Old March 28, 2002, 20:25   #1
hitchikingalaxy
Settler

Local Time: 18:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
what is up with the tech tree?
every time i alter the scenario using the civiii editor, i can no longer manipulate the tech tree. to say that this is agravating would be a severe understatement. not being able to manipulate the tech tree instantly means you will lose the game. i can not control any of the research, and i don't know how to fix this!

if anybody knows how to fix this AND how to make it so that civilizations are culture linked please tell me.
Old March 28, 2002, 20:34   #2
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 13:18
What do you mean by "manipulate the tech tree?" Do you mean change your research goals? Do that from the Science Advisor. If you mean anything else, I have no idea.

Steele
Old March 28, 2002, 20:50   #3
hitchikingalaxy
Settler

i mean be able to go to the science advisor and choose the path that i want to research. the game will not allow me to do this and it severely hurts what the way i play. i usually research bronze and then go straight to iron and woup some serious uhh.... donkey.
not being able to bring my immortals to life severely cramps my style.
Old March 28, 2002, 21:18   #4
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 17:18
Just left click on the tech you want to go for. Just remember that when the science advisor pops up, just go ahead for what tech it suggest, it will get you to the tech you want.

If that's not working, then you're either doing somthing very wrong, you edited the techs, or there's a bug in the game and you'll need to reinstall.
Old March 28, 2002, 21:29   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:18
I myself have experienced no problems with the tech tree research.

Did you by any chance change anything in the tech tree when you used the Editor?

EDIT: On a side note, Rejoice! I've been crowned "King" of my own domain! Gawd! I thought I would be a "Prince" forever. I guess I could have made this edit another post, but then that would have just been plain ing.

Last edited by Wittlich; March 28, 2002 at 21:35.
Old March 28, 2002, 23:02   #6
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
I myself have experienced no problems with the tech tree research.

Did you by any chance change anything in the tech tree when you used the Editor?

EDIT: On a side note, Rejoice! I've been crowned "King" of my own domain! Gawd! I thought I would be a "Prince" forever. I guess I could have made this edit another post, but then that would have just been plain ing.
Some people consider what ever I post is spam, since I don't really add much info to civ3 (I only started one thread about using stack command to edit your armies).

I guess I just love to opine, that, and working on getting my custom avatar option.
Old March 29, 2002, 00:56   #7
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

what is up with the tech tree?
A skunk maybe. Not sure. Something smelly up there. We need to connect to an incense resource.
Old March 29, 2002, 01:20   #8
hitchikingalaxy
Settler

no, i did not touch anything in the editor that had to do with the tech tree, and yes i know that you left click on the advisor screen. i just am not allowed to manipulate it. this is severely aggravating to me. i am already disillusioned with this game and this is just one more log on a bonfire

so i just want this game to work, is that way too much to ask?
Old March 29, 2002, 02:55   #9
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 14:18
Quote:
Originally posted by hitchikingalaxy
no, i did not touch anything in the editor that had to do with the tech tree, and yes i know that you left click on the advisor screen. i just am not allowed to manipulate it. this is severely aggravating to me. i am already disillusioned with this game and this is just one more log on a bonfire

so i just want this game to work, is that way too much to ask?
Yes. Then again you seem to be the first with this problem except for people that have made strange changes in the editor.

So how about you make things more clear.

You mentioned the editor. Just what did you do?

What patch if any are you using? What level are playing on and what Civ. Don't make us guess at everything.

WE WANT INFORMATION.

Operating system
Mother board
CPU
Memmory
Video card
Sound Card
Bizzare mods and are you abusing it by overclocking.

Do you have a MAC. Are you trying to make it workwith emulation software on some arcane OS known to but a few.

If all else fails zip up a save and post it. So that others may look and then point and laugh. Or not point and laugh if no one can figure it out.
Old March 29, 2002, 03:17   #10
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 22:18
The only thing I have seen since day 0 of CivIII is that if the editor was used and the Civ3mod.bic file changed that one could not pick a tech two or three away. One had to pick each tech next to research, and one could not pick Literature, when other techs below it still had to be research. One at a time in the tech tree, been that way since day 0, and that was reported in a review of the game at gamespot when it first came out.

Inconvenient but not the end of the game, just an inconvenience.
Just the way the game worked.
Old March 29, 2002, 04:34   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:18
What version are you playing?

The tech tree is busted in the original (1.07f) in some circumstances.

Also, your install may be corrupted.

BTW. The Culturally Linked Starting Locations option can be found in the Preferences section of the Main Civ3 Screen (where you load or start a game).