Old May 9, 2002, 18:08   #31
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 17:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CHAPTER II -- MARQUIS DE SODAQ -- PART 4
Chapter II -- Part 4
The Reign of Marquis de Sodaq

In due course, the first sailors were trained to set forth away from the island of Apolytonia, bravely determined to explore uncharted waters. Before they departed, Foreign Advisor adamsj and Miltary Advisor shade offered words of wise counsel.

“Go forth,” quoth adamsj, “remembering always to stay within sight of land.”

Shade advises, “Verily, it is said: Only fools doth go where brave men fear to sail.”

Meanwhile, the wise men continued their studies. Many ideas were examined and discarded. Finally, in 1700 BC, they announced to the High Council their concept for a new technology called Currency. Unlike Currants from the farmers and Curry from the kitchens, it was found to be inedible. And yet, the wise men insisted that it would someday prove useful. The High Council takes the matter under advisement.

Fortunately, the explorations of the seafaring triremes prove more successful. By 1500 BC, the island north of Apolytonia has been reached. A hut is discovered and entered. Inside are found a huddled band of nomads, more than eager to join the obviously advanced and intrepid explorers.

The North Island proves bountiful and, in 1400 BC, the cities of Ten Zuiden and Walvis Baai are settled.there. The High Council rejoices at the news, knowing that in growth there is power. Historian AlbertB expresses his relief that a civilization without writing is a civilization that doesn't have to worry about spelling. Meanwhile, the intrepid trireme sets sail to explore the nearby western island.

Reaching the western island, another "first contact" situation arises. Already founded there is a city, inhabited by an “advanced” tribe. However, having seen the wonders of United Apolyton from afar, this tribe begs to join our democratic ways, promising eternal loyalty and devotion in return. After a suitable period of consideration, their city (called, oddly, “Rivertown”) is welcomed into the nation in 1350 BC.

Soon thereafter, perhaps inspired by our expansion to other islands, the wise men excitedly announce that they have now mastered the advanced scientific concept of Trade! City Planner kassiopeia and Imperial Expansion Advisor Frank Johnson meet in 1300 BC to discuss the ramifications and agree that the time has come to awaken Trade Advisor El Lawrence from hibernation. Ironically, Historian Albert B falls asleep.

It is known and, in some quarters, feared that the President’s first term of office is nearing its end. It has been a time of discovery and growth. United Apolyton is held in high esteem by all, yet there is trepidation in the face of change. To allay their fears, President de Sodaq calls a town meeting, attended by all -- the High Council, the wise men, and the ppl.

“Fear not, my ppl,” says President de Sodaq. “Just as I was not truly known to you as we set upon this jouney of democracy, so too will be your future. I declare that the next election shall go forth as scheduled, and that a new leader shall emerge to guide us to an even greater future.” At this point, some say, a curious smile appeared on the face of Vice President Shaka Naldur

In his “lame duck” turn as President, Marquis de Sodaq was determined to add one final triumph to his legacy. In 975 BC, his wish was granted, as the wise men -- finally -- report that they have figured out what to do with the Alphabet skills they have toyed with for the past 3,000 years. Writing is discovered, promising a new era of knowledge and diplomacy.

Foreign Advisor adamsj immediately volunteers to remain in his present office, energized by the thought of “finally having something to do.” Inspired, the rest of the High Council also agrees to a second term, if the new President will have them. In their excitement, they fail to notice AlbertB, perhaps the one council member who could benefit the most from this new technology, still asleep in his chamber.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten

Last edited by -Jrabbit; May 9, 2002 at 18:13.
Old May 9, 2002, 18:09   #32
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

CHAPTER II -- MARQUIS DE SODAQ -- PART 5
Chapter II -- Part 5
The Reign of Marquis de Sodaq

Leaving that issue for his successor, President Marquis de Sodaq gathers his meager personal belongings, along with a few insignificant souvenirs of office (the leather chair , a case of wine left over from last year’s Day of Adams-J celebration, and some assorted campaign gifts from High Council members and right-minded citizens).

Making his final State of the Democracy speech, Sodaq notes the vast progress attained by United Apolyton. Growing from anarchic roots to now inhabit three islands, the population has exploded. The wise men have become better scientists with each discovery, as each new technology suggest a path to further progress. The list of known sciences now includes:

Alphabet -- Bronze Working -- Ceremonial Burial -- Code of Laws -- Currency
Map Making -- Monarchy -- Pottery -- Trade -- Warrior Code -- Writing

President Marquis de Sodaq thanks the ppl for their indulgence and expresses his wish that the next President continue to rule with the will of the ppl foremost in his mind, tempered to wisdom by the advice of the High Council. The Marquis rambles on about the joy of leadership and the need for humility amid the grandeur of his reign :rolleys: until Vice President Shaka Naldur jabs him in the ribs.

