Old April 4, 2002, 04:53   #1
Tormund
Settler

Local Time: 08:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is EVERY Victory Type Possible?
I'm sure someone out there is going to put up there hand and say YES I have achieved every Victory Type.

I want to know more specifically though if people have been able to achieve EVERY Victory Type WITHOUT disabling any of the Victory Types.

Examples:

Has anyone conquered every other civilization without first achieving a Domination Victory?

Has anyone ever managed a Cultural Victory ahead of a Space Race Victory without deliberately abandoning the pursuit of the Space Race Victory?
Old April 4, 2002, 04:56   #2
Kilroy_Alpha
Warlord

Local Time: 14:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I believe diplomatic victory is pretty much a joke. Somehow the most warlike AI gets the most votes, but if you ever started a war during the game you're screwed.

"AI can't tell the human player from the other AI civs" my ass...
Old April 4, 2002, 05:07   #3
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 16:33
The only diplomatic victory I've ever won came after going to war with three of the other six civs in the game. The secret is, don't let the civs you've fought against live long enough to get a vote.

In that game, once I took out the other three civs in my hemisphere, everyone that was left got along well with me. Slugging it out with friendly nations on the other side of the world just didn't feel right, and a diplomatic victory in which I controlled one half of the world, the AIs controlled the other half, and everyone got along great made perfect sense.

Nathan
Old April 4, 2002, 08:27   #4
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 17:33
Re: Is EVERY Victory Type Possible?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tormund
Has anyone conquered every other civilization without first achieving a Domination Victory?

Has anyone ever managed a Cultural Victory ahead of a Space Race Victory without deliberately abandoning the pursuit of the Space Race Victory?
Yes and yes.

To conquer without domination raze as you go and don't bother to fully re-settle the area. Easy to do if you are on a roll.

I've had the cultural victory before I got all the techs for Space Race.
Old April 4, 2002, 09:50   #5
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I've never achieved a cultural victory despite the fact that I'm a builder. It seems to me that in order to win a cultural victory you need to have more than one or two of the early wonders (at least). At monarch and above I find that a difficult task, I can usually get one and sometimes two, but the AI advantages in the early game mean that it usually gets to the wonders before me.

Maybe its the wonders I usually try to build (colossus, pyramids) or dont (hanging gardens, oracle) that are the problem ?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 5, 2002, 12:29   #6
loleod
Settler

That cant be it , even on the easy levels I played on the easiest level and managed to obtain EVERY single wonder in the world. All of my cities ( 40 +) had everything they could ever want. My total culture quintupled the computers combined for 1,000 years. I had cities flipping to me every other turn , and I still could not get the cultural victory. A little help here what else can I possible do!?
Old April 5, 2002, 13:21   #7
WarpStorm
King

There are 2 ways to get a cultural victory.

1. Have a city with 20,000 culture points. This is very hard. Pretty much all of your wonders will need to be built in this city as early as possible (if a culture producing structure is older than 1000 years it gives bonus points).

2. Have 100,000+ culture points and have the combined total of the opponents' culture be less than half of yours. This is easier. Build lots of cities with culture and then start a war and wipe out the high culture opponents. 100,000 is a lot of culture though. You will need a lot of developed cities to get this quickly.

Obviously, allow cultural victories must be checked.
Old April 5, 2002, 13:51   #8
dawidge
Warlord

When playing Babylon, I find it difficult to *not* get the cultural
victory. I tend to play a hybrid style, so my cities are very developed, producing lots of culture and happiness. The happiness allows me to start wars without the citizenry getting ticked off (it also helps if you can make your enemy start the war,
a few diplomatic incidents with spy activity usually does the trick).
Roll over the opposition and be prepared to either occupy the
city or resettle it immediately after razing it. I tend to keep it
intact.

My first cultural victory (Babs, Regent) crept up on me by surprise (and actually pissed me off). I was well on my way to picking my own victory conditions when the victory screen popped up. I had
over 100 cities at that point, had purchased temples, libraries, universities, and cathedrals everywhere, and didn't even have mechanized infantry or modern armor. Because I'd brokered tech to every other civ at outrageous prices, I had tech pegged at 100% and was still making a couple hundred gold/turn.

That's when I decided it was time to move up to monarch ,-)}
(where I don't bother to make my own tech, I just buy it. When it gets more expensive to buy it than to steal it, I steal it).

I've turned off domination victory, it's just too easy (since I don't raze)
Old April 5, 2002, 14:11   #9
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 22:33
You can turn off vics like you want. If you want to have a conquest vic than you HAVE to turn of the domination vic. You see....?
Old April 5, 2002, 23:11   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You can get every victory type without necessarily turning others off.

Conquest victory: Raze enemy cities instead of keeping them.
Domination: Keep the enemy cities instead of razing them.

Cultural: Raze the enemy capital (the city they will be producing the most culture in) and keep building cultural buildings in your capital asap. Wonders when you can too.

Diplo: Never played a game with that option on.

Spaceship: Easiest of them all, just build it in your biggest cities.
Old April 6, 2002, 03:42   #11
Aeson
Emperor

I would suggest that everyone check out SirPleb's Deity game at the CivFanatics Hall of Fame. He set it up so that in the same game every victory condition was achievable at 2050. Quite impressive.
Old April 6, 2002, 07:27   #12
Beren
Warlord

Local Time: 23:33
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
The only diplomatic victory I've ever won came after going to war with three of the other six civs in the game. The secret is, don't let the civs you've fought against live long enough to get a vote.
Yeah, I used that tactic as well, but what you also can do is the turn before you complete the UN. Give all you technology away for free and even money. It worked with me.