Old April 11, 2002, 11:01   #31
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
ok...um, it might be better if you skipped me this first time, I'm gonna be pretty busy today but free over the weekend

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old April 11, 2002, 17:03   #32
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 17:38
OK, we'll skip civman, I'll go.
Old April 11, 2002, 17:34   #33
Journier
Warlord

.... yea then ill go if u finish ur turn today
Old April 11, 2002, 17:52   #34
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I played my turn, we're so behind in tech it's not funny.

Important Events during the Reign of Hammurabi IV:

800 - Ellipi is built near the elephant.

670 - Persia made small demands... we appease them... we're too young to die.

630 - The Exploring Bowman dies after running into a horde of 16 horsemen... hopefully they head to Persia!

610 - 12 Horseman outside ashur... a different group... but a spearman has just been built...

590 - Ashur holds of the barbarian barrage, we lost the spearman, though, we rush another...

550 - We lost another spearman in Ashur to barbs... rush again!

530 - Barbs destory the rush job in Ashur... sending another warrior to help defend.

About our hopeless tech situation... the Persians are in the middle ages. I found out when I got a message that they were building Sun Tzu's...

We are researching Literature. When we discover it, we must switch the pyramids in Babylon to Great Library... hopefully we beat Persia to Great Library.
Attached Files:
Old April 11, 2002, 21:29   #35
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

WOW! What level is this on, isn't it monarch? I play on regent usually, I would have never guessed there was that much of a difference...but the computer people in the middle ages 500 bc!!!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old April 11, 2002, 22:09   #36
Rotten999
Warlord

My fears about the high levels prove justified.

16 Horseman?
Old April 11, 2002, 22:18   #37
civman2000
Emperor

if we get the great library, our tech worries will end (until education at least)...although I doubt we'll be able to get to it first

Old April 11, 2002, 22:36   #38
Jonny

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
if we get the great library, our tech worries will end (until education at least)...although I doubt we'll be able to get to it first
We gotta try, at least.
Old April 13, 2002, 10:01   #39
Journier
Warlord

skip my turn

ive been in bed for past 2 days with the worse flu of my life
Old April 13, 2002, 16:21   #40
Rotten999
Warlord

Alright, I've have the next turn by this evening.
Old April 13, 2002, 18:37   #41
Rotten999
Warlord

Here's the results.

General Observations: Monarch level. The level isn't entirely to blame, because of Pangea, all of our rivals are already in contact, and have united against us, of course. That explains the 500 BC Middle Ages. We've got a hill to climb.

I strayed a little from the "leave Babylon on Pyramids" plan by building a worker first. If we don't improve the area around the capital...well I don't need to draw a picture.

Projected year that pop rushing in Ashur will stop causing unhappiness: 1950.

Projected year that someone finishes space ship: 1450.

I've changed some Spearman production to Bowman, in anticipation of war to come. We could use that golden age, too.
Proposal for dealing with Persia: massive horseman blitz.

Anyhow, here's what I did!

430: Worker commishioned at Babylon. Time to mine those grasslands and get some production going. If we don't get Great Library, we can always build Colossus, I suppose.

410: Aztecs extort 19 gold, world map. I fold faster than superman on laundry day.

390: Akkad founded where the first settler came to a halt.

370: Spearman defeats Barbarian warrior. It was a glorious victory.

350: Internal development continues.

330: Horses connected near Akkad. Again, a massive attack of cheap retreating units is our best chance for some conquest. If we can humble Persia, the Tech difference will vanish in a blink.

310: More exciting enter pushing.

290: Uruk founded near cows.

270: Hurrian encampment routed, avenging the dozens of barbarian victories over Babylon. It looks like the barbarian problem may be over.

250: Literature discovered. Next goal is monarchy. Looking forward to one turn government change.

230: Rumors of a wild seven-way war going on with the other civs.

210: Rumors prove inaccurate.

190: Ur builds Bowman, Ellipi Temple. Workers tasked for both.

