Old February 26, 2001, 07:03   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 17:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010
civ3 preview: Panzer Tanks??
looking at the civ3 preview page (again!!), a thought struck me. a phalanx and catapult are expected, but why a panzer tank instead of the generic armor we're use to seeing?

DOES THIS MEAN THAT THERE ARE CIV SPECIFIC UNITS IN CIV3???

I sure hope so. it would add so much spice to the game.

I thought of this after a friend sent me his top ten list of WWII battleships. I had no idea they were so different!
Old February 26, 2001, 07:13   #2
Father Beast
King

I just went and looked again, and it seems there may be something to this. they list (in the gallery) a panzer tank and abrams tank, AND a mig fighter and f-15 fighter.

YAYYY...
Old February 26, 2001, 09:17   #3
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm not sure that the presence of 2 tanks (german and american) means civ specific units. Maybe it's just that we will have more modern units, including an older (panzer) and a newer (abrahms) tank. With other words, the abrahms tank could be the upgrade for the panzer tank.

Of course, I could be wrong... Nobody knows it for sure.
Old February 26, 2001, 23:07   #4
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 18:47
this is one of the things that hit me the first time i saw this site and my thoughts are this:
it seems like there may be civ specific units but if they implement one for every civ it could get like AoE when selecting a civ .
i thought maybe time related as was suggested but then i thought about the fighters - dont the f-15 and the mig rival each other? and wasnt the abrham tank around since the end of wwII? i might be wrong, about that. but even if i am - they follow quite a short (and less signifigant) upgrade that what has been seen in civ's in the past. i.e. prop plane -> jet fighter -> stealth. each of these were brought about by new techs. what serious tech difference is there between a abrahm (original model) and a panzer (late model), or between a mig and an f-15 (one for aircraft carrier, one is not? that would be too much).
so, i believe that it may be more civ specific - and just hope that it doesnt get TOO civ specific like AoE (took me for ever at first to figure strategy, and hey, i am an indecisive person - i could never figure out which units i wanted - cause i wanted them all )
i'm sure they will balance it well, though.
Old February 28, 2001, 07:24   #5
Father Beast
King

Of course, it could be that there are simply different named (and pictured units) for the same thing in different civs. like, if you're american, your fighter is an F15, and Mig if you're russian.
it would still be cool.
Old February 28, 2001, 21:33   #6
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 20:47
The Abrams tank was not around since the end of the war, it entered (US) service in the 1980's.

If they have panzers, I sincerely hope they have T-34's for the WW2 scenario. that's good bull.

------------------
"People should know when they're conquered."

"Would you Quintis? Would I?"

"Soylant Green is people. PPPeeeoooppllleee!"