Old April 7, 2002, 09:43   #1
tigger
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
has anyone got a gigantic map of western europe?
I've finally made a start on the 80 years war scenario but I need a map of western europe. I have had a go at my own but my artistic skills are none existant. I need England, Netherlands, France, Spain, Germany and northern Italy. Ideally it needs to be as large as possible.
Old April 7, 2002, 15:51   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by tigger
Ideally it needs to be as large as possible.
As big as possible why not the whole world?

But maybe we shouldn't exaggerate it too much maybe you find here something useful.

Maybe the size could be to small than you have really to deal with the huge bitmap and the bmp2ctp2 converter.

-Martin
Old April 8, 2002, 04:22   #3
tigger
Chieftain

As big as possible why not the whole world?

The scenario is really concentrating on the Benelux countries, France, England, Germany and Spain so the whole world is much more than I need. Really I need a map that allows as many Dutch cities as possible. The dutch had colonies but really didn't expand across Europe so the Netherlands needs to be big for the scenario to work well.

But maybe we shouldn't exaggerate it too much maybe you find here something useful.

This was the first place I looked but the Europe maps have too many countries which are unnecessary for the scenario

Maybe the size could be to small than you have really to deal with the huge bitmap and the bmp2ctp2 converter

Its not really the map size but the area it covers which is the problem. I have downloaded a BMP file which would be ideal but I don't knw how to convert it. I read the various readme's on map making but they don't make much sense to me and when it comes to designing my own I'm afraid I've neither the artistic skill or the patience. I've attached the BMP file if anyone knows what to do...or could tell me what to do. HELP!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	europe_submap.bmp
Views:	6
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	12982  
Old April 9, 2002, 09:46   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Tigger, I'm not sure how to convert that map either but even if you succeed you still wouldn't have the right terrain. The map Martin posted is probably ideal for what you want, if you crop it to get rid of the undesired parts of the world and convert it using the bmp2ctp2 map converter. The file includes a readme with instructions on how to do this so it shouldn't be too hard. I would do it for you but the map is HUGE and my PC simply doesn't have enough memory for this (if you send me a cropped map I might be able to do the conversion though).
Old April 9, 2002, 10:31   #5
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Another question to tigger did you tried FRITZ' europe map? If yes what do you think about them?

-Martin
Old April 9, 2002, 10:43   #6
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Yes, those are quite nice as well. Problem is of course that they cover all of Europe, not just the northwest...
Old April 9, 2002, 10:45   #7
tigger
Chieftain

Locutus.....Ok I'll try it, but can't tonight as I've got some cricket training...ah the blessing of summer and real life!

Martin...I've got FRITZ's maps on my system but haven't had a look. I'll compare that and your recommendation and see what give me the bigger low countries. If I can sort the map out by this weekend life would be a lot easier as I am away until Monday.