170: Run into wall, bounce right off.

150: Ashur connected, giving us three luxuries. It would be nice to trade them, but the AI doesn't build roads. It still seems to get plenty of commerce, somehow.

130: Milwaukee/San Fran. enters eighth inning. Good guys down 3-2.

110: Bonds hit another homer in the first.

90: Eridu founded. We now have a secure Eastern border, and can start thinking about war.

70: Barry Bonds is due up after the break.

50: My run comes to a merciful conclusion.

Bottom lines: If we can win a war, it would help us a lot. We should start getting ready. They might get techs at a comical pace, but they still have to build units at a reasonably normal pace (thank goodness their's no AI "unit trading"). Horsemen are our best bet, in what will be a bloody war of attrition.

Other priority: Using workers to build up our territory. We can fill in what's still open with settlers at leisure, now that we're setting an eastern border.

Bonds just got hit by a pitch. The crowd does not like it.

It's probably too early to panic...wait until we try a war. A little planning (mass) should insure some victories.
Old April 13, 2002, 18:40   #42
Rotten999
Warlord

The file.
Attached Files:
Old April 15, 2002, 16:45   #43
civman2000
Emperor

Jim Edmonds!! ...I'm a cards fan...my 20 turns should be up later today...

Old April 15, 2002, 18:14   #44
civman2000
Emperor

civman I becomes Emporer of Babylon, promising to learn how hard it is to wage war on monarchy level and promise to be more careful next time...

30 BC: Persia declares war after we refuse to pay tribute!!!!!!!!! The emporer introduces the new "war by the whip" plan to raise an army.

10 AD: Persians approach Ashur...

30 AD: Persians capture some workers! Defeat near Ashur!

50 AD: Uruk falls!

90 AD: Aztecs build Hanging Gardens ! Uruk liberated, and somehow despite the forseen losses in the war a golden age begins!!

110 AD: Uruk is destroyed.

130 AD: ZUlus join war against us!!!

150 AD: Many victories near the ruins of Uruk!

190 AD: Monarchy discovered!! ...No revolution because poprushing is essential... Susa builds Great Wall!! Immortals are seen! Persia contacted; will make peace if we give them Eridu, but I figure we'll capture Ergili soon (under siege) anmd just give that city to them for peace...

210 AD: Aztecs join the war!

260 AD: Persepolis builds Art of War!!!

270 AD: I give up hoping to take Ergili, and make peace, giving up Eridu .

280 AD: Persia is building Leo's!!! Revolution begins!

290 AD: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! Tarsus builds the great library (well, it's not that bad, education wouldve been discovered in a few turns anyway...), Babylon switches to colossus. Revolution ends, Babylon is now a monarchy.

300 AD: My turns end. We need iron and the settler being built is to rebuild Uruk. I must have poprushed about 20 times...But at least we proved we can SURVIVE in a war... We're gonna lose by spaceship or UN by 1500 if we dont get conquered...
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 300ad.zip (95.6 KB, 3 views)

Old April 15, 2002, 18:18   #45
civman2000
Emperor

it is important that we didnt get crushed immediately...if we couldve poprushed indefinitely without having to wait for the cities to grow I wouldve kept going for ergili, and we probably couldve taken it...

wait...of course it's important we didnt get crushed immediately, why am i even telling you this

Old April 15, 2002, 21:31   #46
Jonny

I'll most likely play my turns Tuesday. There's a 0.1% chance that I might play them tonight.
Old April 17, 2002, 21:16   #47
Jonny

I'm afraid you just need to skip me this time. My life is busier than it should be.

BTW, how are we going to handle the 1.21F patch coming out Friday?
Old April 17, 2002, 22:19   #48
civman2000
Emperor

I recommend we all get it on friday and just begin playing with it...

Old April 22, 2002, 17:19   #49
civman2000
Emperor

this game seems to be dying...

