Old April 3, 2002, 23:46   #1
Kilroy_Alpha
Warlord

Local Time: 14:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ 3: More Civ than ever???
I was in Vancouver BC recently and briefly visited Tower Records. On the top floor where they sell games I noticed that among the normal Civ boxes there was one with really chessy and retarded box art (some painting of the Civilization building with a bunch of crap around it - it was really bad) and it said "Civilization III: More Civ than ever." I assume this was just the Canadian Box art which would explain why it's retarded (since, you know, Canada is retarded), but now I'm wondering if, had I bought that particular game, I would have gotten a little more Civ?

p.s. I'd also like to point out that "More Civ than Ever" is false advertising if it's the same thing they sold in the States, probably why they only had one box left.
Old April 3, 2002, 23:58   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:33
Retarded? You only wish you were a member of the uber group that inhabits the True North Strong and Free.

You should have bought it before you blew your chance. You know how most of us are enjoying the game? Well, the real story is that we used our immense influence to force the publisher to create a version just for us. Wait till MP.

BTW. Too late. Your name has been added to the *bad* list. You'd never figure out how we do it, so I won't bore you with details. Just suffice to say that even if you do find what looks like our private label product, your's will have the original *Mercan* disk in it. Enjoy.
Old April 4, 2002, 03:28   #3
Kilroy_Alpha
Warlord

nye, in this "special" version, does the AI trade techs with itself "more than ever?" And, does swarm the continent with settlers "more than ever?" I understand if you don't want to answer, but I'd like to know for a research project I'm working on.
Old April 4, 2002, 04:12   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well. In the CSE (Candian Special Edition) of course the whole game unfolds in a much more elegant way.

To begin with, we get certain city improvements that other versions lack. Take for instance, the Hockey Arena. This can be built after the Ice tech is discovered. Makes 5 extra citizens happy. Of course it drains 20 gold per turn to the American civ (if there is one) after they discover Pro Sports. When is the Ice tech discovered? Good you asked. The Canadian civ starts with it. Then, for any other civ to research it they must have at least one Tundra square within their cultural borders. If the Russians discover it, the Canadian civ can cause them to go into disorder at any time by calling a *Canada Cup* or an *Olympics* and whooping their (and everybody else's) *sses in the only important event of any civilized society.

Then there is the culture model. Did I mention the Hockey Arena? It produces 8 culture per turn. The only problem is that any city taken over never forgets the civ it came from. Even if their original civ has been completely eliminated they may decide to flip *back* to be their own civ. They never go back to the original civ (they are now superior of course, and they don't really speak the same language anymore anyway).

As for units. Well. There really is no comparison. What with Crossbowman, Cruisers, Supersonic Bombers and all. Really there isn't much of a comparison with what you have to endure. Spearman defeats Tank? Well, OK maybe. If they are Mohawk Warriors they hunt Tanks for dinner. In fact the Canadian civ really never needs to build any units other than Warrior and Canoe. Everything else is just for flavour.

Workers and tile improvements are interesting. Unless of course your workers come from BC. In that case they go on strike every turn. How's that you ask? Well. At the start of the turn, they go on stirke. You spend your turn negotiating a settlement and they go back to work. So before you end turn you restart the tile improvement. They go on strike again at the beginning of the next turn so you get to do it all over again.

The workers from the Maritimes. They just stay there swinging that pick for hundreds of turns. They never strike. It just seems that they're paid by the government to keep on working, so that's what they do, they just keep on keeping on, forever. They don't want to lose their jobs by finishing. They're 30% of the workers.

If your lucky your worker is from Alberta or Saskatchewan or Manitoba. In that case, 1 worker one tile, one improvement, 1 turn, done. They're really the only ones who can get anything done. Unfortunately, they are only 20% of the workers.

What else? Well the space ship victory is a little different. You see, in reality... Hmmm. I don't know if you're ready for this yet. I better leave off for now. More later if you seem to be ready for it.
Old April 4, 2002, 04:19   #5
Kilroy_Alpha
Warlord

I see. And I suppose each civ's production is correspondingly reduced because all your citizens are too busy curling? Also, unit movement would (I assume) be modified to reflect your nation's "highly efficient" highway system? Again, I understand if you want to keep this secret, but like I said - research project...
Old April 4, 2002, 04:34   #6
notyoueither
Deity

More will be revealed on the morrow.

For now, I hear the gentle clunk of curling stones calling me to superior pursuits.
Old April 4, 2002, 10:12   #7
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 22:33
Re: Civ 3: More Civ than ever???
Quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy_Alpha
among the normal Civ boxes there was one with really chessy and retarded box art (some painting of the Civilization building with a bunch of crap around it - it was really bad)
That's the artwork for the UK version of Civilization III. Maybe a UK version accidentally got shipped to Canada.

Anyway, isn't your head of State still the Queen? Well at least she'll have a country to rule when the British finally come to their senses and get rid of her....
Old April 4, 2002, 10:22   #8
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 17:33
NYE, you forgot to mention a couple of things:

the two road movement instead of three everywhere but the praries.

After the discovery of communism you can build a post office small wonder that triggers regular periodic breakdowns of the communication systems with other civs.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 4, 2002, 17:32   #9
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
More Civ than ever? Hmm, must have been CtP2 then