Old March 11, 2001, 18:43   #1
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 16:49
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Change Production Penalties
I was commenting in the Civ II General forum about the current craze of Succession Games and it occurred to me that one of the things that makes Civ II a much better canditate for the succession style of gaming than say SMAC is the fact that there are no production penalties when changing production from one item to another within the same category. This is something that happens a lot in a succession game, so I hope that the "production penalty model" in Civ III will be like Civ II rather than SMAC.

John-SJ
Old March 12, 2001, 12:50   #2
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:49
I agree, and they could probably take it one step further and have a 10-25% production penalty for switching to something in the same category (though if you switch back before the end of the turn, it would be as if you haden't switched at all) and a 40-60% penalty for switching to another category.
Old March 17, 2001, 14:26   #3
The diplomat
King

Lower the production penalty for changing propduction in mid stream?!?!?

I was under the impresssion that being able to change production on a whim was a BIG problem that we wanted solved in civ3. I remember a thread back in the days of the list, where we were talking about how unrealistic and wrong it is to be able to switch production half way through with no penalty. I mentionned once how I did not like how a civ could be building say the Great Pyramids and switch to an unrelated Wonder like King ichard's Crusade and not loose any production.

So, reducing production penalty would resurrect this problem, wouldn't it?
Am I missing something? Could somebody explain it to me, please?

------------------
No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
Old March 18, 2001, 01:56   #4
wittlich

I concur, I do hope that Firaxis lowers the production penalties for changing production in mid-stream. But I do what some kind of penalty if you do decide to change your production. Oh, how about this: a Wonder of the World which would allow to change production with no penalties attached?! Opps, I guess this should be in a different thread...

Old March 19, 2001, 03:55   #5
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 20:49
Seems to be a question of realists vs. strategists.
Old March 19, 2001, 08:03   #6
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 17:49
diplo, airdrik didn't mean lowering the penalty, he is introducing a new penalty for switching within construction categories. Switching between improvements and units would still have the 50% penalty (which can be changed in rules.txt, btw). This is a penalty for switching from one type of unit to another, from one improvement to another. I think that is unnecessary.
Old March 19, 2001, 08:42   #7
The diplomat
King

quote:

Originally posted by Straybow on 03-19-2001 07:03 AM
diplo, airdrik didn't mean lowering the penalty, he is introducing a new penalty for switching within construction categories. Switching between improvements and units would still have the 50% penalty (which can be changed in rules.txt, btw). This is a penalty for switching from one type of unit to another, from one improvement to another. I think that is unnecessary.

Thanks for the explanation. What you said makes sense.

------------------
No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.