Old April 5, 2002, 16:35   #31
WarVoid
King

Local Time: 22:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I've got about 20 unfinished scenarios. Basically though, mainly for the same reasons techumseh stated. What I had wanted to do I simply could not do (i.e. draw all new units accurately) and I also just lost interest in the project.

Besides that, most of my scens are sci-fi, which is generally frowned upon... :/
Old April 7, 2002, 17:26   #32
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 00:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So concentrate and finish sth!

I'm waiting for some arabic-theme scn...
Anyway, what are those scns about?
Give us a fool list, please
Old April 7, 2002, 20:16   #33
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 16:30
My "Old Testament" scenario is being play tested right now (BTW - have you commented on it yet?). So far the biggest complaint has been that the rules and tech tree do not differ enough from the standard CIv II game. I ask you all: exactly what needs to be changed to make a scenario good? I think changes from the standard Civ II game should only be made if they enhance the scenario. Civ II, esp. with the Fascist Patch or something like it, plays pretty well to begin with. That's why we're all here in this forum. My philosophy is if it ain't broke, dont fix it. I think it is pretty clear that a fair amount of time went into tweaking the rules for my scenario and that it wasn't lazyness or a lack of creativity that caused the similarities. Just look at the effort and creativity that went into keeping the tree in alphabetical order! It just made sense to leave a lot of the stock parts in the scenario. Even with the tech rate slowed down as much as it is, it is not extremely hard to arrive at the future tech, so tweaks in the rules were needed to keep tanks and rockets from flying around in the Middle East and Palestine. Hmmm, if it was only as easy in real life!
Old April 7, 2002, 20:42   #34
giz.moe
Settler

Local Time: 22:30
spoiled?? wheres my dictionary.. spoiled..spoiled... ah! yes, absolutely!
I've made a few scenarios including a lot of work (drawing all the units, the map etc) but after playing Red Front, Imperium Romanum (and all the other great scens) i dont like them anymore.. i will replace the graphics with some nemoish ones, add more event files etc and maybe i will release them some day
Old April 7, 2002, 21:53   #35
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by WarVoid

Besides that, most of my scens are sci-fi, which is generally frowned upon... :/

A pox on all who frown upon Sci-Fi scenarios!

I have the same problem though. Have started many sci-fi oriented scens but lack the artistic ability to complete them.
Old April 7, 2002, 22:03   #36
hardjoy
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 23:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Jacobite1688
... So far the biggest complaint has been that the rules and tech tree do not differ enough from the standard CIv II game. I ask you all: exactly what needs to be changed to make a scenario good? I think changes from the standard Civ II game should only be made if they enhance the scenario. Civ II, esp. with the Fascist Patch or something like it, plays pretty well to begin with. That's why we're all here in this forum. My philosophy is if it ain't broke, dont fix it.
Agreed. I think it depends on what the creator wants to get thru to his players. In a scenario that focuses much on era-specific changes in technology etc, with lots of units, a fullblown tech tree will definitely add something. But even a halfway tweaked tech tree will do wonders. It'd be hard to make a fullblown era specific scenario without at least tweaking the tech tree to fit with unit progression etc. BUT the basics remain setting up the variables of geography, economy, terrains, cities, the groundwork on which the player is to base his decisions. This can, of course, involve a a new tech tree og tweaks to the existing one, but might not. But perhaps, in order to make it interesting, might involve new approaches to something known, then. But there's no need to overhaul everything if the standard thing fits with your agenda.