Old April 5, 2002, 16:13   #1
Rotten999
Warlord

Local Time: 16:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Loans and Threats: Why?
I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten a loan of gold or successfully extorted a rival they were at peace with.

It seems to me they couldn't get these features to work, but put them in anyway.
Old April 5, 2002, 16:19   #2
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 23:37
I've never gotten a loan.

Does this feature actually functions any time at all?

AJ
Old April 5, 2002, 16:32   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 18:37
I've never tried for a loan. I have never used "give me this or else" except to anger an AI enough so they would attack me: gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme, remove your troops or declare war!

Extortion, however, as in renegotiating a peace treaty, works rather well.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 5, 2002, 16:33   #4
CycloneVM
Settler

I've gotten a threat to work before, got 2 techs out of the Indians after I had just gotten done crushing the Russians and the Romans (I was the Persians). The Indians were next on the chopping block, so I figured I'd give it a shot and got what I wanted. Didn't deter me from going after them 10 turns later, though
Old April 5, 2002, 20:24   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 17:37
i'm a warmonger and a master of extortion.

when you're killing an AI, and they come begging for peace, make them pay 20 gold per turn (lump it in with the peace treaty offer).

then, in 20 turns or so, they'll come to you and ask to renew the peace treaty, and you can put in a new number (usually a lower one if they got stronger etc), and if you dont like the deal, you can go to war without a blackmark, and your not the agressor (for you people who like democracy).

and as for a loan, the button never works for me, but i did get 100 gold for 10 gold per turn.
Old April 5, 2002, 20:49   #6
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've managed to get the other Civs to offer me a loan a few times, but I've never accepted it. It worked in SMAC, because you could use the money to rush SPs, but it doesn't work in Civ3, largely because in the early game no-one needs money and no-one has any, and later on you should have enough money anyway.
Old April 5, 2002, 23:17   #7
Rotten999
Warlord

Yes, it's fun to create "Versailles" style peace treaties, but I want to skip the fighting phase of the bullying. It never seems to work, even when I'm obviously poised to do some damage. I'd rather "shake the mailed glove" and get some quick cash then deal with a bunch of 100% corrupt cities that are conquered, at least later in the game.

I'll have to try extorting right after "making an example" of another rival, as suggested.
Old April 5, 2002, 23:32   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

well you have to put the AI's in their place.

in the game i'm playing right now, i was at war with 4 civs at once. the whole continent was at war with eachother, but since i'm the largest i get the most flak.

anyway, i was china so my riders started smashing babylon up. i took 7 cities with a total of 2 wonders (great lighthouse and copernicus') and i was planning the kill. they had just gotten saltpeter from somewhere, so they were actually putting up a defence, so i was open for a truce, until i can get calvary. so they come up to me (as they do every other turn) and beg for peace.

so i took silk, 27 gold per turn, 2 techs, and 3 cities in the peace deal.

but the cities start out empty... and the other AIs bumrushed them .

but anyway, each turn of peace yields me gold and free silk. good deal.
Old April 6, 2002, 03:31   #9
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
but the cities start out empty... and the other AIs bumrushed them .
Aren't cities you get through culture flip/diplomacy meant to come w/ a free defender?
Old April 6, 2002, 03:43   #10
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I have used the extortion feature successfully, but never had any success with loans.
Old April 6, 2002, 04:08   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

Aren't cities you get through culture flip/diplomacy meant to come w/ a free defender?

cities that culture flip come with defenders, cities that are given through diplomacy are not. Probably to avoid the loophole in future mp where two players could trade cities back and forth to raise a quick defensive army.
Old April 6, 2002, 04:11   #12
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

never got a loan, only tried a few times. but now w/ 1.17 the ai seems so broke, that it would hardly be worth it. too bad, I remeber the AI asking for loans all the time in SMAX
Old April 7, 2002, 00:41   #13
Zachriel
King

Yes to both
I've had loans and tribute in nearly every game.

http://www.crowncity.net/civ3/gotm5/1838ad.htm

Old April 7, 2002, 16:45   #14
Beren
Warlord

To loan do the following:
We want:
90 gold
We give:
5 gold (per turn)

It worked the other way around as well (it was prepatch.)

