View Poll Results: Would you play civ3 if all the portraits were famous Americans?
Yes - No problem. 5 8.77%
Yes - But I wouldn't be happy. 9 15.79%
No - I would get/make a mod to fix that. 16 28.07%
No - I would throw the game in the trash to spite the evil American programmers who did this. 27 47.37%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15, 2002, 13:07   #31
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is lack of post count akin to a tax on intelligence?
Old April 15, 2002, 13:08   #32
Dauphin
Deity

A new page makes my last statement seem really out of place. Oh well.
Old April 15, 2002, 15:53   #33
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
'akin to a tax of intelligence' would mean ... ?
Old April 16, 2002, 15:26   #34
Dauphin
Deity

It made sense at the time.

I think I was making a comment that it is preferential for people to post on-topic. Having spent the past two weeks studying taxes and taxation (and how tax policy can cause "brain" migration), I was applying learnt knowledge to a completely unrelated situation.

Old April 16, 2002, 17:47   #35
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
so in other words you just sucked?
Old April 24, 2002, 22:17   #36
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:40
AFAIK, zuse's machines were the same time as the brits (led by turing) but his were not embraced by the German military intelligence and had little use...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 14, 2002, 16:45   #37
Alanus
Warlord

Re: Best leader for ALL the civs?
Quote:
Originally posted by ~Vodka~

the AMERICANS!!!

They invented the *modern* computer as we know it today, they came up with Civilization as we know it(the game) and they ultimately get to decide who is the leader of one civ or another in their game...
Stupid poll indeed. BTW and FYI, the publisher of Civ3 Infogrames is a French company that as acquired A LOT of American game publishers. If you add Ubi Soft and others, the French are going to dominate the computer game industry ...
Old June 9, 2002, 16:23   #38
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Local Time: 02:40
May be ~vodka~ just drunk with vodka. Seems he has problem with cure alkoholism.
Old June 10, 2002, 14:10   #39
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Alanus
the French are going to dominate the computer game industry ...
Maybe in future it will prevent them being pink in civ games.
Old June 11, 2002, 20:15   #40
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 17:40
Re: Re: Best leader for ALL the civs?
Quote:

Stupid poll indeed. BTW and FYI, the publisher of Civ3 Infogrames is a French company that as acquired A LOT of American game publishers. If you add Ubi Soft and others, the French are going to dominate the computer game industry ...
I thought infrogrames was microprose after being bought by hasbro :-/.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 11, 2002, 20:52   #41
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

DUMB DUMB DUMB... and how are those British made computers anyways? OH YEAH THAT"S RIGHT HAHAHAH THEY SUCK!
Old June 12, 2002, 07:10   #42
Fresno
Warlord

Tsss.... and people felt offended by my thread...

I could post a serious comment here, but I guess that would be pointless.
Old June 12, 2002, 08:36   #43
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Seriously, choosing an American leader would be stupid. Next to Teddy Roosevelt, FDR and Lincoln, America hasn't had a lot of great leaders.

And since no one has conquered the world, I wouldn't want to put one guy (or girl) at the top. The people who have come the closest are Caesar and Alexander the Great.
Old June 12, 2002, 10:29   #44
lorddread
Warlord

Local Time: 16:40
Um, excuse me but history disagrees with you!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Seriously, choosing an American leader would be stupid. Next to Teddy Roosevelt, FDR and Lincoln, America hasn't had a lot of great leaders.

And since no one has conquered the world, I wouldn't want to put one guy (or girl) at the top. The people who have come the closest are Caesar and Alexander the Great.
Actually the Mongols conquered most of the known world. The only places that was truly safe were the Tuetonberg forrests, Spain and England. They captured Rome, the Middle East (rolled the King of Babylon up in a carptet and kicked him to death), parts of Africa.
Old June 18, 2002, 16:40   #45
Apolex
Warlord

In the immortal words of Comic Book Guy: "Worst idea EVER!"
Old June 21, 2002, 16:17   #46
Fresno
Warlord

Re: Re: Best leader for ALL the civs?
Quote:

Oh, that would be nice... Especially if every game was brought out in French only...

I wouldn't mind...
Old June 25, 2002, 13:40   #47
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 22:40
Frenchies
American leaders for every civ? What would be cool if leaders would change throughout the game based on cultural influence. So, if you wanted to play the Americans and your cultural influence was so large (yet not large enough to flip every town on the board) we may see American leaders replacing leaders of other nations...

As for the French eventually controlling the world of computer games... I don't think so. Yet, if by some fluke they do I am sure the Germans will find away to beat them up and take their candy... Then, the Americans will have to step in (again), because we are always in someone elses buisness, and tell Germany to give France it's candy back. Then Germany will say sorry and give it back laced with some sort of poison or something...

As for who invented the computer... My dad still calls a calculator a computer so I guess to have a good argument on this matter you must defined what a computer is... Is a typewriter a computer, no it is a mechanical device, yet so is a computer... but all that is ment by a computer is a thingy(<- technical word) that computes, right? Thus, the first COMPUTer must be the abacus... If we want to designate a computer as something that is capable of performing set functions based on prior human interface and limited human interface to set of the chain of events that eventually performs the function... (whew) I would say that it was the Brits who did that (Babbage and King)... Yet, if we want to refer to a computer as something on which we can play video games on (and as I hear can do other things as well) then I would say that America did that (UNIVAC)... And if we want to define a computer as a paper weight that ain't good for nothing but crashing, heck, I would blame a caveman (or Bill Gates)...

Nice wrench in the cogs there ~Vodka~ I wonder if I did any damage? If not then;

The French may one day control the world of gaming but the Americans will own the French. How?

They will do this through market stratagies by McDonalds, Pepsi, and the wonderful organization that is EuroDisney. Then, when the French can't get enough of that garbage they will take it away, citing that the French just don't deserve it, so where giving it to Quebec...(hehe)... The year of the take over will be marked by the grand opening of Disney Place Quebec (or some other dumb name) at which time the French will become so jealous of the American culture that they will trade their freedom for the return of the sweet honey as well as the Colonel's secret recipe... I am Noster-dumba##, my predictions will come true!