Old April 9, 2002, 20:52   #31
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 22:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My suggesstion would be to snag a copy of a game called Candle'Bre when it comes out....turn you into a total junkie....

-=Vel=-
(err...at least I hope it turns you into a total junkie... )
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 9, 2002, 21:01   #32
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Old April 9, 2002, 22:56   #33
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:19
I have heard good things about this "Candle" thingummy.

Apparently there's also going to be a Prima strategy guide to look forward to ...
Old April 10, 2002, 11:40   #34
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

LOL Rav!

The day that Prima has anything at all to do with writing so much as a leaflet for something we create will be the day that I eat a platter full of roadkill in front of a webcam...UGH...LOL

-=Vel=-
(not on my watch! )
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 10, 2002, 11:56   #35
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx

The day that Prima has anything at all to do with writing so much as a leaflet for something we create will be the day that I eat a platter full of roadkill in front of a webcam...UGH...LOL

[inside joke]
well ... we know that wouldn't be the craziest thing you've ever done, mate.

try mixing some tequila and a popsicle with the roadkill. you never know, you might discover some kind of wonder-cure for all sorts of throat infections.

and if that doesn't work, the dog medication will.
[/inside joke]

Last edited by FrustratedPoet; April 10, 2002 at 12:10.
Old April 10, 2002, 17:40   #36
Velociryx
staff

Very good point, Stoo....Verrrrry good point....

-=Vel=-
(shakes head at self)
Old April 11, 2002, 00:37   #37
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:19

I'm now getting visions of Vel driving around with a Car-B-Q

PS:
Quote:
+2 flashlight of irrelevance
ROFLMAO! Almost literally! Crikey does that one invoke memories. Keep it up guys ... If the humour going into this is any indication of the end product then it'll be HUGE!
Old April 11, 2002, 12:43   #38
Velociryx
staff

Thank ya, Rav!

Hmmm....doesn't everybody have a Car-B-Q? Ohhhh no wait...that's just a Southern thing here in the states...lol

As to the game we're making together....I think one of the biggest and best things we have going for us is the fact that since we started, we've all become friends...cutting up, joking around...'s good stuff...easy to unleash that creative energy in an environment like that....

Also, I gotta say that I *firmly* believe that the second biggest thing we have going for us is that this isn't how it usually happens. I mean, computer game startup companies have something like a 98% failure rate (and that's prolly generous). It's a hellish minefield to get from idea to product, and we're doing it without money, with few resources, and with a team that's never met face to face, and is, in fact, scattered all over the world (at least six different timezones, when I last checked and tried to schedule a meeting...lol).

We're a bunch of guys (and gals) who have never attempted anything like this before, which means we don't know that we aren't supposed to be able to do it.

So far though, it's been nothing but fun, everybody's staying enthusiastic about it, and we're beginning to see the first tangible evidence that we're really doing this thing.

I'm keeping a public journal on the site...my impressions of this whole adventure as it unfolds....and in one of my journal entries I said something like: "It is said that the Fates and God smiles on the Fools of the world, and if that's true, then they must be showing me ALL their pearly whites, and I must be about the biggest fool ever, but so far....this has been....magic. Pure magic."

True then...true now....it's coming together....we're making it happen, and hopefully, when this leg of our adventure has come to an end, I'll be able to talk the powers that be here at 'poly into opening up a Candle'Bre discussion forum....now THAT would really rock....

-=Vel=-
Old April 11, 2002, 13:10   #39
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:19
give the Baldur's Gate series a go

Not the first one though, unless you're up for a boring romp of not really doing too much. The others seemed better, though. Try out some console RPGs too, though, you can get a SNES emulator pretty easily and start playing Final Fantasy classics if you want.

As for the Heroes series: Even if Heroes IV is a great game, Heroes II is an utter classic and required play for everybody, along with the Price of Loyalty expansion. Go find it, now. Heroes III too, it's a better game in some ways although the pre-built campaigns aren't nearly as cool (and DON'T PATCH IT immediately. The only hard part in the whole campaign had its difficulty reduced in the patch/expansion).
Old April 11, 2002, 13:45   #40
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

I've been addicted to Global Operations recently. It's a pretty balanced mixing of counter strike weapon/lethality models with the classes of team fort. They cherry picked some great features from other games like Tribes 2's 'way-point on people' system and Wolf's medics can revive dead people. Even though I recently picked up Dungeon Siege (fun in MP but that's about it in my opinion), Freedom Force (great fun but I finished it very quickly) and Jedi Knight II (just can't get into this one), I keep coming back to Global Ops. There's a demo available (unlike for the other 3 I mentioned) so check it out.

Jeff
Old April 11, 2002, 17:02   #41
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
There's a demo available (unlike for the other 3 I mentioned) so check it out.
What company makes the game/where do I find the demo? I'm a recovering Team Fortress addict, personally; it took Senior Year and all that it entails (General Education requirements, pleh) to break me from the habit, but seeing as how I'm soon to be unemployed I might as well get the monkey on my back again...
Old April 12, 2002, 09:52   #42
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

I got mine here:

http://www.avault.com/pcrl/demo_temp.asp?game=globalops

Dunno how the server situation is with the retail out.

Jeff