Old March 31, 2002, 15:28   #1
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 18:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What do Civ3 fans think of Infrogrames releasing MOO3 later?
I have just herd that Infrogrmaes will release MOO3 unitil 3rd Quarter of 2002. What do you think?

I think if they did that to Civ3 then Civ3 would have been a better product on release. I am glad they will release MOO3 later and not sooner. Just wish they did that for Civ3 and I might still be playing it right now. Still waiting for the next Patch.

Davor
Old March 31, 2002, 18:02   #2
Il Duce
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:24
Sounds Good
If they arent done then they should wait. Only wish that occurred
with Civ3
Old March 31, 2002, 18:05   #3
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 16:24
I don't mind waiting since Civ 3 is wasting enough of my time already.
Old April 1, 2002, 06:59   #4
Vertigom
Settler

Local Time: 23:24
I think it's great that they wait, I'd rather wait than have a half finished game.

Only thing I'm afraid of is that it can't live up to MoO2 but hey I'll give it a go anyway it deserves a chance.
Old April 1, 2002, 14:08   #5
delfino
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:24
yeah, it seems that all the Civ 3 criticism is producing some effect after all. I have already 50 euro marked for MOO3.
Old April 1, 2002, 15:56   #6
Spec
Emperor

What do Civ3 fans think of Infrogrames releasing MOO3 later?
Sage decision plutot.....
Old April 1, 2002, 18:39   #7
Myrddin
Warlord

Looks bad for MOO3

It was supposed to launch Q1, so it has been delayed 6 months

There were earlier reports that some of its innovative feature were being scrapped

It looks to me that this is not a short delay to polish the play balance, but a bigger problem that will result in a 'just good enough' game being released
Old April 1, 2002, 23:15   #8
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 17:24
Oh boy..............

You know I don't know much about the progress of MOO3 however.............

It looks like this is another game to add to the list. The list I'm refering to is the one where we wait until MOO3 has been played and reviewed by reliable sources before I drop any cash into it.

And those reliable sources would be our all knowing Apolytoners!

If there's a demo to this game, and I suspect there won't be, then I'll give it a whirl. No demo, no quick vacuuming of my pockets.
Old April 1, 2002, 23:25   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Seems a good idea on the surface. But I agree with HD, I won't be buying until others here have tried and enjoyed.
Old April 2, 2002, 01:12   #10
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 18:24
Don't know if this means much to any of you but Stormhound one of the developers was laidoff. Said something about since he can't do much for the game anymore that they don't need him anymore.

He is a great guy, answers any questions that he can conserning the game. He was the voice for Quicksilver the devleoper of the game.

Davor
Old April 2, 2002, 10:16   #11
Spook42
Settler

I played & enjoyed both MOO & MOO2 in their own heydays. Both were outstanding galactic strategy games to me.

For MOO3, if it were to take another full year to get it right, then let it take another full year. I do NOT want a band-aid rush job on that game. The epic premise that MOO3 is aiming for means that there can be that much more that can turn out wrong, if not given enough development time.
Old April 4, 2002, 13:13   #12
delfino
Chieftain

the biggest problem with MoO3 is that somewhere in the middle of the road QS started to ditch off features in order to keep the expected release date manageable. now they are ditching some more features because otherwise the game will never come out. this means (and I could be totally wrong, in fact I hope I will have to swallow this in a not to distant future) that when the game will eventually released it will be a pale shadow of what it should have been.

i am keeping my fingers crossed anyhow.
Old April 4, 2002, 15:28   #13
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Perhaps they are ditching features in order to have a credible AI. Seems the fashion at InfoGreed.

Anyhoo, if delay means allowing the game adequate development effort great, but it appears from the articles posted here at 'poly that the level of funding remains constant its just the spend out rate is pushed out, hence the reason for the dimissal of Stormhound, as they apparently couldn't maintain the spend out rate and keep him on the project.

Translation: less development effort per quarter and longer time to get game to market. Total development of the game may or may not be impacted depending on the productivity/expertise of the developers.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 4, 2002, 17:18   #14
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Have to admit that the delay is kind of scary.

Normally projects can be sped up or delayed by deployment or lack of manpower.

In other words, do we have 6 playtesters with 4 months to work (yes! ), or 30 playtesters with 2 months to work (nope ).

Or infrogreed has prolly decided that a later release will coincide with the X-mas season better. If they release in 2 months, the visibility by X-mas will be greatly reduced (that is read no sales).

RPM
Old April 4, 2002, 20:58   #15
Tuberski

The thing that gets me is that, With Civ 3, they wanted it out in time for Christmas.

People who really wanted the game were going to get it, no matter when it was. I can't believe that releasing it during the christmas season upped their sales all that much.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 4, 2002, 22:01   #16
Journier
Warlord

Local Time: 16:24
as u should know people that buy games play single player for the majority. The online population is like a run off.

Plus half of the people that buy games are kids under age like 14

and christmas for a 14 year old usually means a free game they told there parents about...

it pushes sales a fair amount..