Old March 29, 2002, 03:54   #1
TechWins
King

Local Time: 15:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Game Recommendations
Well, since I have an excess flow of cash (a teen w/ a job and no payment responsiblities leads to that) I'm going to be buying a new computer here soon, so I can actually play PC games. My system specs for my computer are horrible for wanting to play PC games, IMO. 500 mhz processor, 32 mb ram, 4 gb hd, 4 mb video card but luckily I have made a few improvements to it: 500 mhz processor, 384 mb ram, 40 gb hd, 4 mb video card. Since I have such a slow PC I haven't been able to play many games (as well as the lack of money previously ). A list of the games I have actually played on PC:

Sim City 3000 - while others seem to be down on the game I actually liked the game, and I played the two previous versions on SNES

Civ2 -

AoE 2: The Age of Conquerors - I didn't really like this game all that much. It seemed as if I was doing the samething over and over again with just slightly different results.

The Sims - I enjoyed this game for about the first week or two then I quickly tired of repeating the process over and over again. At first the neat little things of seeing my people eating, talking, etc... seemed pretty cool, but those can only be neat for so long.

SMAC - I liked this game but I'm not big into the whole space/fantasy scene

Europa Universalis - This was a good game, and I enjoyed playing it.

Civ3 - It took me about a week to finally getting this game to work on my computer. Then after 6+ months of great anticipation of playing the game and a week of frustration with trying to play the game I was expecting to play one hell of a game, but instead I got Civ3. I played my frist game, and I liked it. Then on my second game I started to dislike the game because I couldn't stand the excessive AI expansion. Eventually I started to use a few mods (various graphics and the Blitz mod), and the game got better. The sad thing is, though, that Civ3 looks embarrasingly terrible compared to the version of Civ3 I'm playing - Civ3: The Fan's Edition. However, my hope still hasn't faded.

Caesar III - I just bought this game a few days ago, and I think it's a great game. I've heard people say that this game is good, and it was on sale for $10, so I had nothing to lose ($10 doesn't mean all that much to me).

Since I'm playing Caesar III right now I'm not going to buy a game right now anyways, but it doesn't matter because most games won't work with my PC. Once I buy my PC in a few weeks, though, I will be able to buy any game I want. I know that a few big name games are coming out soon, and I've been reading over a few of them. My 3 favorite genres would have to be Strategy, Simulation, and of course Sports (can't forget all the years of playing Madden - about 10 years straight I believe). Here are some of the games that I'm interested in buying soon:

Max Payne - Soley on that I've heard it's a great game

Superpower2010 (IIRC that's the name of it) - If the reviews are good then this game will be a must buy for me

Heroes of Might and Magic IV - something must be good about this game if it's going into it's 4th version

Master of Orion 3 - again, I'm not big on the space/fantasy stuff but this still sounds like it's going to be a fantastic game. However, I'm about skeptical about the game for various reasons.

Sim Golf - I like sim games and playing golf can be fun, so it seems like a match. Plus it seems to be a popular game right now.

Europa Universalis 2 - The only problem here is that I can't find it on stores shelves anymore lol.

I'm sure there are a few others that I can't think of right now, though.

So from all of what I've said what games from past and present do you recommend and why? Thanks ahead of time for all of your suggestions (that's if there are actually any ).
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old March 29, 2002, 05:58   #2
Mark_Everson

Local Time: 18:19
Re: Game Recommendations
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Europa Universalis 2 - The only problem here is that I can't find it on stores shelves anymore lol.
Hi TechWins:

I just got EU2 at Amazon a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure they have it still. Can't say I recommend it thought. I've had a hard time getting into it. Thought that's only based on about 2 hours of tutorials and 5 hours of play. Best 'o' Luck!
Old March 29, 2002, 11:23   #3
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 22:19
Something's wrong if you can list every game you've played!

Quote:
Max Payne - Soley on that I've heard it's a great game
Get a new graphics card first - a geforce 2 or better. Don't expect any replay value from this one.

Quote:
Heroes of Might and Magic IV - something must be good about this game if it's going into it's 4th version
I've played them all, and I'd recomend just geting the second in the series. And you might need a bettter graphics card for the fourth.

Quote:
Master of Orion 3 - again, I'm not big on the space/fantasy stuff but this still sounds like it's going to be a fantastic game. However, I'm about skeptical about the game for various reasons.
I'm waiting for this one too, but again, you might need a better graphics card.

Quote:
Sim Golf - I like sim games and playing golf can be fun, so it seems like a match. Plus it seems to be a popular game right now.
If you are into sim games, it's a good choice.

Quote:
Well, look harder, 'cause it's a great game!

I don't know if you like RPGs, but if you are interested in them, give the Baldur's Gate series a go, or the upcoming Never Winter Nights and Morrowind games. Or, if you are into the more hack'n'slash kind of RPGs, Diablo, Icewind Dale, or Dungeon Siege would be good choices.

