 22:05   #5
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 14:18
Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
I've found that to be annoying at times - I go to hit any of the small square buttons, and if I miss a little to the right it ends my turn.
It's good to know I'm not the only one who does that. I laugh & don't reload since I figure the AI makes enough mistakes... it deserves for me to make some too.
Old March 28, 2002, 22:16   #6
bigvic
Prince

It also kind of looks like one of the buttons on my cell phone.

i like ibble blibble
Old March 29, 2002, 07:21   #7
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 08:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
Instead of running the risk of accidentally hitting the fancy 'mood-ring jewel' end turn button by trying to click those small buttons (I don't usually use those though), you should try and learn the shortcut keys (if there are any for those commands. I admit that I'm not completely schooled in the concept of Civ III shortcut keys).

Rest assured though, that there are plenty annoyed by this thing. Especially early game when turns take up 50 years of game time. Not as much of a problem in the late game when only one year of game time is used up.

Maybe Firaxis should add the option to disable this button and leave the End Turn command to a key combo (one key would only make make it easier to screw up in this way), or at least use a key people hardly ever reach on the keyboard.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old March 29, 2002, 07:48   #8
MyOlde
Prince

It occurs to me that it's there if you can't be bothered waiting for the AI to finish their turn -- especially in the mid-to-late game when they've got a zillion little guys galloping and running about for no good reason?

So: you'd play through your turn and then when they take over, hit the jujube?
Old March 29, 2002, 11:01   #9
Purple
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by LordAzreal

Maybe Firaxis should add the option to disable this button and leave the End Turn command to a key combo (one key would only make make it easier to screw up in this way), or at least use a key people hardly ever reach on the keyboard.
The keyboard command for immediately ending the turn is shift-enter.
Old March 29, 2002, 17:48   #10
Raion
Prince

Pages 196-199 have keyboard commands.

RTM
Old March 29, 2002, 21:47   #11
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 16:18
Yeah, but who can find a manual in this mess? I would have to clean my computer room or something, and that is somekind of sin, at least that is what I tell my wife anyway.