Old April 6, 2002, 15:56   #1
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 17:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Historian Moonlights As PPL Recruiter
(-Jrabbit steps to the microphoone)
(ahem) Mr. President, Mr. Vice President, esteemed Cabinet members, and ppl of our democratic Monarchy --

I bring a report from the field. While tipping a few with Ming last night, he mentioned that Democracy Game organizers had asked him for recruitment threads on various forums, and that he had refused. "That game is dying!" he chortled, "and if it can't stand on its own, it deserves to die! Besides, they already have two old threads sitting out there. If they're to lazy to find them and bump them to the top, that's their problem."

(He also said that he could take over any AI civ in our game and thrash us with it. "That's what leadership by committee will get you!" he said.)

Noting the pathetic numbers of voters in recent polls, your loyal Historian took umbrage (which was lying conveniently on the table) and went into the field. The dead thread were located on the Civ2 General and Apolyton Community forums, and have been bumped to the top with return links.

All hail the glory of the United Minds of Apolytonia, long may we wave!

* (-Jrabbit leaves the podium, hoping no one notices that there's still no history thread) *

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old April 6, 2002, 18:48   #2
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Feel free to explain to Mr. Ming that the point is not whether a focussed individual could play a better game, but whether a committee (of the whole and part) can play a *successful* one.

I don't doubt that the average player could defeat a Democracy game group (especcially in the first attempts. But that is not the point of the effort.

I suspect that the very first ICS game, SSC game, or any other system was successful the first time tried.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old April 6, 2002, 19:05   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Err, good Jrabbit.

But I'm sure the ppl will not long go unaware of your omission - and when they notice there will be pain! (or perhaps indifference. The ppl are fickle bastards.)

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 6, 2002, 19:20   #4
Hywel Dda
Warlord

Local Time: 22:39
I am disappointed with Ming (whom I normally greatly respect). Speaking for myself, this has added an interesting new angle to a game with which I was otherwise become a bit bored. And it was well timed, too, catching the fallout from those disenchanted with CivIII.

If the rulers and Mods of Apolyton had any sense, they would respond to the fall in numbers by helping to promote the game further - what is it that they say on the Home Page?

Quote:
dedicated to the continued storage and retrieval of the most comprehensive collection of Civilization-related material on the Internet
That's a manifesto for killing new ways of playing the game before they've had a chance, is it? Perhaps that quote should be moved to the CivFanatics page...

-JRabbit: Well bumped! Now about that history...
Old April 6, 2002, 20:28   #5
cavebear
Emperor

Hmm... Wouldn't it be interesting to have one human player contesting (with an unknown Civ) against a Dermocracy Civ (equally unknown), along with several AI's. I'm not sure how the game would be managed, but the *idea* is intriguing...

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old April 6, 2002, 21:17   #6
Hywel Dda
Warlord

Local Time: 22:39
cavebear: The idea of playing against someone where you don't know whether it's a single person, a commitee of people, or a machine, is nothing new. It's existed since long before the days of computers:

Chess players have played by mail (using paper, ink and stamps, that is) since the year dot, and according to my chess-playing friends, the uncertainty as to exactly who or what you were playing has been made much use of.

So how would the game be managed? Well it's a play-by-(e)mail game, is the simple answer.

And yes, it would be very interesting indeed, but the single player would win, IMHO, if they had any experience of MP games, so I wouldn't take Ming on on this one if I were you: democracies argue too much, and machines are just crap!

But that has nothing to do with whether the Democracy game should survive - that's to do with how much fun it is, *not* who's the better player.

BTW - Most of us only communicate with Ming via this bulletin board, PM's and e-mails. This begs the question: is he a single person, a commitee, or a machine? Answers on a postcard...
Old April 6, 2002, 22:03   #7
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hywel Dda
Chess players have played by mail (using paper, ink and stamps, that is) since the year dot, and according to my chess-playing friends, the uncertainty as to exactly who or what you were playing has been made much use of.
Yeah, I've played that way. It always seemed to me that I was playing against a group (can you tell I usually lost?).

Quote:
So how would the game be managed? Well it's a play-by-(e)mail game, is the simple answer.
Perfect, PBEM would have to be the way it could work! Great idea. Never tried that, so it didn't occur to me.

Quote:
And yes, it would be very interesting indeed, but the single player would win, IMHO, if they had any experience of MP games, so I wouldn't take Ming on on this one if I were you: democracies argue too much, and machines are just crap!
Ah, but Ming (for example) wouldn't know who the Democracy Civ was either and could get quite a nasty surprise. But I agree with you in general. It would be hard to disguise and the focussed player would have the advantage.

Quote:
But that has nothing to do with whether the Democracy game should survive - that's to do with how much fun it is, *not* who's the better player.
Agreed.