But I gues that is not what you ment.
It is really stupid the AI can come over to you with demands and can immediately declare war if you choose not to comply, while you can't.
Old April 7, 2002, 18:18   #15
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Beren

It is really stupid the AI can come over to you with demands and can immediately declare war if you choose not to comply, while you can't.
?

You can declare war anytime. You can even declare war honorably as long as the original term of the peace treaty (20 turns) has expired.
Old April 7, 2002, 19:34   #16
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
The easiest way to do this is renogiate peace and if the AI refuses to give you what you want, say 'never mind'. It's equivalent to a DOW.
Old April 8, 2002, 06:33   #17
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

I've asked this before but have already forgotten about it:

how can you monitor when the peace agreement expires?

how can you renegotiate the peace treaty itself (in case when you're the one that demands more techs/gold to allow a renewal of the treaty).

I know there must be a way, but I can't figure it out.

AJ
Old April 8, 2002, 06:52   #18
Aeson
Emperor

You can renegotiate current deals by clicking on "Active" in the diplomacy screen. Seems to not be a very intuitive interface. I had to ask this question myself a while back.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	renegotiate.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	12984  
Old April 8, 2002, 07:40   #19
Zachriel
King

Yes, click on active. If there is a number by the peace treaty, that means that the original term of the treaty is still in effect. If you cancel an expired treaty, then there is no hit to your reputation. It is not a dishonor to fight a war to protect your people. It is only a dishonor to say one thing and do another.

Declare war before you attack.

Old April 8, 2002, 08:35   #20
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Thanks, I won't forget about this one for my next games.
Can make a big difference in terms of 'milking' the defeated civ.

I've never noticed the 'new' and 'active' buttons before though ...

Must check it out later on ...

AJ
Old April 8, 2002, 09:51   #21
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR
Thanks, I won't forget about this one for my next games.
Can make a big difference in terms of 'milking' the defeated civ.

I've never noticed the 'new' and 'active' buttons before though ...

Must check it out later on ...

AJ
You can also "milk" existing peace treaties -- every 20 turns.
Old April 8, 2002, 11:33   #22
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I only recently began using peace treaty renegotiation in my games. Not with beaten civs - I rarely let them live, and if I do, they aren't viable. With civs I have not yeat fought.

Example:

I had destroyed Babylon & China, and was partway through Persia. I called up Ghandi, the last untouched AI on my continent, and renegotiated peace. I received two techs (code of laws and polytheism, I think).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 8, 2002, 12:19   #23
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I also use peace renegotiation, and it works great. Starting about 2000BC, I renegotiate peace with every civ that's below me in the powergraph (that's usually all), every 20 turns. I extort all, although not all give me cities. I take all they give. Gandhi practically plays OCC, he usually has 1 gold or so. I take it. I prepared a special table, not to forget a treaty. Works amazing, although it shows that the AI acts in the ancient age astoundingly lame. I just "extorted" contact with the Japanese from another civ. They are at an island of their own. First act, after saying hello, was to negotiate peace. Will you give me a city for not attacking you, Tokugawa? Sure he did. If I had such a decent island, I never would give a city away, and smash all invaders... I am so weak, I can't even attack. But all AI's are scared, see my post in the "Alexander" thread.
Old April 8, 2002, 12:56   #24
randommushroom
Warlord

That renegotiating is definitely a buried feature. I only found out about it a little while ago when Aeson posted that ICS method and he talked about renegotiating peace treaties to get free cities. Oy, I wish there were a screen that simply listed all your active deals rather than having to call up the civ, and then clicking Active. No no I'm not really here to talk to you, I'm just trying to find out how much longer our deal has to go. And then of course you have to click New to get out of the screen. Annoying interface design there.
Old April 8, 2002, 14:04   #25
Rotten999
Warlord

it is buried...I had no idea the renegotiation feature existed. That's why I come here, though!

I did finally succeed in a threat...40 Gold. A real boon for my despotism.

The AI seems to have no idea when it's in big trouble, until you force a shameful peace or "renegotiate," of course. Got to try that.