Le Marquis, realizing that his time has come and gone, accepts a stylus from the Vice President, and dips it in a thick gooseberry paste. He then signs his resignation papers, commenting wryly that “The stylus, perhaps one day, may be mightier indeed than the sword or pike.” The High Council bursts into laughter.

Town criers are dispatched to all cities, announcing the end of the Era de Sodaq and the opening of polls for the new election. The result is minor panic in the streets. Men search their souls for bravery in the face of the unknown. Women burst into tears , wailing in the streets. Dogs howl at the moon. Historian AlbertB sleeps.

So ends the Era de Sodaq.

Last edited by -Jrabbit; May 9, 2002 at 18:14.
Old May 10, 2002, 17:21   #33
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
good

i´m sure that marquis is loving this
Old May 12, 2002, 22:57   #34
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 16:42
A fine history, indeed!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 13, 2002, 06:55   #35
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 22:42
Well done but still in ancient history, can we please have more update one, please!
Old May 13, 2002, 08:11   #36
-Jrabbit
Deity

Rome wasn't built in a day. (Well, in Civ, it was, but you get my point.)

More biz travel in RL this week (fabulous Cleveland!!) but I'll do what I can.

Old May 13, 2002, 08:20   #37
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've just read them for the first time, -Jrabbit and I have to say that you can't hurry genius!

Now, I just need to get some more things done and maybe someday I'll be reading about myself as a great in the Annals of -Jrabbit.

I look forward to the Benevolent Dictator shade's rule, and the truth behind the numerous assassination attempts that were censored by the (State-owned) press of the time....

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 13, 2002, 12:16   #38
-Jrabbit
Deity

Thanx MWIA.

Old May 14, 2002, 06:38   #39
James Adams
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
Thanx MWIA.
Well done, but get going!
Old May 14, 2002, 11:56   #40
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

The problem is that he's always unopposed in elections so he doesnt have to worry about getting much done

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 14, 2002, 13:56   #41
-Jrabbit
Deity

What, me worry??

I volunteered for this gig when the notorious AlbertB was found lacking. I enjoy writing and flatter myself that I have some skills in that area. So I thought I'd try to contribute beyond poll voting. Finding time to do it well and catch up with our past is, admittedly, a problem.

I must say, however, that Actual Contributions are welcome and would be a big help.
As opposed to the Whining Complaints that I seem to be getting... : : : :

As for running unopposed -- I'm against it!!
I say -- Bring it on!

And let this be the first public notice that I'll be unavailable for the month of July due to business and personal travel commitments (Switzerland, France, Nashville, Boston) most of that month.

Old May 14, 2002, 16:54   #42
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 23:42
quality over quantity

-Jrabbit : don't rush through it, take your time , so we can enjoy your words.

(@ impatient ppl=> be patient )

Shade
Old May 16, 2002, 06:53   #43
James Adams
Prince

Sorry Mr. Historian, do as you like, but do not come back crying when the game is ruined, by lack of histories!
Old May 21, 2002, 08:56   #44
-Jrabbit
Deity

*bump*

Old May 21, 2002, 09:01   #45
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Does this mean an upcoming press release from the historical society, or are you just following my posts?

/me looks

Old May 21, 2002, 09:25   #46
timmy2tone69
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:42
When is the next election?

Last edited by timmy2tone69; May 21, 2002 at 09:30.
Old May 21, 2002, 09:31   #47
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Pretty picture, if somewhat randomly placed.

Elections are end of the month, ie about the 28th. And I have to start them off.

EDIT: Hey, where'd the dragon go? I DID see it, didn't I?

Old May 21, 2002, 09:34   #48
timmy2tone69
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:42
it went bye bye
Old May 21, 2002, 12:50   #49
-Jrabbit
Deity

MrVP -- I bumped this thread because it had fallen a bit, and I just send MarkG the monthly (?) update on the Democracy Game. With a couple new members, plus all those ppl about to link here, it was one of the items that I thought should be accessible.

Old May 21, 2002, 19:37   #50
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Hmm. I hate to say it, -Jrabbit, but there's an error in your summary for the Civ2 page.