Strategy, if you are interested in tactical level combat there are some great classics such as X-Com, I'd also recomend the more recent Jagged Allegiance 2, or Commandos 2. If you are looking for a grand strategy game EU2 or Space Empires IV (gold) are probably the best, there are some others like the Heroe's of might and magic series, and Age of Wonders(which has a sequel coming soon, I think) but I'd describe them as being more "beer and pretzel" And, there are some great classics like colonization, or Masters of Magic, and Master of Orion (1 & 2).

I'm not big on simulation games, but (as you have probably read in this forum) sim city 4 is due out soon. And Tropico is a fun, but somewhat limited, sim-type of game.

First Person "shooters", I'd recomend Deus Ex, and thief 2 (there are sequels to both in the works) which are actually described as "first person sneekers" those games are more about stealth and strategy then a typical FPS game, for a real shooter though Half-Life is a good choice, it has a great single player game and lots of great mods for multiplayer.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 29, 2002, 11:49   #4
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'll second Thief II and Deus Ex. I haven't played Thief II but I absolutely loved Thief (I'm trying to find Thief II at the moment), and Deus Ex was also fantastic (although much less of a "first-person-sneaker" than Thief was; I was pretty damn near invincible near the end of Deus Ex, while at the end of Thief a strong breeze could still knock me over).
Old March 29, 2002, 11:52   #5
tishco
Prince

i am waiting for moo3 as well, 3rd quarter now.

better not be another civ 3, including the fact i dont want to wait a month for it to come while americans insult it or hype it

moo3 doesnt need a 3d card, the only 3d it has is space combat and that is voxels, altho a better 2d card perhaps?

rollercoaster tycoon is a great game, i am replaying now and still not bored!
formerlyanon@hotmail.com
Old March 29, 2002, 12:44   #6
chronocrator
Warlord

Local Time: 23:19
Re: Re: Game Recommendations
concerning HoMM IV:
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I've played them all, and I'd recomend just geting the second in the series. And you might need a bettter graphics card for the fourth.
The game just came out yesterday (in the US) so I don't really think that you've played it. Part 4 of the Heroes of Might and Magic series seems to be much more promising than HoMM3 or 2 (I've played both.)

Here's the only review I've found so far:
http://www.ugo.com/channels/games/features/homm4/

And since it doesn't have 3d graphics I don't believe that any special graphics card is required.
Old March 29, 2002, 13:06   #7
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Game Recommendations
Quote:
Originally posted by chronocrator
concerning HoMM IV:

The game just came out yesterday (in the US) so I don't really think that you've played it. Part 4 of the Heroes of Might and Magic series seems to be much more promising than HoMM3 or 2 (I've played both.)

Here's the only review I've found so far:
http://www.ugo.com/channels/games/features/homm4/

And since it doesn't have 3d graphics I don't believe that any special graphics card is required.

I just got it, granted I have played it much but it seems pretty crappy to me. The new engine uses "two dimensional 3D graphics" it uses 3 dimensional graphics but doesn't allow you to pan or zoom, this way you get to enjoy the benefits of simplistic and "rolly" 3d graphics, a limited view, and high system requirements. I get chopy scroll rates with a P3 500, and Geforce 2 MX . I would of been happier if they used the graphics from HoMM2 - it still has the best out of them all. Hell, even the town graphics are worse off in the fourth.

Since I haven't played it much I can't say alot about the gameplay, but one thing that has really stood out is that you no longer have the option of seeing the map grid and movement radius in combat.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 29, 2002, 22:13   #8
August Borms
Prince

Max Payne is +- 6 hours of fun

I wouldn't buy it

Superpower, seemed like a nice idea,demo turned out to be pretty awful (there's a second demo oming though)

If you're into multiplayer FPS/3PS

You could get Rune for a rather cheap price ( fun hack and slash )

And Medal of Honor multiplayer is pretty good too
Old March 29, 2002, 23:15   #9
Sharpe
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Actually Assur, Gamespot posted a review for Superpower - they gave it a 4.2/10 (poor) rating. Doesn't sound good.

TechWins, if you like Caesar III, you also might like its successors: the Pharaoh series and/or the Zeus series, although the combat isn't as good.

Europa Universalis 2 is very good - improvement on EU1, and its price is falling quickly.

If you like a strategy & simulation game you might like Tropico (and it is becoming cheap too).

Your specs for your computer aren't that bad. I am surviving with a 266mhz, 160megs ram and a 10 GB hard drive (can't fit all of my games on it though - grrr!).
Old March 30, 2002, 07:02   #10
chronocrator
Warlord

Re: Re: Re: Re: Game Recommendations
Quote:
I just got it, granted I have played it much but it seems pretty crappy to me.
I thought you confused it with another game, sorry.

