Local Date: October 31, 2010
Welcome, Centrifuge.
-Jean Rostand
Old April 11, 2002, 16:05   #32
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 15:34
I can also remember my first game of multiplayer in which I couldn't figure out how to chat. It was frustrating because I could read the other players chatting but I couldn't myself do it. Having been burned by the PW thing I resorted to reading the manual but I quickly discovered what a poorly designed and unindexed mess the manual was... In the end I just started hitting every key on the key board and eventually figured it out. The rest they say... is history.
Old April 12, 2002, 09:41   #33
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 23:34
I bought a cheap CtP2 in ebay in Feb 2001. I had played CivCtP for years (just like every other Civ related game), including multiplayer (although in LAN only). My thoughts after the first view were, what a rip-off! There seemed to be not enough changes to call it a new game.

My first game then was a struggle between love and hate, comparing the game with it's predecessor CivCtP. I loved the border feature, at least I knew now what's mine and what not. I hated the new trade route concept, because there's no way anymore to force the routes over your own territory, by building roads or so. I loved the new diplomacy. I hated the new diplomacy. Paradox? No. I loved that I have more options, I hated, that the AI cares a warm fart about diplomacy. No sense to make agreements if the AI keeps to break them. I loved that the space colonization was gone. I hated, that the ocean colonization and the other futuristic rubbish wasn't gone as well. I loved the game interface. I hated, that the game kept crashing if entering diplo screen after building the ESW center (english sp?). I loved the city radius growth feature. I hated it as well, because you have to build your cities so far apart to have use of it. I loved the improved unit stacking, including the stack naming. I hated the way stack naming was implemented, because the names kept to be f*cked up by stack rebuilding. I absolutely hated (and still hate) the stealth units. Wished they were gone after CivCtP, but they weren't. And the AI was such a pushover, the "Impossible" setting really should not be the only setting to get some kind of a challenge out of a game. Note, that I played the unmodded game. I tried some mods a couple of time, but they didn't run because of my localized version.

I then played CtP2 and was semi-content with it, for 8 months, till Civ3 came out. Made a couple of really great games though, including two games at a improved myself world map. But there's the city appearance bug in the editor... *sigh*

Anyway, I won't start an off-topic comparison of CtP2 with Civ3, there have been so many. Want just to say, that I buried my old CtP2 copy out a few weeks ago, due to the advertising (won't say the S-word now ) of some of the CtP2 players in the well populated Civ3 forum. I got several mods running, thanks to you guys , especially Wombat and Locutus. Started a Cradle 1.3 game last weekend. But the early game is so tedious. 40 or 50 turns to build a settler (well, or a nomad) is certainly too much. I'm used to the challenging and adrenaline kicking Civ3 starts now, the tedium really hurts. So I abandoned the game and started the CivFanatics Civ3 GOTM #6. Maybe I retry CtP2 later.
Old April 12, 2002, 10:05   #34
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Try WaW for a quick start game
Old April 12, 2002, 10:18   #35
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I suppose by WaW you mean the World at War mod. Thanks, I may try it after the GOTM6. Just shipping 40 War Elephants over the ocean... Japan is toast . That's fun.