Old April 5, 2002, 20:42   #1
Sencho
Warlord

Local Time: 14:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sencho-b-gone too.
It seems that people in moderating positions aren't allowed to voice opinions on Moo3 any longer. As such I've been stripped, wrongly as I feel, of my moderator status at the Delphi forums. Consequently, I'm terminating my affiliation with QS.

I ask the mods here to reset my nickname to whatever is appropriate for one of their guests, not to make a big fuss out of this post, and continue their good work.

As such, I will no longer be visiting the Delphi board and cannot keep you informed as to the progress of Moo3. I have had the pleasure of working with the people at QS and considered their treatment of fans a great success. But their sudden, dark about-face is troubling.

I still hope Moo3 turns out to be a great game of course, but I cannot support it based on the treatment I received.

Yours,
Sencho

"Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to be at fault, after all, and therefore ought to be received with great caution. " - Mark Twain
Sencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2002, 21:55   #2
ssgjames
Settler

Local Time: 22:38
Well, it had to take this to get me to come over here and post something.

I'm sorry about your bad experience, but may I ask what happened?
ssgjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2002, 21:55   #3
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 17:38
Well, hopefully this can still look good on a resume, if your real job is ever in danger. Hopefully you also have some good memories of the experience.

Maybe you should check out what Velociryx is doing, sounds like he wouldn't mind an extra hand.

Hahaha, you're probably hooked to the Poly forums now
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
mactbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2002, 21:58   #4
PlacidDragon
Settler

Local Time: 23:38
Darn it, the post appeared twice, and im not allowed to delete it..lol

Last edited by PlacidDragon; April 5, 2002 at 22:03.
PlacidDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2002, 22:00   #5
PlacidDragon
Settler

I am very sorry to hear that you are no longer moderating the MoO 3 Delphi board Sencho..believe it or not, even if the two of us didnt always see eye to eye on everything (ok..who am i kidding, we didnt...lol) you were always polite (as opposed to some other moderators, but i wont mention names).

Ever since Alan Emrich got his "ban" from posting on Delphi, things have been going downhill fast on that forum.

Suddenly, every "hot shot" from QS gets involved, Bill Fisher, Cory Nelson, Rantz is more visible than ever...and while they are trying to do some damage control, they are being as vague about what happens as possible. (maybe understandable due to their situation, but hardly acceptable, at least not from my standpoint)

These last few days have also seen the moderators running on a rampage...deleting at will, and for no apparent reason. (i bet it was you who deleted my post ! lol) When is this going to end, when they have banned all doubters and nay sayers of the board so they can run a board full of exultant "yes" people ? geez...i have seen a lot of things, but this move by QS looks to me like they cant wait to die of old age, but are already at digging their own graves....

I dont expect you to reply to this Sencho, i just needed to speak my mind
PlacidDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2002, 22:02   #6
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 18:38
"By the pricking in my thumb, something wicked this way comes."

"..strange things are afoot at the circle-K."

"I sense a presence I've not felt since..."

Between this, Alan Emrich's speach, and the recent gossip/news of feature cuts, I am losing confidence in MoO3.

What does it all mean?
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2002, 22:10   #7
DeadDireWolf
Settler

It means, my friend, you are correct.

Something wicked this way comes.
DeadDireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2002, 22:11   #8
SeanV
Chieftain

That's to bad Sencho.

This question has probably been asked by too many people already, but what in the world is going on at QS?

(Or at least what do you think is going on?)
Old April 5, 2002, 23:25   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Looks like Moo3 got infogreeded.
I wonder if its infogreeds policy to force publishers to be vague to the public.
Old April 6, 2002, 00:44   #10
Sencho
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanV
That's to bad Sencho.

This question has probably been asked by too many people already, but what in the world is going on at QS?

(Or at least what do you think is going on?)
The real problem is I was banned for 'bashing QSI' in other fora. Apparantly any comment that can possibly be considered negative is considered bashing, regardless of my right to speak freely on my own time.

When I talked to the producer about this, he talked about Mod's 'bashing' QSI. But he patently refused to answer when I asked if I was a problem. Further, at no point, were any rules of behavior codified to let me know there was a problem nor could any instances where I supposedly bashed QSI be found.

