View Poll Results: Do you wish Firaxis had waited to get more bugs out before releasing Civ 3?
I definitely wish they waited. 32 51.61%
I sort of wish they waited. 4 6.45%
I have mixed feelings. 4 6.45%
I'm sort of glad they went ahead and released it. 6 9.68%
I'm definitely glad they went ahead and released it. 16 25.81%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 31, 2002, 00:47   #1
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 16:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do you wish they had waited to release Civ 3?
Personally, I'm glad they released Civ 3 when they did instead of waiting to get more bugs out. I like the game in spite of its faults, and they can fix the faults faster with customers playing it and reporting problems instead of just beta testers. I'd like to see what others think.
Old March 31, 2002, 00:55   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I have to agree that I am glad they did not wait.

The only downside to me is the response of those who are/were disappointed with the beta.
Old March 31, 2002, 01:31   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
as long as they keep 'fixing' it, no problem here :-)
euh 'yes' btw for the vote
Old March 31, 2002, 02:09   #4
simwiz2
Warlord

Local Time: 17:23
the problem with the release-then-fix idea is that many features that should have been included, such as MP or a decent editor, will end up in a $50 expansion pack rather than in a patch.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old March 31, 2002, 02:20   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The fat lady aint singing yet simwiz. Why pillory the game and the developers/publishers for something they haven't done yet?
Old March 31, 2002, 03:28   #6
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I'm glad they've gone ahead and released it when they did. The enjoyment I've gotten out of it so far has probably outweighed any benefits that would have come from waiting longer.
Old March 31, 2002, 05:09   #7
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 22:23
I'm glad that they didn't wait. Otherwise, this forum would probably be boring.
Old April 1, 2002, 09:51   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Although I wanted them not to rush (it was obvious it would never be ready October 30th ; before the game was released, I expected the first patch to come 1 week after the release), and although I don't want them to rush the XP or to rush any patch, I admit I was wrong. Even if Civ3 is far from being as good as it could be, it gave me much fun in 5 months. And if they had listened to me (glad they didn't ), Civ3 would still not be out today.
Old April 1, 2002, 10:03   #9
Thrawn05
King

I don't know. Civ3 has kept me entertained when it was released, since most games released during the end of last year sucked. I think it was a worth it, even if it has some flaws in it.
Old April 1, 2002, 13:57   #10
delfino
Chieftain

around 50 dollars US for a game developping tool with a limited editor is a little hard to swallow. Mainly, and the comparison is inevitable, when Civ 2 was a richer game in many areas (more units, more buildings, more techs, wonder movies). I would rather wait. After all the complaints I have read in all the foruns and sites I have visited, I am pretty sure that by now Firaxis also would vote to have waited somewhat longer.
Old April 1, 2002, 14:14   #11
Jac de Molay
Prince

Agreed. They should've waited, included all the goodies, and upped the price 15 bucks if necessary.

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old April 1, 2002, 14:54   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

no. as much as i b1tch about there being no MP, civ would still not be out if they had delayed it for MP.

i'll deal.
Old April 1, 2002, 15:10   #13
Grey Knight
Settler

The reality is the QA / testing was lousy, and continues to be. I've given up playing -- 1.17 sucked so bad, I went editing, and eventually broke the game. Funny thing is, it really didn't bother me.

Hmm - I voted "definitely wait", however given their QA, it may not have been worth it, since the "public beta" seems to be the only way they can effectively test.

Shawn
Old April 1, 2002, 17:59   #14
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

yes; not because I care about the problems, but without them there would be a whole lot less people annoyingly complaining

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old April 2, 2002, 16:27   #15
Raion
Prince

Ah, Civ II for those of us who remember the game, was 'not that good' also when it came out.

It changed, and a lot of what people thought should be included with Civ III was only developed later with CivII.

This gives people time to be on a forum to discuss the game for months on end, if not years.

I think the game shows the way the real world is, and that is part of the game.

I think some people make better testers than ones that might be picked up to Beta test.

Its not a game one just plays for a month and then ends, and it never has been. People still play SMAC and that was out in 1998.

People still play Civ II and that was originally out in around 1995.

Its part of the experience.

It all takes time, and that's why it can be played (seemingly) forever. (and has been for the last 10-12 years).

Grab some snacks, you are the leader, and the computer is just not going to co-operate with you.

Be a Smooth Operator!

Old April 2, 2002, 19:13   #16
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

If they had waited to release it that woulc be awful.

Think of the terrible disappointment we would have ahead.

The current group at Firaxis are not capable of making a good game. They haven't a clue.

Civ is so good you would have had to work hard to mess if up like they did.
Old April 2, 2002, 19:27   #17
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:23
I spent weeks with little sleep immersing myself into Civ3 when it first came out. I had more energy and was happier than I had been in a long time (even at work I was jazzed)! Of course, a lot of my fun was involved in learning the game.

I am most grateful that they released it when they did. OTH, could they please release it again, now? That was such a happy time!