Old April 22, 2002, 20:23   #50
Jonny

GAME WAKE-UP CALL!!! Time to revive this game.

Journier has had 6 days to play, and he hasn't.

It is now rotten999's turn.

I have the 1.21 patch, by the time I play my next turn, everyone must have it.
Old April 23, 2002, 15:05   #51
Rotten999
Warlord

I'm patched and ready to have at it...results should be up by tonight.

I still think a suicide style rush could get us back in the game, provided we have time to set it up.

Last edited by Rotten999; April 23, 2002 at 18:09.
Old April 23, 2002, 18:31   #52
Rotten999
Warlord

Well, I thought I did well.

I can see why everyone was so afraid to play this turn, but come on! I doubt we'll have such problems on the next turn, what with my set-up.

The Reign of Hamurabi the Compliant

310: The Collussus of Babylon is completed! Merchants from around the world are drawn to the Babylonian capital like so much iron filings to a magnet.

Peace is concluded with the Zulus for 60 Gold. We can afford 60 Gold. We can't afford more riots in size one cities.

Speaking of which, three cities are in disorder. The mystery of the save no one wanted to play is solved.

Science cut to 30%, without any discernable effect on research time. More gold, though. We'll use war to catch up.

320: Disorder at Ashur. Units consolidate around Ashur to defend possible Aztec attacks.

330: Mapmaking is discovered. Real useful on pangea, friends.

340: Not much to speak of.

350: Barracks completed at Babylon. Time to begin cranking out horsemen.

360: Aztec take 60 gold for peace. Babylon is at peace with the world.

370: A generation grows up without knowing the constant spectre of war.

380: Golden Age ends. If that was our Golden Age, we need to get a dark age going, soon.

390: Horsemen built. Remember the plan: Massive sacrificial offensive at border Persian cities, than make a cruel peace.

400: Barracks at Ur

410: Milwaukee Brewers have won four straight.

420: Temple at Ashur. Happiness is starting to get back under control.

430: Horsemen built. Soon we will have revenge!

440: Tonight's game: Milwaukee vs. Montreal. I like their chances.

450: Isn't peace great?

460: The beer is cooling in the fridge for tonight's game.

470: Akkad completes Temple.

480: Pay 24 Gold in tribute to Persia. Soon we will punish them a hundredfold for this rapine!

Horseman built.

490: Our forces gather around Ashur.

500: Horseman built. Our army is becoming respectable.

Hamurabi the Compliant dies of chronic agreeableness syndrome. His dying words: Strenghten our armies for a few more turns, and than we assualt Persia. We must have revenge against our Blood Enemies!

Final thoughts: I managed to inact a coherent, practical plan to get us back to a semblance of respectability. The Persia border cities are ripe for conquest/destruction. After we grind down some of their empire, we can get a good peace. Rinse, repeat. Just wait until we have a good veteran force of Horsemen. Bowman can hold conquered cities. I really think this will be fun, if we don't give up one this game. I like the underdog role.

Forget about peaceful development. We need to be on the same page. It's fine to pay tribute to stay out of a war. When we fight it will be on our terms.

Again, we are consolidated near Ashur. When the army is ready (10 more turns or so) I trust you'll know what to do with it.
Old April 23, 2002, 18:36   #53
Rotten999
Warlord

The file.
Attached Files:
Old April 23, 2002, 18:44   #54
civman2000
Emperor

no peaceful development ?? You've got the wrong guy going after you. I doubt we'll have much chance against Persia wo/iron, I won't attack until the military advisor says we're at least equal in strength...

Old April 23, 2002, 21:51   #55
Rotten999
Warlord

Everything's in place, we can choke them out with our horsemen. Their border cities aren't connected, and I would suspect poorly defended. They're practically begging to be overrun.

I like peace sometimes, too, but at this level...
Old April 24, 2002, 21:45   #56
civman2000
Emperor

No war....
Highlights this time, no turn-by-turn (just for variety ):

World Headlines:
Aztecs found TUla near our borders in 550.
PErsepolis builds Leo's WOrkshop in 640.
Teotihuacan builds Sistine Chapel in 670.