*Crowd gasps - Did he say an error?*

Yes that's right, an error. I was not the runner up in the Presidential poll - I never ran. Instead, I lost the Trade war with shade, and was appointed VP by the farsighted President.

We will not send you to Siberia just yet, however - it appears you have made friends in the Council.

Old May 22, 2002, 08:20   #51
-Jrabbit
Deity

Quote:
*Crowd gasps - Did he say an error?*

Yeah, well, I'm only human and I had promised MarkG something last Friday.

Re editorial inaccuracies -- there's more!! (crowd dutifully gasps again) I said our reputation is "Spotless" (using my faulty memory chip) when research indicates it is actually again, (IIRC) "Excellent." Plus there were a couple typos. Plus, all apostrophes got translated into dashes. (Original document was MS Word -- lost a bit in translation to vB text/HTML.)

* Changes hats from "Historian" to "Publicist" *
Fortunately, it's just a game. All I hope to accomplish with Apolyton News is to get a few new Citizens checking us out.

Quote:
it appears you have made friends in the Council.
I rather thought you might be one of them... As for Siberia, I'll only worry about that if MdS's Secret Police start sniffing around. And even then, I know how to deal with them. ( )

Old May 22, 2002, 15:01   #52
cavebear
Emperor

I hereby issue a Presidential Pardon to the Historian for any minor errors of historical accuracy, concerning the matter of selection of the current Vice President.

The election involved some back-room politicking and deals for which the Historian is not to be blamed for having confused slightly. At the time, it was not forbidden to seek 2 offices, and the selection of the VP was forced by lack of candidates. The other candidate for President, Shadowlord, and I both sought the same 2 positions (President and City-Planner). I, having gained the greater votes for President, naturally chose that position. But Shadowlord preferred (as would have I) to participate as City-Planner rather than VP. No other person having sought the position of President, I selected MWIA for the job.

I think we can trust that future elections will not be subject to the same kinds of confusion.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old May 22, 2002, 15:23   #53
-Jrabbit
Deity

"confusion" or ...
"collusion" ????

(I know, I know... pretty smartassed for someone who just got a Presidential pardon.)

Cavebear -- Your thank-you note is in the mail ( )

Old May 22, 2002, 16:16   #54
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
"confusion" or ...
"collusion" ????

(I know, I know... pretty smartassed for someone who just got a Presidential pardon.)

Cavebear -- Your thank-you note is in the mail ( )
Confusion or collusion is up to the Historian to tell, isn't it? Historical perspective is not the problem of the present.

Your "thank-you note" had better arrive soon. I have a campaign to finance.

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old May 23, 2002, 02:05   #55
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

- it appears you have made friends in the Council.
Quote:

I rather thought you might be one of them...
Of COURSE I am friends with the Historian. I must make sure that our records appropriately detail all of my wondrous successes whilst VP...

So, which luxury villa there, -Jrabbit? Oh, VERY good choice. I'll tell my real estate agent.

Remember, -Jrabbit will in the future be seen as the hero who saved us all from certain doom, pioneered the (successful) attack on Egypt, and was the REAL power behind every President, VP and Minister right from the moment he deposed the dubiously moraled Albert B.

Such is the way of he who writes the histories (it does have SOME perks, then ).

Old May 23, 2002, 08:10   #56
-Jrabbit
Deity

Old May 27, 2002, 23:08   #57
Bigcash
Settler

Get cracking, historian! I, too, like to flatter myself into thinking I have writing talents, so I'm watching for if you slip up. But besides that, excellent job. I am amused. Hur hur.
Old May 28, 2002, 07:50   #58
-Jrabbit
Deity

Welcome, Settler Bigcash.

Unfortunately for the Democracy Game, Chicago had great weather this weekend, so 3 more days passed without historical scribblings. Nice to know there's someone waiting in the wings, as I will be taking July off.

Old May 28, 2002, 11:04   #59
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigcash
Get cracking, historian! I, too, like to flatter myself into thinking I have writing talents, so I'm watching for if you slip up. But besides that, excellent job. I am amused. Hur hur.
Then you had better keep encouraging the Historian to catch up with his scribblings. Or else you will find that your duties require you to write about the history that occurred before you arrived. Can you just imagine how many old threads you will have to read if that becomes the case?

On the other hand, when -Jrabbit retires, there may be a lot of competition for such a cushy job!

Old May 28, 2002, 11:12   #60
-Jrabbit
Deity

I've got ink-stained robes , writer's cramp , and a constant headache !.
Plus, the scientists developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and gave it to me!

Not quite the cushy gig you might think...