I'm very upset, very angry, and said producer is happy to sweep me under the rug instead of realize he's hyper-reacting. He's a nice guy, and I have enjoyed talking with him in the past, but right now this is completely unacceptable.

I'm angry, I've been slandered and misrepresented, and I've been asked to censor people all an employee representing QS who seems to have no problem doing this to a (former) die-hard fan.

If someone, as an official of a company, asks me to violate the rules and regulations of a forum, and laws of the US and California, I will react this way every time.

So, again, I have never, to the best of my knowledge, bashed QS.

"Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to be at fault, after all, and therefore ought to be received with great caution. " - Mark Twain
Old April 6, 2002, 01:19   #11
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:38
Its almost looking as though IG is in the process of creating yet another self-fulfilling prophecy. I'd guess them to be behind it after that lawsuit debacle over CF's German translation of civ3. Don't they understand that this sort of thing creates much more bad publicity in the most important elements of their fan base than a few negative opinions?
Negative opinions are just that. Opinions. But if these are deliberately quashed just for being then they become much more than that.

Condolences Sencho.

I can understand a few lay-offs if a project goes beyond its deadline and they have to try and redress their costs but this is starting to look pretty bad.
From what I knew of it I was going to get it as soon as it came out, pretty much no matter what.
Now I'm going to have to take a long hard look at it first before deciding...
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2002, 02:13   #12
Ace Pace
Settler

Local Time: 01:38
I'm sorry to see you go sencho.. ever sience alans banning QS seems to be doing damage conrol in the worng way (stoping bashers , over reacting and not in the right way realsing info to calm us).

I hope you had a fun time with QS. everything going down hill.
well I hope we shall still be able to chat.
Ace Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2002, 03:12   #13
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 00:38
sorry to hear about it Sencho. title("Volunteer MOO3 Events Dude" for the records) removed...

i hope you'll stay around here!

Last edited by MarkG; April 6, 2002 at 03:31.
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2002, 03:29   #14
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

They must be pretty hard up if you're the best scapegoat they could come up with.
Old April 6, 2002, 03:48   #15
Sencho
Warlord

Thanks everyone.

Mark, I won't be leaving. I love your forums, even if I don't frequent them as often as I like.

And Loinberger, that's the best theory I've seen yet to explain this madness.

Ace, I'm not dying, just refusing to participate on a forum that has become actively anti-fan.

Rav, I won't speculate beyond damage control gone maddeningly wrong. I'm just glad I was a lowly volunteer and not a paid employee. Then again, I enjoyed being a liason between them and you guys. Something about no good deed going unpunished.

Old April 6, 2002, 14:00   #16
PBakker
Settler

So you are still able to return sencho? i got the impression you were banned
PBakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2002, 14:18   #17
Sencho
Warlord

No, not banned. Just angry. In theory I can return there whenever I wish, but until several issues are redressed, there is absolutely no reason for me to go there.

Old April 6, 2002, 16:14   #18
player1
Emperor

Something I found on delphi forums:

Quote:
While Sencho has always been fair and supportive on these boards there was a poll and some posts on other forums that we felt were questionable. There was definately a grey area and the posts could have been interpreted either way, but moderators represent the company and so we felt it would be better to remove him. I'm sure some folks (including Sencho) disagree with the decision and certainly we didn't like making it. He has not been removed from the boards in anyway, we've just removed his Moderator status.

Cory Nelson, Producer
Quicksilver Software, Inc.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2002, 16:17   #19
player1
Emperor

I totaly disagree with Mr. Nelson.

Sencho should post what he wants in his free time on OTHER forums.
That's his private life.

He just should not break his NDA. (and he isn't)
Old April 6, 2002, 16:19   #20
player1
Emperor

And removing MODERatior status (on DELPHI forums) for posting something on OTHER (non DELPHI forums) forums looks silly.
Old April 6, 2002, 18:15   #21
Stormhound
Prince

A shovel not being a sufficient tool for the size of the hole they're digging, it appears that they've switched to a backhoe. We may need to locate a steam shovel next.