Quote:
The new engine uses "two dimensional 3D graphics" it uses 3 dimensional graphics but doesn't allow you to pan or zoom, this way you get to enjoy the benefits of simplistic and "rolly" 3d graphics, a limited view, and high system requirements. I get chopy scroll rates with a P3 500, and Geforce 2 MX .
It uses 3d graphics? Everywhere in the game or just during battles?
BTW the first 3d RTS games usually let the player have too many and complicated zoom and rotate options, so that adjusting the view was sometimes harder than the rest of the game. Now many games won't let the player do almost anything (good example: EE).

Quote:
Since I haven't played it much I can't say alot about the gameplay, but one thing that has really stood out is that you no longer have the option of seeing the map grid and movement radius in combat.
I've heard that, too. Especially with the new isometrical view it seems confusing, I hope they'll patch it.
Old March 30, 2002, 08:05   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 06:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
techwins,

I think what you need is a better graphics card. Other parts seem fine now.

One game I recommend is UFO: Enemy Unknown. I don't know if it works on Windows, but it is a great game.

BTW, Caesar 3 is lousy.
Old March 30, 2002, 09:22   #12
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:

Caesar III - I just bought this game a few days ago, and I think it's a great game. I've heard people say that this game is good, and it was on sale for $10, so I had nothing to lose ($10 doesn't mean all that much to me).
if you like Caesar III you might want to check out Zeus: Master of Olympus. it's very similar to Caesar, but just generally better in every way IMHO.

Quote:
there is a lot good about. If the 4th version won't run on your PC then i also recommend the third in the series, but the latest one is more than just a graphical refit.
there are a few problems i have with HoMM4, though. as someone has already mentioned, the lack of a movement radius in the battle screens is really quite annoying. many are the times i've needlessly lost units because i thought i was out of their movement range.
the best thing about this series is the map editor, it is a far more comprehanesive one than most games have and allows you (with a little patience) to fully design your own campaigns from the ground up, including triggerable story events and the development of characters across scenarios.
the pseudo-3D graphics are prettier than the previous versions, but i really generally dislike isometric viewpoints in games. either make it fully 3d, with a rotatable map and everything, or just go for the good old-fashioned 2d approach.
also, the way the heroes and their horses move looks a bit silly. i can forgive the game for this, though, because they always remind me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail - all that's missing is the sound of coconuts. (if you don't know what i'm talking about, then you really should watch the film - you won't regret it )
Old March 30, 2002, 20:41   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
One game I recommend is UFO: Enemy Unknown. I don't know if it works on Windows, but it is a great game.
It works, but its ... difficult ... to use.
When scrolling around the screen (in the battle-scape), it is really difficult to move the screen to where you want to look, as it moves from one end of the battle-scape to the other quickly, even on the slowest scroll setting.
But it is fun to play!

I would recommend XCom Apocalypse as well, works well on a win9x environment.

From the other XCom games, I would ignore Terror from the Deep - its basically a buggier version of UFO. I would not get any other XCom "sequals" either - they are completely different genres.

I have played Deus Ex, Thief I and II, and would definately recommend these games. If you can get them, GET THEM!!

For a free online multiplayer RPG, you should also try Dransik.

EDIT: Fixed quote tags

Last edited by Skanky Burns; April 5, 2002 at 05:46.
Old March 30, 2002, 22:45   #14
TechWins
King

Well, thanks for all of your suggestions.

I've been wanting to upgrade my computer for a while now, so more than likely I'm still going to. Another reason why is because I need a new video card (the main problem with my current computer), and I have no way of doing that. My motherboard has on-board video, and doesn't have any AGP slots. Now I could get a PCI video card, but I'm not going to do that for two reasons 1) I don't have any open PCI slots on my motherboard and 2) I don't want to spend a lot of money on a PCI video card when AGP are much better.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old March 31, 2002, 00:10   #15
Urban Ranger
Deity

What kind of a mobo you have that don't have an AGP slot? IIRC Pentiums don't go up to 500 MHz, yours has to be at least a P2. I can't think of any P2 mobos that doesn't have AGP slots.
Old March 31, 2002, 00:54   #16
TechWins
King

I never said I have a pentium....hint hint think of a lower model of the Intel processor chain.
Old March 31, 2002, 05:38   #17
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 00:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
What kind of a mobo you have that don't have an AGP slot? IIRC Pentiums don't go up to 500 MHz, yours has to be at least a P2. I can't think of any P2 mobos that doesn't have AGP slots.
some of them have a built-in AGP video card, so there is no extra slot.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old March 31, 2002, 07:47   #18
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

