Old March 3, 2001, 05:51   #1
kolpo
Prince

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A culture event choose model
My idea is that instead of having a predefined culture in 4000 B.C. to have certain historical events in which you have to make a desicion which determinate how your culture will be.

Example:
report: "The islam his popularity is growing sir what shall we do?"
aswers:
1) kill all those who follow the islam, destroy there temples, declare war on all islamitic nations.
2) I won't interfere with religious matters.
3) They are profets of the only true God ! convert everyone to the islam , kill all those who refuse and sign an alliance with the islamitic nations.

You can see that the choose you make here will have a big impact on your culture.

another example:
report: "the black are revolting against discrimination sir"
1) send the army to stop this revolution.
2) I don't care.
3) All races are equal it is time that we stop this discimination.
Old March 3, 2001, 07:00   #2
Sean
Prince

Maybe this can be included in random events? Otherwise I am somewhat dubious.
Old March 6, 2001, 21:50   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

This might make it more RPG-ish and text-based

however if you set the priorities of your city-governors by choosing their backgrounds as what they did in early life and childhood... The grounds are limitless...
Old March 7, 2001, 02:31   #4
tmarcl
Warlord

Local Time: 19:48
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I agree with the idea of random events, maybe with small bonuses/penalties for chosing whatever answer. For your Islam example, choosing to allow religious tolerance adds one happy person to each city for ten turns. Choosing to convert all your people enables all your happiness improvements to generate tithes for ten turns (a smaller effect than fundamentalism, though-maybe just one gold per improvement). Killing off the Muslims adds two unhappy citizens to each city for ten turns. Abolishing discrimination isn't really possible-technically discrimination is abolished in the US, but no one has bothered to inform the bigots. Abolishing segregation of schools, on the other hand (just as an example) adds +1 per science improvement to each cities overall science score for ten turns. Stopping the riots, on the other hand, causes civil disorder in one third of your cities.

The only thing, though, is these specific random events can only come up once each. If you include enough of them though, it would be a pretty cool addition.
Old March 7, 2001, 11:29   #5
carioca
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by tmarcl on 03-07-2001 01:31 AM
fundamentalism, though-maybe just one gold per improvement). Killing off the Muslims adds two unhappy citizens to each city for ten turns.

ten turns. Stopping the riots, on the other hand, causes civil disorder in one third of your cities.

But noone would ever pick them.... so why have them at all?

however, if killing the Muslums results in a large cash bonus and stopping the riots makes all your troops vetran then someone might use those options...

In other words if each option has an up side, then I like the idea, if not it would just be an annoyance to pick the 'correct' reponse.
Old March 8, 2001, 01:40   #6
tmarcl
Warlord

Local Time: 19:48
quote:

Originally posted by carioca on 03-07-2001 10:29 AM
But noone would ever pick them.... so why have them at all?

however, if killing the Muslums results in a large cash bonus and stopping the riots makes all your troops vetran then someone might use those options...

In other words if each option has an up side, then I like the idea, if not it would just be an annoyance to pick the 'correct' reponse.

Good point. Still, I'd like to see some sort of penalty-maybe a plus and a minus for each choice. Killing off all the Muslims gives you the cash bonus, but still adds unhappiness (minor unhappiness, as opposed to civil disorder), while promoting religious tolerance may give happiness to each city, it causes civil disorder in one or two cities (with a strong conservative religious element).

Marc
Old March 9, 2001, 01:11   #7
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:48
Perhaps there should be some half-way options like you support islam more than other religions, but won't nessesarily go out of your way to support them, or start abolishing slavery of the blacks, but don't do it too fast.

This way the you can choose effects that are not so critical in some areas.