Domestic:
Most cities grow 1-2, many now have entertainers for happiness purposes.
Babylon builds spearman and temple to combat overcrowding, it is now size 7!!
Workers were very busy....
We also advanced to the middle ages! (more details later...)
Only other highlight is that Ashur rioted in 540.

Foreign:
TOns of stuff:
First, in 500, I bought philosophy, math, and code of laws from aztecs for 1 gold per turn, 133 gold.
From 550-590, there was a big scare because some Persian immortals and musketmen were hanging around near the border. Later, we had to kick their workers out of our territory quite a few times....
In 630, I sold gems to Persia for currency, territory map, 24 gold, and 1 gold per turn. THey were then only cautious!!! THERE TERRITORY IS HUGE!!!!!!!
In 650, I checked, and they were polite!!
In 660, I sold Gems to the aztecs too for 18 gold, construction, and contact w/England. England is advanced but not as advanced as the other 3 people we know.
Current situation:
Zulus-annoyed
England and Aztecs-cautious
Persia-polite

Military:
In 660, our offensive military gained its 20th unit!
In all, the offensive miltary has almost tripled and now has something like 8 bowmen, 16 horsemen.

Science:
No science discovered other than what we traded for. With construction, we advanced to the middle ages and because we're scientific got montheism. Since then we have not discovered anything, adn still have 30-something turns for feudalism.

Advice/comments:
We cannot attack Persia. A horseman swarm would be crushed by their musketmen.
This would be a noce time to be india and get war elephants...
Longbowmen will be very important for us for a long time, especially because we probably wont have any saltpeter (we've got just 1 desert square and 3 hills or something like that...).
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 700ad.zip (137.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by civman2000; April 24, 2002 at 21:54.
Old April 24, 2002, 21:56   #57
civman2000
Emperor

Screenshot
Above is the stack outside Ashur.
Below is the world map. Red=Babylon, Dark green (not much)=Aztecs, Light Green=Persia
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	700ad.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	14022  

Old April 26, 2002, 23:04   #58
Jonny

Here's a quick overview of my 20 turns. I think I did a good job.

I decided to mainly improve things on the home front.

I decided that every city needed two defending units, either spearman, or later on, pikemen (yes, I got Iron fom the persians). Every city now has two defending units, except for Uruk, which isn't done.

By the way, Uruk is a new city. Built in 780.

I started a program of building marketplaces and libraries in all cities to improve our dreadful economy and research situation. I started with marketplaces first, and got some finished, which helped a lot.

On the foreign side of matters, things changed a lot.

We traded gems to the Persians for feudalism and iron.

We traded gems to the Aztecs for Chivalry and contact with the Americans.

The Americans want our wines and our gems, and we traded those for several assorted things.

We got the territory map of the Zulus, the Aztecs, the English, and the Americans. The English are really small, having been almost destroyed by the Americans.

Now that we have iron and can build pikemen and knights, we may want to consider an attack again. Knights actually have a chance of beating musketmen, and pikemen can hold offf against their knights. Not against Persia, but there is that one isolated Aztec city next to our territory...

Here's the file. By the way, everyone has to have 1.21 now.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 900 ad.zip (150.4 KB, 3 views)
Old April 26, 2002, 23:09   #59
Jonny

Oh, and here's our world map.

KEY
Red = us
Light Green = Persia
Dark Green = Aztecs
Orange = England
Yellow = Zulu
Light Blue = Americans
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	14127  
Old April 26, 2002, 23:23   #60
civman2000
Emperor

IRON YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think what really brought us into the world was the creation of the road between us and persia, allowing trade. Our gems and wines are the only thing we can offer anyone, but we can get nice stuff for them

PS: yes we cant attack persia unless we had a huge amount of knights and pikemen because we'd lose our iron.