On the plus side, since this game is being aimed at a much broader market than just the hard-core fans, I'm sure that most prospective buyers aren't likely to have read any of this stuff...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew
Stormhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2002, 18:24   #22
PBakker
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormhound
On the plus side, since this game is being aimed at a much broader market than just the hard-core fans, I'm sure that most prospective buyers aren't likely to have read any of this stuff...
Games that are changed to please more people rarely work out you can't please anyone.

As far the ignorance of most buyers regarding QS's behavior that may work for the general population but i'm sure this knowledge will spread among the game developers, all it takes is on person who knows to post on another board and the avalanche begins.

Even I am beginning to switch to this board, because i have lost faith in MOO3 and don't want to be surrounded by paranoid mods and the eternal rumor machine
Old April 6, 2002, 18:45   #23
RealTimestopper
Settler

Local Time: 22:38
"No, not banned. Just angry. In theory I can return there whenever I wish, but until several issues are redressed, there is absolutely no reason for me to go there."

You were always fair. I scratch my head too?????

It is funny how someone always hears something different from what one says - even with the written word.
Just goes to show that we all speak English but we all understand a different language.

187 days to end of third quarter.

RealTimestopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2002, 18:51   #24
PBakker
Settler

It wasn't about being a fair mod, QS just didn't like the fact that sencho has an oppinion that doesn't completely agree with theirs.
Old April 6, 2002, 19:09   #25
tinmaddog
Settler

Quote:
A shovel not being a sufficient tool for the size of the hole they're digging, it appears that they've switched to a backhoe. We may need to locate a steam shovel next.

I find the extent to which they seem determined to shoot themselves in both feet quite astounding.

The appropriate response to speech one does not like has always been to counter with your own information / views, not to censor the speech you don't like.

I will undoubtedly still buy the game, because I think it will be fun. I will also undoubtedly feel a good deal of disdain for the company because:

1) A game is just a game.
2) Free Speech is NEVER "just" Free Speech.

An NDA I can respect. A hyper-over-reaction to manage "perceptions" deserves nothing but well-merited scorn.

I have to admit that I expected the fans on the delphi boards to over-react. I have to admit I also (wrongly) expected QS to NOT over-react - to keep their heads. Ah, well, always another opportunity for disappointment.

I wish there were a real way I could help you and sencho out - but short of that, I will give you my regards. Good luck, you two!

tmd
tinmaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2002, 19:39   #26
Stormhound
Prince

One further point of interest...Cory Nelson recently visited a certain location to complain that the persons there were afraid to make the same comments on the MOO board as they were in this other location.

Storm (my fiancee) took this as a challenge, and cut and pasted her remarks just a little while ago to prove that she was willing to say the same things in public as in private.

The post was deleted within an hour.

I think that we can see who's afraid of what at this point.

But don't worry, there's still worse news to come sometime around the middle of the month.

Old April 6, 2002, 19:51   #27
player1
Emperor

Quote:
But don't worry, there's still worse news to come sometime around the middle of the month.
What for example?
(you start to be pessimistic as yin)

Ah, now remebemer!

THE OFFICIAL LIST OF CUTS & SLASHS
Old April 6, 2002, 19:54   #28
player1
Emperor

Quote:
One further point of interest...Cory Nelson recently visited a certain location to complain that the persons there were afraid to make the same comments on the MOO board as they were in this other location.
Hmm, and where exacly is that location?

P.S.
This is not the delphi forum, nobody would delete your post for posting a link.
Old April 6, 2002, 20:29   #29
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Glorious! Morrowind, here I come!
Old April 6, 2002, 21:00   #30
Stormhound
Prince

Sorry, but that location is currently a private forum. Even I didn't know about it until after I became ex-QS and got invited.

BTW, Storm now reports she's also been banned from the chat room. Guess Cory really didn't want to hear people speak after all...

As to the bad news, it's not something you're already expecting, but that's all you get for now. Just keep in mind that I told you ahead of time that I'd have an announcement for April 1, and I think I had something interesting to say at that point...

Last edited by Stormhound; April 6, 2002 at 21:12.