TechWins,
Have you considered Call to Power II? You should be able to pick it up really cheap now, it doesn't require you to upgrade your PC and, with some mods installed, it's a great game.
Old March 31, 2002, 11:43   #19
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy
some of them have a built-in AGP video card, so there is no extra slot.
Most chipsets have integrated video for awhile now, but I have never ever seen any mobo is without an AGP slot because of it.
Old March 31, 2002, 14:20   #20
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
TechWins,
Have you considered Call to Power II? You should be able to pick it up really cheap now, it doesn't require you to upgrade your PC and, with some mods installed, it's a great game.
Yea, I second that. CTPII can't be all that bad, and its dirt cheap. I'm gonna buy it myself soon.
Old March 31, 2002, 15:07   #21
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior

CTPII can't be all that bad
Oh yes it can.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 31, 2002, 19:54   #22
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

No it can't. Even if you quit after 10 games, that's maybe 100 hours or something. Plenty of entertainment for 5-10 dollars.
Old March 31, 2002, 22:59   #23
TechWins
King

Quote:
Yeah, I actually have considered buying CtP2, and not having to upgarde my PC doesn't play part in that decision either. I'm almost positive I'm going to be upgrading my PC (there are some pretty good deals right now too). However, I don't think I'll get around to playing CtP2 until at least this summer. I want to endeavour in some different types of games than Civ-esque games.
Old April 1, 2002, 01:26   #24
Jeje2
Prince

As already mentioned I also recommend
X-Com series. (Either get Enemy unknown or Terror from the deep - they are so alike that not worth it. The third part Apocalypse I also recommend - game with both TBS and a semi-RTS option.)

Notised the absense of Settlers series (I recommend part II - later parts have been made unplayable with stupid special units. Thus making real booring click-fests were one special unit has way too much power)
Old April 1, 2002, 02:43   #25
Juggernaut
Prince

Can't wait till Aliens: Colonial Marines comes out for the PS2. Basically created off the plot from the 2nd Alien movie, it's about a marine squad who investigates the disappearings of Ripley's squad.
The gameplay is classical FPS, although it's squad-based, you command four other team members and are given missions to complete, kinda like SWAT3 in space.
Your team members all have different personalities and specialities, and if the mission turns out bad, like being surrounded by the aliens, they might panic and try to run off. That's where you have to use handy remarks like "Stay frosty, marine!" and such.
The last mission is set to take place on the aliens' homeplanet I've heard.

Can't wait.
Old April 1, 2002, 20:24   #26
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Game Recommendations
Quote:
I get chopy scroll rates with a P3 500, and Geforce 2 MX .

Turns out the system requirements aren't as bad as I orginally thought... I forgot to turn off my emulated sound driver (which is a whole other story ) and that was slowing the game down.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 4, 2002, 20:16   #27
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
Yea, I second that. CTPII can't be all that bad, and its dirt cheap. I'm gonna buy it myself soon.
Quote:
Yeah, I actually have considered buying CtP2, and not having to upgarde my PC doesn't play part in that decision either. I'm almost positive I'm going to be upgrading my PC (there are some pretty good deals right now too). However, I don't think I'll get around to playing CtP2 until at least this summer. I want to endeavour in some different types of games than Civ-esque games.
Well, good to hear you're at least considering it. When/if you guys do get around to it, let us on the CtP2 forums know what you think of it, I for one would love to hear it (even if you hate it)...
Old April 4, 2002, 21:19   #28
da_jaymz
Chieftain

If you're into turn-based long ass games check out Age of Wonders, Jagged Alliance 2, HoM&M III or IV and ofcourse CTP II (Alexander the Great scenario is like a game itself)....
Old April 5, 2002, 07:09   #29
Grumbold
Emperor

One game not mentioned yet which I enjoyed a lot is Majesty. There was even an expansion and gold version brought out in the US. The gold version is the one to buy unless the original is significantly cheaper.

If you're not a graphics snob then the other way to get great games is to visit sites like Classic Trash and the Home of the Underdogs to look for quality abandonware. There are lots of old games that still provide hours or days of entertainment for the cost of a download. I'd recommend Stronghold as well worth a look.
Old April 9, 2002, 20:15   #30
TechWins
King

Well, thanks for all of your suggestions still, but I went ahead and bought an X-Box instead. When I bought it I, also, got a controller ($40) and a DVD kit ($30) all for free because the box had been previously opened, however, nothing inside of the box had been opened. So you can say that I got lucky. I bought two games, as well, Halo and Tony Hawk 3.

I've played the GC, PS2, and X-Box (played this even before I had bought it) and I can honestly say unbiasedly that the X-Box is the best system. If you are looking to buy any one of these three systems I strongly recommend the X-Box. However, if you are a big fan of Nintendo games the GC would also be a good choice, even though, I am a big fan of Nintendo games I still wanted to buy the X-Box. To summarize my thoughts on the X-Box --- it kicks ass!

I'll still most likely get around to buying some of the suggested games but just not right now.